Vegan Protein Shakes

Options
Hello everybody! I am newly vegan and looking to do a shake as a meal as I start upping my workouts. I am looking for suggestions or ones that you have tried and hated. Thank you in advance! :happy:

Replies

• KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I swear by Vega. They're pricy, but delicious and have really clean ingredients (no soy, gluten, added sugar, etc. - if I remember correctly the protein is usually hemp and/or pea). I usually use the performance protein powder after long-runs or especially hard workouts (mixed with some frozen fruit and almond milk, and sometimes peanut butter - yum!), and occasionally replace a meal with the Vega One smoothie stuff.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been using Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder -- it's organic, raw, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, nothing artificial, etc. Main ingredients are sprouted grains and sprouted beans, including brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, garbanzo bean, lentil, adzuki bean, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds -- all sprouted so they're easier to digest. Also expensive, but I've found a good source to buy at a discounted price. No, I don't work for anyone involved with this product -- I just LOVE it! Oh, yes -- 80 calories and 17 grams of protein per serving.

I throw in a banana, some dark leafy greens, and some berries (along with water) -- nice energy source.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know it has a really bad rap here but I use and like chocolate vegan shakeology. No it's not cheap but it fills me up nicely. I have had one for breakfast probably 140 out of the last 150 days. 8 oz almond milk, scoop shakeology, scoop vibrant green, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 squirt vega EFA, little bit of agave. Yum :) I will also toss in a banana or some other berries from time to time.
  • bglotfel
    bglotfel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've actually never replied to a post before but I saw this one and decided to answer because honestly when I became vegan, protein was one of the things that I agonized over. As for shakes and the like I def. agree that Vega products rock. They cost more but you get what you pay for; their whole performance line is pretty fantastic. I love their chocolate protein shake, I put it in the blender with ice, almond milk, some peanut butter and a banana. It's great after a good run or hard work out.
  • ebarrus
    ebarrus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    how many servings are in the vega shakes? I am on herbalife but it has casein in it and I would like to switch.
  • bglotfel
    bglotfel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About 22 I believe
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I use Nutribiotic brown rice protein, plain or chocolate. It doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own and goes well with pretty much everything. I have also tried pea and hemp protein, but like the taste of rice protein better.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    I used up my last container of the old formula of Vega and haven't tried the new recipe. I will have to get a sampler packet.

I've been using Garden of Life Raw Protein in my morning smoothies - one cup of frozen berries, one banana, one tablespoon of flax oil, one scoop of protein powerder, and 1.5 cups almond milk. Delicious!
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the replies! It sounds like I have a few options to explore. I started looking online and was very overwhelmed. This has helped a ton! Thank you guys and gals!! :happy:
  • pstansel74
    Options
    On the Garden of Life stuff has anyone tried the flavored ones? Looks like Chocolate and Vanilla?
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you using protein powders. I actually was about to buy myself some, but was surprised that they were only about 20% or so of your daily recommended value. I was expecting them to be higher, I suppose, for the cost per serving.

Am I just completely missing the point of these? It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to come up with some homemade snacks that could fit the bill as well as these powders... ?
  • MeanieD
    Options
    On the Garden of Life stuff has anyone tried the flavored ones? Looks like Chocolate and Vanilla?

I like the vanilla powder because I can mix it with a variety of different smoothies/juices.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Question for those of you using protein powders. I actually was about to buy myself some, but was surprised that they were only about 20% or so of your daily recommended value. I was expecting them to be higher, I suppose, for the cost per serving.

Am I just completely missing the point of these? It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to come up with some homemade snacks that could fit the bill as well as these powders... ?

The Garden of Life Raw Protein is 33% of the daily protein intake - that's before you add your soy/almond/rice milk. If you do that three times a day, you'll meet your protein requirement.

I like Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet for homemade superfood ideas. I like to make the energy bars to keep around. He encourages a lot of hemp protein.
  • pstansel74
    Options

I like the vanilla powder because I can mix it with a variety of different smoothies/juices.

I bought the chocolate... man is it bleh :)
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The Garden of Life Raw Protein is 33% of the daily protein intake - that's before you add your soy/almond/rice milk. If you do that three times a day, you'll meet your protein requirement.

I like Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet for homemade superfood ideas. I like to make the energy bars to keep around. He encourages a lot of hemp protein.
    [/quote]

Good to know. The ones I had been looking at had roughly 17-20%. I will look into that one. I am having a hard time meeting my protein needs. Plus I want to start hitting the gym again and I know that I will need more protein than what I am getting. Thanks! :)
  • blunder_bolt
    blunder_bolt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Good" brand Hemp protein powders are good (if you can get them where you are). Add Soya Milk, a couple of bannanas and some Kale. Thats a common one for me.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For price and protein to calories ratio, I haven't beat Now's pea protein. Try looking on chocolatecoveredkatie.com for shake and smoothie recipes. Since I've been adding less of whatever non-dairy milk I've been using (more than half but less than a full cup), letting the frozen fruit defrost for about an hour, and adding a little vanilla extract, I've been enjoying my smoothies much more. I also like them more with chia seeds. Some of the smoothies I make have banana, but I don't find them (or tofu or avocado) necessary for smoothness.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This site seems to have some of the best prices around AND has customization!!

http://www.truenutrition.com/c-71-vegan-products.aspx
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, Garden of Life looks great. I have some that I use occasionally.

Problem is, it's like drinking sand! I really, really hate the gritty texture. The taste isn't great either, but I could get over if it the texture were better. Unfortunately, drinking that stuff feels like punishment to me. I will be so happy when I'm done with the container because I want it out of my life.
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    LoveMyArmyMedic Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you posted this topic! I've been wondering the same. Right now I'm using SunWarrior Warrior Blend Plant-Based Raw Protein in Vanilla. It's Gluten Free, Soy Free and Dairy Free (also Non-GMO). 1 serving provides 32% of your daily protein intake. I think it tastes great in plain almond milk. It also tastes great in smoothies. My favorite smoothie with it is: spinach, strawberries, banana, some chia or flax seeds and almond milk! :)