HAIR!!!!!

Options
felisel
felisel Posts: 17 Member
Hello ladies.... I have a question? Ever since being diagnosed with PCOS, I have lost alot of hair. Then I started researching and looking for ways to atleast stop it from falling off. I had gotten to a point where you could see my scalp. Now it does fall off but not as before, so I wanted to ask you ladies who experienced this if losing the weight did your hair came out again or is it stays like this thin and frizzy all the time. My husband has this idea about doing a hair transplant but honeslty that is out of picture due to money issues. Thanks

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Try taking Biotin. I had the same issue and it helped me.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have experience a complete decline in hair thickness. When I was younger I had very long THICK hair. Now my hair is thin and just blah :(

I have been looking into the Biotin too, definitely going to try it!!
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My hair has thined so much I went from keeping my hair long to a much shorter hair style. Keeping it shorter does help with it looks thicker and nicer. I haven't seen any changes in my hair since I have started dropping some weight and being on meformin :(

I do want to look into Biotin!

Good luck!
    Amanda
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    the only thing that stopped my hair from falling out was Metformin. I saw an improvement even on just 1000 mg a day. Just know that it takes a few months for you to see improvement doing anything because that is how long a life cycle is for hair. It took three months after I went off the pill for it to start falling out and three months of being on Metformin for me to really see an improvment in it coming back in,.
  • felisel
    Options
    Has anyone thought about using Rogain. I bought this book about PCOS and there is an drug for it but not here in the US. So the doctor recommends using rogain.
  • felisel
    Options
    Really!! I was on metphormin but I stopped bc I would notice my hair falling off in bundles.
  • felisel
    Options
    I have the same problem. My hair has thined so much I went from keeping my hair long to a much shorter hair style. Keeping it shorter does help with it looks thicker and nicer. I haven't seen any changes in my hair since I have started dropping some weight and being on meformin :(

I do want to look into Biotin!

Good luck!
    Amanda

My hair isnt that long, its just airy and everywhere. I do see alot of small hair everywhere but they just dont stay put. Im afraid to use different chemicals.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Has anyone thought about using Rogain. I bought this book about PCOS and there is an drug for it but not here in the US. So the doctor recommends using rogain.

I would be careful with Rogain, I heard once you start using it, you have to use it forever or the hair will fall out!! Not sure how accurate that is, but if it is true, definitely not something you want to do.

Look for my other post on the inositol, that is also supposed to help with hair growth. I started taking that and the biotin, gotta do whatever I can!! haha
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that you also cannot use Rogaine (or even handle it) if there is a possibility that you might get pregnant. Things like that always scare me, even when I wasn't trying.
  • PCOSgal
    Options
    My hair has thinned too and I hate it. My doc recommend taking the mineral Selenium and I tried it for a while but I didn't notice any difference. I am going to try Biotin because I heard it works well.
  • keera988
    Options
    Hey ladies,

my hair has been significantly falling out for the past few years, it wasn`t until last month that I was diagnosed with PCOS. Before that, I`ve tried minoxidil (rogaine), sulfate- free shampoos and all kinds of foreign oil treatments. Being diagnosed with PCOS has honestly pushed my will and has made my mentality stronger. My hair is thin but recently I`ve learned to accept th at doesn`t define who i am as a person. YOU ARE NOT YOUR HAIR. So don`t be discouraged if your hair is thin--- try a new short hair style, heck, get a nice wig if you have to. Just take care of the hair you have, and if it falls out , it`s ok. At the end of the day, your hair doesn`t define your beauty.
  • desilou23
    desilou23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my hair is super thin and has been falling out for years. i have not found anything that works. i have considered using a wig, but good ones are expensive.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Really!! I was on metphormin but I stopped bc I would notice my hair falling off in bundles.

Metformin made me SICK as a dog!!!!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use a DHT Shampoo and Conditioner (Nioxin brand). It doesn't regrow hair, but i've noticed my loss has decreased considerably. I also no longer use a pill contraceptive along with better diet and exercise.

Another thing you can do without buying anything is give yourself regular gentle scalp massages (direct quote from my hairdresser) which will help increase bloodflow to the hair folicles you still have.

Also keep in mind that if you are on a major weight loss journey that can effect your hair as well for awhile.
  • julial84
    julial84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    what a positive post - thank you for that. I am in the same boat my hair was thinning and I was recently diagnosed with pcos...I have recently started taking biotin you should try that too.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, I lost a ton of hair a number of years ago and I found that Nioxin shampoo and conditioner really helped.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Metformin made me SICK as a dog!!!!

Me too! I had explosive *you know what* every single day on it. I finally went off it after my TSH came back to normal. Weightloss was slightly easier but not enough to put myself through that torture. It also made my coworkers gossip, all the bathroom trips.

I started using saw palmetto and a CVS knock-off of Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo. Both of these cost very little (a few bucks for the saw palmetto and 10$ for an entire shampoo bottle lasting me more than a month). My hair was almost bald on one side (my right side above my ear). I tried to cover this with bangs. Well, now it's GROWING BACK. for the first time in a long time. I don't know which thing is working, but I suspect it is DHT blockage. I have a hard time getting my roots clean of my scalp. With this shampoo, I leave it one and scrub a little. I had some actual scabs come off, acne clear up. But now, I have MORE HAIR.

I will also look into Biotin.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My hair is thinning too. When I put product in it in the morning my hands are covered with hairs that I have shed during the process.

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner does help. It's not prescription. I've also heard that Biotin helps and so does pre-natal vitamins.

I was just diagnosed with PCOS a couple weeks ago. The Dr. put me on metformin and spironolactone which is a blood pressure med that is often used to treat acne and hair loss. My skin is clearing up nicely. I'm hoping my shedding goes down too.
  • BlondeNklutzi
    BlondeNklutzi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I noticed my hair thinning too. What has helped me has been the metformin and staying on prenatal vitamins. The vitamins were kind of an accidental discovery, I'm only on them since we are TTC, but they have helped a lot.

Now if only the extra hair everywhere else would fall out!
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I've had acne forever, but hair loss has been really difficult for me. I've always had thin hair, so now that I'm losing a lot of it it's really noticeable...you can see a lot of my scalp.

I was just diagnosed recently, and I'm still doing lots of testing to find out the state my body is currently in, and my husband actually teared up in public the other day because my hair loss is becoming really noticeable, and it scares him- not because it's not attractive, but because he's scared of really bad health problems underneath.

In addition to hair loss, I also have seborrheic dermatitis. If you have problems with dandruff and an oily scalp, it can make hair loss worse because it literally chokes the hair follicles. I started using clinical strength head and shoulders shampoo (it says it's for seborrheic dermatitis) and I've noticed that I'm losing less hair, but because the root of the problem (excess androgens) has not been solved, I'm still losing and I'm not growing any back yet.

I do take a hair, skin, and nails vitamin every day....it has lots of biotin in it. I'm still having problems, but they are definitely worse when I don't take the vitamin.