Thanksgiving Week - Lord Give Me Strength!

Options
Well, this is the week of our first big challenging holiday of the season! I wanted to post a special topic to make sure that we have a place to keep our seasonal challenge goal in our mind this week! If you do well - it goes a long way in proving to yourself that you can handle whatever December has to throw at you!! And if you don't - I say brish yourself off, try to pick up on at least one thing you could change going into December celebrations - and don't get too hung up on it!

Here's a little story!!

Every year we go to my Mother-in-Laws for Thansgiving dinner. She is one of the best cooks that I have ever had to pleasure of meeting - and I don't mean in a fancy-smancy kind of way. She just has a way of making anything she cooks or bakes taste amazing - without using alot of ingredients you've never heard of, or loading up with tons of butter, sugar or salt. And since we are all trying to eat more healthy - she plans a menu ensured to have a little something for everyone, with lots of veggies and protein! Over the years, we have learned to limit pre-dinner snacks - so that we can fully enjoy this amazing dinner she prepares each year!

This year will be no different. I know that I can have a nice but delicious balanced meal without feeling terribly guilty. And yes, I am sure I will overeat a little, and yes, I will indulge in a peice of pumpkin pie, and yes, even a glass of sparkling wine! And will I feel guilty - nope! This time with family is precious and should be enjoyed. Just remember that one meal, and not one day will make you or keep you overweight or unhealthy. It makes me sad when people are so overwhelmed with worry over what they will eat, that they forget what the holiday is really about.

So to all my MFP and holiday challenge friends...have fun this Thanksgiving. Enjoy a great dinner with great friends and/or family, and don't over-think it, don't fret about it and just have fun!

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

Sharon

Replies

• javajudi77
    Options
    Glad you are in a better place. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all MFP friends. Enjoy small bites of what you like and leave the rest. That will be my strategy. I practiced it at church today during a Thanksgiving dinner. Did pretty good but ate the entire piece of pie. Thursday I will take a bite or two of the dessert I want and that is all. I'll report back later as to my success.

I am so thankful for all of you.
    Judi
  • jfthomas76
    jfthomas76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy to be a part of this group - this hasn't been my most sucsessful weight loss season but having this group to check in with week to week is reall a big with keeping me accountable. I'm going into Thanksgiving with the atitude of everything in moderation - nothing is off limits as long as I don't over do anything.

To be honest I'm less worried about Thanksgiving than I am about a birthday gathering I'm going to on Saturday for a good friend - we're going to an all you can eat chocolate/dessert buffet talk about heaven & hell all wrapped up in one!

I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgivings and I look forward to checking in again to see how we all did!
  • jenguhl
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all! I agree with Sharon on this one- one day does not derail anyone's progress. This is a day to be thankful for all the blessings in our lives and if a good meal is one of them, good for us! It is shaping up to be a stellar day here in northern Indiana, the sun is shining and it's about 60 degrees- amazing for this time of year. I will be spending the day with my in laws (absolutely awesome people) and will get to be with my family this weekend.

Have a wonderful day!