How do we get him to adjust?

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I have a degu (small rodent) and had to buy him a new water bottle as the old one cracked.....I bought a newer style that you do not have to remove from the cage to fill, making it last longer, however, because of the way it is held onto the cage, it can't be put where his old one was. It is actually all the way at the other end of the cage, on the bottom level. He has seen it, and smelled it, as it is right beside his wheel (not beside his food where it has always been), but he does not seem to understand that he drinks from it. I have tried leading him over to it and tapping the end so the water comes out thinking he might understand that. I have not seen him drinking yet, and I know from experience that because he is so small he can't go too long without food or drink. How do I get him to understand what it is? I am starting to get worried that he might dehydrate......

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Had similar with chinchillas we had, they could chew through the soft metal spout thing so bought a different bottle and they wouldn't touch it...at all. As chinchillas don't eat wet food we didn't feel like we could leave them any length of time to let them adjust so basically sucked it up and bought the bottle they loved to destroy!

I'm not up on degu food but if they don't eat wet food then I would get another old style bottle asap and locate it back to its old place...then slowly move it over a few weeks to the newer style bottle (which you should leave in place throughout)