other exercises to improve running pace?

Options
H217
H217 Posts: 24 Member
Background: I've only gotten into running in the last 1.5 years, and since then have built up to being able to run about 16 miles at a 10:00-10:30 min/mile average pace (with which I'm pretty happy, considering I was only able to run 1 mile at about a 11:30 min/mile pace just 2 years ago due to issues with my asthma).

I'm currently running about 25-30 miles per week (3 short runs and 1 longer one; the short runs include 1 min. sprints), doing pilates/yoga for 20 minutes 3 times per week, and hiking (1+ hour) once a week.

I've been able to make pretty steady progress with running distance, but I've had a lot of trouble improving pace. I would really love to be able to run faster though-- partly because I want to keep up with some of my faster running partners, but also because I have a long-term goal of running a sub-4 hour marathon within 5 years. I can run a mile in under 8 minutes, but I burn out pretty quickly after that.

Are there any other exercises I should be doing that would significantly improve my pace (biking, swimming, lifting weights, etc.), or should I just stick to what I'm doing and try to be a little more patient?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One of my tri coach's favourite words is "specificity". If you want to run faster you need to run more and incorporate speed work into your workouts.

Here are a couple of links with some ideas that may help:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/speedwork-for-every-runner/167.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--13943-0,00.html

I'm going to say that your progress has been pretty impressive but I'm not sure, given your marathon goal, that speedwork should be your priority yet. At 1.5 years in you're still building your base.

The other exercises you mentioned are great cross training activities and biking will certainly help strengthen glutes and quads.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Im with Brian! Awesome links he posted! The main runs should be covered over a 10-14 day span includes tempo runs, speed work, hills and a long run. Quality over quantity. You can include striders at the end of a long run. Don't forget to eat well, sleep lots and really have a rest day. there is no such thing as junk miles. Happy running. :)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • H217
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice! I'll make sure to check out those links too.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    ditto to what the others said.

But this is what I have found. I only run 3 days a week (as that's all I have the time at the moment). I don't own a treadmill (i prefer trails).
    When I was training for my half marathon, the program insanity (which is a plyometrics program) seriously helped my cardio and endurance, it also helped me get a faster pace.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Read this : Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

While specific speedwork will help a lot, it should only be around 10 to 15 percent of your weekly training volume. Continuing to build your aerobic capacity by running more aerobically is still the key. Sometimes run longer at your normal comfortable pace. Other times run shorter at a harder, but still aerobic pace. A couple of times a week do speed training. To start with a weekly hill session to build strength and a weekly tempo run to build stamina would be ideal.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Cycling fast helps running speed.

At the end of the day running more often will be the way to make the biggest gains.

However if for some reason you find you can not run more (for example due to shin splints or some other running pain) but have the time to cross train, then Biking is the best option.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Just curious -- what's your diet typically entail?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been really pleased with the Run Less Run Faster program.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - the best way to get faster is more miles, more miles and more miles.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - the best way to get faster is more miles, more miles and more miles.

Bingo. If it didn't work, then the fastest people in the world would be doing something else.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    just wre an aricle on cross training at http://www.sftrails.com
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    how about hills? =) lots and lots of hills?
  • H217
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the suggestions! Since writing that post, I've managed to make some pretty good improvements... My last 20 mile run went by in just under 3.5 hours! One of the biggest things I've noticed is that my pace picks up a bit after mile 5, and then a LOT more after mile 10 (up to 8:30 min/mile... fantastic by my standards). It's not very practical for me to be running 10+ mile routes more than once a week (I just don't have enough time), but I've started bringing in different workouts and more interval training.

As far as hills go... I'll run uphill for ages, but downhill is a killer for my knees.

I can't believe how much collective knowledge there is on these boards... extensive, collaborative, and well-varied personal experience really is one of the best resources.
  • rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to work weight's into my routine twice a week. This plan is great, build's all around strength and specifically hits muscle groups needed in running (and other triathlon specific muscles).

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises

I would also add running with runners slightly faster than you will help the most, or at least it has for me.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I agree with more miles. I didn't believe that so much before but since working with a coach the last 8 weeks I firmly believe it. I've seen a good deal of pace increase in myself since adding more miles. I also do striders at the end of my easy runs and according to my coach those (in addition to speed work) help w/turnover.