New here with a calorie count/BMR/Breastfeeding question...

Options
Hi there...I'm new here, a first time mom, exclusively breastfeeding, and three month post-partum. I gained nearly 50 pounds with my DD, but have lost 38 of that already. For losing the last 12 though, I have a question....

After plateauing for about a month, I was reading a thread of posts on here that stressed making sure you eat *enough* while breastfeeding. I had my loss set at 1.5 pounds a week, and regardless of sticking pretty closely with it, I was going nowhere....

Now in researching, I'm realizing that MFP had put my calories lower than my BMR. I was adding 500 for breastfeeding, but even at that, I'm guessing that was probably not a smart idea to be eating that few. My milk supply has been fine, so I guess I never gave it a thought until now, other than the fact that I was always starving.

So, my biggest question is this... I adjusted my goal to 1 pound loss a week, and now it has my calories (before adding breastfeeding) at just about 30 calories above my BMR. Is this still too little? My BMR is just under 1500 calories a day + breastfeeding = 2000. With my hunger level, I'm finding it hard to stick to this few, (even though it sounds like a LOT) but I'm a little skeptical at going higher, just because it seems like SO much! Thoughts on this amount?

Replies

• daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the calories you use just to stay alive doing absolutely nothing. When I say nothing I mean as if you are in a coma. Even getting out of bed or blinking even uses calories. So in order to be successful, you need to eat back the calories that you use up exercising.

I would suggest that you calculate your TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure and shave your calories from that. 15 to 20% below your TDEE is a good range.

Here is the calculator I use because you can fine tune to your activity levels including breastfeeding calories (there's a link in the first post to the thread):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

It was a lot to understand, but well worth the effort for me. If you have questions, feel free to ask the guys in the group (IPOARM).

BTW, I joined MFP with a very low calorie start point, but was miserable. I increased my calories and still lost weight, definitely losing fat and gaining muscle along the way since the scale is not the only indicator I use to measure success. Friend me if you like :)

Edit: Oops, forgot to put the % sign. 20% fewer calories is way different than 20 fewer calories. Yikes.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was having problems losing my last 5-10 pounds while breastfeeding my second daughter and I discovered that I had to set my weight loss goals at a half pound a week or at maintenance in order to lose anything. It was SOOO hard to eat more when everything you know says to eat less to lose weight! But it seems like the lower I went, the harder my body fought to hold on to my fat. Once I started eating around 2300 calories ( that includes exercise calories, around 250-300 a day) I started seeing results. And I had to be extra careful about nutrition too. I really tried to make every bite count and stay away from junk. They say you burn around 500 calories bfing but that is just an average. My babies all nurse on demand around the clock and I have a very plentiful supply. When I was exclusively bfing I budgeted 750 calories because my daughter ate about 12 times in 24 hours at an estimated 3-6 ounces every time. The average ounce of breastmilk has 22 calories in it. If I fed her 12 times, 4 ounces each feeding, that is 1056 calories I was making in 1 day!!!! That helped me feel better about eating more. lol I'm now trying to lose my last 10 pounds after having my 3rd daughter 14 mo. ago and it's hard staying in that eating more mindset. I try to listen to my body more. If my body says i'm truly hungry, I eat no matter what my diary says. Even if it says I have no more calories left, I eat if i'm hungry.
  • 69margaux
    69margaux Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I am approaching 2 months post partum. I gained 30 lbs. The initial 17 fell right off but the last 13 is scale is stuck. I had not been counting calories so I started this week so I can get this last bit back off and then some as my goal is to be at least 10 lbs less than pre-pregnancy. Setting goal to loose 1 lb per week allows me 1200 calories and then adding back 500 for breastfeeding. Now I read your post and think I should not be dieting at all during this time, perhaps that is the issue. My body thinks it is starving so it is storing fat rather than burning, is that what you are conveying? I have a fairly good diet with dark chocolate and wine with a meal being my vice.
  • eliblish
    Options
    I would try upping your calories by 100 a week. Do you feel like you're still hungry sometimes? It's better when you're breastfeeding to create your calorie deficit by exercising rather than cutting calories. So you could set your calories at maintenance and then to create a deficit you would have to exercise but not necessarily eat those calories back since they are your deficit. So on the days where there was no exercise, there would be no deficit. With my first dd I ate what and when I wanted after I had her and lost all my baby weight (24 lbs) plus an extra 7 lbs. With my second, I lost half fairly quickly ( I gained 31 all together) and then I couldn't get the rest off. Ironically that was when I first started counting calories. I had gained more with her pregnancy in all the wrong places (haha) and I was anxious to get it off. I didn't lose the rest of it until I stopped restricting myself. With my last, I didn't diet afterwards (28 lb weight gain) and I lost most of it by 2 mo. post partum. The rest came off not too long after that. I eat pretty healthy normally which I'm sure helps and i'm pretty active because I have 3 young kids to chase around. lol I do know that a lot of people can't lose the last 10 pounds no matter what until they're done nursing. It just depends on the person I guess.
  • 69margaux
    69margaux Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok this makes sense. Yes, I would wake up hungry and eat a bowl of cereal! I did not count calories initially, I was eating whatever I wanted. I think I'll stick with that for now and just listen to my body for now! My sister is a body builder and I recall at one time early on she was stuck at a plateau and she went to a trainer who told her basically the same thing, she wasn't eating enough calories. So this is not new to me to hear I just have to apply it to my situation with breastfeeding. Cheers!
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    69margaux-Congrats on your baby girl. I had my first baby girl 7 months ago right before my 40th b-day. Whenever I see a 40+ mama on her it gives me hope that I can try for another baby :) I just wanted to say that I'm eating 2100 cal/day and just introduced solids to baby last month. My only exercise is taking walks right now and carrying my 18 lb baby all day and I'm still losing weight when I don't want to. I weigh 113 lbs and I'm 5'3 so my goal it to gain 5 lbs of muscle now. My experience with MFP is that it calculates BMR on the low end so I always need to add about 1-200 extra calories to what they recommend.
  • eliblish
    Options
    Good luck!!!! :)
  • aefallis
    aefallis Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Here is the calculator I used http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator . Multiply it by .80 (for 20% off) and then add in breastfeeding calories which is 20 times the number of ounces your little one consumes. I know that is hard since you don't really know. I guessed 30 ounces for my little one or an extra 600 calories. This has worked so well for me so far. It brought my supply back up and I'm averaging 1.5 to 2 pounds a week again.
  • Lisahorstkamp
    Lisahorstkamp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Remember it took 9 months to gain it... ;) personaly I did great until I went back to work and gained EVERYTHING BACK. My son is 15m now but I'm getting back to it and still Bfing so that sould help since i get little excercise outside of cleaning,lol. ANYWAY be sure to drink plenty of water sometimes hunger is acctualy thurst. Try cutting sugar it is the devil on my sholder, that and cokezero :-) also, artificial sweeteners can trigger a "hunger responce" in the brain so try plain water with no flavor additives.