Excuses

Options
hulkling
hulkling Posts: 35 Member
I am overweight because I am lazy and greedy (Although I have been less lazy and greedy since I changed my lifestyle)

There are definitely genuine people out there who have an eating disorder that is psychological in nature but I notice that a LOT of people on this site have an excuse for being overweight. It may just be because the majority of people on here are based in the USA, but I notice it particularly from our American cousins.

Do you think most people are genuine with their excuses or do you think that humans tend to always want to displace blame?

Replies

• helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think it easier to blame something or someone else than accept responsibility for your own weight problems.

But you are absolutely right. I got fat because I ate too much of the wrong stuff and didn't do enough exercise.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    There's only one reason you gain weight, you consume more calories than you expend. The reasons you consume the calories are, I'm guessing, what you're getting at... and those reasons are different for each individual.

Live and let live, offer advice or assistance when you are able to, enjoy your healthier lifestyle :flowerforyou: (my healthier lifestyle has turned me into a hippy)
  • hulkling
    hulkling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I have no doubt that some people, a LOT of people are genuine.

But it bothers me when people say I am fat BECAUSE....

If they have a reason, an excuse, then it also gives people that opt-out of working at it. If there is a psychological reason (Trauma, abuse, self esteem issues etc) then seek therapy to fix that issue rather than people yoyo dieting and always blaming failure on the BECAUSE...

I think that came across harsher than I meant it to, but I think taking ownership and responsibility for your weight is the only way you can fix it in the long term?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You are right, it is only when you take responsibility for it yourself that you can actually tackle it. A bit like giving up smoking: all the doctors in the world can tell you it'll kill you, but only when YOU want to stop does it become possible - and one's health isn't even necessarily the turning point, often it is vanity, career opportunities etc.

Just as you need to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight, you have to want weight loss/health more than whatever caused the over-indulgence in the first place.

It's all about addressing the imbalance :happy:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Excuses-excuses. yes there are a lot of them on here.

And it does come down to eating too much and not exercising enough. At the moment, that's me. I can see it too, as I've gained a shedload.

Getting back on track, slowly but surely :)
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    People are always looking for shortcuts and magic ways of losing weight because the 'proper' way of exercise and eating less is unfortunately hard..
  • Jason3589
    Options
    People are always looking for shortcuts and magic ways of losing weight because the 'proper' way of exercise and eating less is unfortunately hard..

people always have an excuse

check this out for excuses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZJcqra5RQ&feature=g-user-u
  • gnr123
    Options

people always have an excuse

check this out for excuses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZJcqra5RQ&feature=g-user-u

hahaha I think I am a little bit in love with him...So true though..
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I fit the 'ate too much and sat on my backside' crew.. but I don't think it's for me to pass judgement on others. I am only responsible for my own body, what I put into it and what I exercise out of it.
    If someone has a medical condition that causes weight gain or more difficult weight loss then that is their journey to walk, and if I can support I will. I think of my brother, who has a donated kidney and therefore steroids. He's always been extremely fit and healthy but can look puffy with the steroids. You wouldn't know that to look at him, he's a guy in his 20s. I know with PCOS it can be easy to put weight on and hard to get it off - but I'm proof that it is possible. Bottom line, it's not for me to judge who is 'making excuses' and who is genuinely walking a difficult road. But I'm trying not to make excuses for myself, even though I'm disappointed that my brain is still fighting me if given half a chance!
  • gnr123
    Options
    I fit the 'ate too much and sat on my backside' crew.. but I don't think it's for me to pass judgement on others. I am only responsible for my own body, what I put into it and what I exercise out of it.
    If someone has a medical condition that causes weight gain or more difficult weight loss then that is their journey to walk, and if I can support I will. I think of my brother, who has a donated kidney and therefore steroids. He's always been extremely fit and healthy but can look puffy with the steroids. You wouldn't know that to look at him, he's a guy in his 20s. I know with PCOS it can be easy to put weight on and hard to get it off - but I'm proof that it is possible. Bottom line, it's not for me to judge who is 'making excuses' and who is genuinely walking a difficult road. But I'm trying not to make excuses for myself, even though I'm disappointed that my brain is still fighting me if given half a chance!

Fair point :smile:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Half of my weight is from being in a long term relationship and getting lazy (which I'm out of now, thankfully) and the other half of my weight is from low thyroid levels :frown:

I can't stand all these 'magic' workouts and diet plans.. Exercise, stay under your calorie goal, drink plenty of water, you're sorted!
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm podgey cause I'm lazy. I watch lots of films, which isnt very good for calorie burning!! Doesnt help that I have a skinny boyfriend who doesn't need to watch anything he eats, so I have to be really tough on myself now to stop eating the crap he eats!

I hate it when people have lame excuses, my niece is one of them "I cant exercise cause I have flat feet!" "I weight this much cause Its all muscle!" coming from a size 22 girl...It drives me up the wall, she has an excuse for everything! Just accept that you need to change....!

#rant over.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are trying to explain rather than give excuses?
  • nicnic2
    Options
    I think there there is a distinct difference, in any aspect of behaviour, between a reason and an excuse. Excuse, to me, suggests a need for explanation or justification to others. A reason is just that - a set of preceding circumstances that led to the current state. If someone says' I am overweight because I have BED' it doesn't mean they are trying to excuse themselves to anyone but they may feel the need to be open about their condition, especially in an online community where they have relative anonymity.

This isn't a competition. We are all here to take care of ourselves a little more, not judge the lives of others or justify ourselves to them.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I fall into got fat because I ate too many Cornish pastys and pints of beer, just my gob & hands doing it, no other reason
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think people only make excuses when they don't want to change..

Reasons are totally different.. I can tell you exactly why I'm overweight.. and I suppose some people need to share these reasons to feel less ashamed of their bodies and lifestyle choices..

I can say that I'm not lazy, but I struggle to motivate myself to do things because of my self-esteem issues..

I know plenty of lazy people who manage to stay slim ;)