Crossfit - Do I quit or tough it out?

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi fellow CF people.
After completing my 8 week intro course I fell in love with CF. Due to finances I only rebooked for 3 months which is now up.
I need to make a decision whether to keep going or quit?
I CF 2 x week and lift weights on the other 3-4.
I Love CF but due to running my knee is stuffed and also my doc has told me I should not squat (woman's issues).
My heart drops whenever I walk in and see the WOD includes a run/sprint as I know it isn't doing my knee any good and I also lift very light on days we have to deadlift/thrust etc - this makes me feel like such a lightweight as I know I can lift way heavier than what I do.
My dilemma is this .. I LOVE CF, I love what it has done for my body and the way it pushes me in a way I cannot push myself in the gym .. but I feel like I can't do many of the WOD's and I hate thinking I have to modify every WOD.
Should I give to away and chalk it up to an awesome experience or suck it up and risk hurting myself more
I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. Thanks.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is it worth potentially permanently damaging your body?

if it is then tough it out. only you can answer that questions.

for me it's a no brainer. i'd be like see ya crossfit, but that's just because i want to be able to move around and do stuff when i'm old and gray
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above poster. dont do something that will hurt you in the long run. i LOVE crossfit too but not more than my health. you could always look @ the WOD and try to do it at home or at your gym?
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    bump?
  • jlcuster
    Options
    I love CrossFit and I think it's worth sticking with. However, “The point of CF is to get better at life. Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.” Garddawg - 22 March 2009.

I would recommend you constantly scale/modify the WODs. A good coach should be able to help you effectively with this. If your coach in your particular box can't or won't, I'd find another box. A friend of mine has had arm issues for 4 months now. He's scaled the workouts and is now getting to the point when he can start the normal WOD. Maybe you'll be in the same position 4 months from now.

I hope this helps.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I love CrossFit and I think it's worth sticking with. However, “The point of CF is to get better at life. Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.” Garddawg - 22 March 2009.

I would recommend you constantly scale/modify the WODs. A good coach should be able to help you effectively with this. If your coach in your particular box can't or won't, I'd find another box. A friend of mine has had arm issues for 4 months now. He's scaled the workouts and is now getting to the point when he can start the normal WOD. Maybe you'll be in the same position 4 months from now.

I hope this helps.

This is the pefect answer !!! (*Good Luck*)
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think you're not looking at it the right way. You're saying you can't do all the WOD's. You can do any of the WOD's with a good box and a good coach that supports you in modifying/scaling them. I think the hitch is more in how you're viewing it, not CF itself. If you love it like you say you do, stick with it for 3 more months then reevaluate. Do the things that you can and then modify/scale when you can't. No one is measuring you against the WOD except for yourself. Good luck!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Scale the WODs, of course -- though not being able to run will make many days difficult.
    You were not clear in your post: Are your knee issues and squatting issue permanent? Or are they the kind of things that, if you take it easy on them, and work to rehab them, will get better?
    I ask because some people have physical limitations they think are permanent, but, once they work on them, they find those limitations improve.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I think you're not looking at it the right way. You're saying you can't do all the WOD's. You can do any of the WOD's with a good box and a good coach that supports you in modifying/scaling them. I think the hitch is more in how you're viewing it, not CF itself. If you love it like you say you do, stick with it for 3 more months then reevaluate. Do the things that you can and then modify/scale when you can't. No one is measuring you against the WOD except for yourself. Good luck!

I agree. Have you talked to the trainers about your injuries and see if they can modify things for you?
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with modifying a WOD. There are people @ my box that cannot run, they row instead. If it is a good box with good trainers, they should be thinking thinking of how you can modify each time you step into that box. I love CrossFit and there are times that I cannot do the WOD at all. It was Thrusters and Burpees and my wrist was giving me huge problems so he had me do deadlifts and box jumps instead. If you love CF, continue to go, just be open with your limitations.
  • aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can you row instead of run? That's what I did when I was out of action running-wise for a few weeks due to an injury. Even with modifications, cross fit is wonderful. I agree with what another poster said above about rehab. Maybe go see a sports physical therapist or someone similar. I've been going to an airrosti practice here for my knee issues and with a lot of it band stretches and massage and doing all the exercises she tells me to do, it's been getting better. However, no matter how awesome cross fit is, doing serious damage to your body isn't worth it. Definitely take that into consideration when making your decision.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I Love CF but due to running my knee is stuffed and also my doc has told me I should not squat.

Did he tell you not to stand up out of your chair at the dinner table? That is a squat. I say this not to be a smart *kitten* or to be dismissive of medical advice. We all squat in some form whether it is catching a heavy clean or getting in and out of a common chair. I would want my doctor to be more specific about how and why squatting is bad for you. Also, there is a huge self perpetuating myth that squatting, especially below parallel is bad for the knees. No one really knows where this myth originated but it just won't go away and there is no solid evidence to back it up. Even those in the medical community keep spreading this around. A second opinion is always a good idea. If it is true that you cannot squat, there are other ways to strength and activate the hips, hamstrings, glutes, etc.

As a CrossFit coach, we deal with people with injuries every day. In fact, it is rare to find an athlete that does not have mobility issues. We get a ton of endurance athletes in our gym that are broken from overuse injuries from their sport and over time, most (but not all) of them heal to some degree or completely. We find scaling options for all of them and over time, the athletes get to know their bodies well enough to properly scale themselves. For those that don't have mobility issues, the WODs are usually tough enough as written that most will have to scale something. Everyone wants to do WODs at "Rx" and many feel frustrated when they can't do the WOD as written. I have seen so many athletes ruin their experience by obsessing about doing exactly what was written on the board. But that is totally normal. CrossFit attracts driven type A people that take their duties and interests very seriously and they place a lot of their self worth on their ability to do those tasks well.

If you love CrossFit, stay with it. We are not trying to break you. Listen to your body. CrossFit should put you in a place of discomfort and unpleasantness but not outright pain. It is not worth permanent or lasting injury and pain but if you are doing it right (and that does not mean doing what is written on the board), you should get stronger and healthier.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    this makes me feel like such a lightweight as I know I can lift way heavier than what I do.
    My dilemma is this .. I LOVE CF, I love what it has done for my body and the way it pushes me in a way I cannot push myself in the gym .. but I feel like I can't do many of the WOD's and I hate thinking I have to modify every WOD.
    Should I give to away and chalk it up to an awesome experience or suck it up and risk hurting myself more
    I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. Thanks.

This part resonated with me, because I've injured my shoulder... more of a previous issue, not a crossfit issue... and a little old age thrown in. I felt the same way, I still feel the same way when I walk into snatches/OHS/pull ups. I say why should I even be here. I also feel like somewhat of a fraud. What self respecting crossfitter can't pull up?
    BUT, if your box is a good one, they will work with you and your limitations! They will MOD the WOD for you, and also help you strengthen your weaknesses.
    I say speak to them, I'm sure they will appreciate your input too, after all it's people like you who help pay their bills.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is this, if you honestly see health and fitness as a non-negotiable part of your everyday life then you have the rest of your life to do CF or anything else... if you really need a break, its not going anywhere. I have had times where I have put my 100% focus into CF and then put it on the back burner while I concentrate 100% on power-lifing. One of my great friends put both lifting and CF on the back-burner to try her hand at triathalon for 6 months (didn't really stick lol).

So your question was:
    "Should I give to away and chalk it up to an awesome experience or suck it up and risk hurting myself more"
    My answer is does it have to be either? Can't you take a planned recovery break from CF and concentrate on strength and rehab with a real plan to come back? Many really good CFers have an offseason where they do just that.
  • 300poundsdown
    Options
    Just b/c you can't RX a WOD does not mean you can't do Crossfit. I will probably never RX most of the WODS. I have arthritis in my left knee and a small meniscus tear I was told by the orthopedic surgeon is not worth doing surgery over. I get on the rowing machine a lot of times instead of doing the running. My coach is all about modifying and scaling things. I think that is the best thing about Crossfit. It really is for all levels. You are competing against yourself and doing YOUR best. Not the best of whoever is next to you. We all come to the table with different issues. If you love CF and want to keep going then just scale and modify. That's what I do! But at the end of the day, do what makes you feel happy and what you will consistently stick with over the long haul. Good luck!
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Just brought a 12 month membership - yeah baby!
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I hope this helps.