Scales in UK

Options
sussexbythesea
sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
We have two pretty old sets of scales. We think we need to get some new ones as mine weigh us less than OH's! His are the type you get in the doctors with the gradations on the dial and it is VERY hard to read for me anyway. Mine are digital and I prefer them as you get an actual read off. I keep seeing ones that say they can tell your fat content- but how can that we so without a Body scan?

Can anyone recommed some good ones easily available in UK that will have a digital read out?
TIA

Replies

• Mills2BClarke
    Options
    I have the salter ones from Asda .... They are currently £15 . I used to weigh with Slimming World and they were usually spot on 2 what I weighed in class.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We have some salter ones from Argos. We thought the bf % was a good idea but it fluctuates wildly depending on you water % so I ignore that now
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi, I asked the same question on the main message board, most people suggested the Salter ones, a couple of people said the Weight Watchers ones are good too! Think I will be getting Salter, there are some really nice looking ones. Good prices on Argos and Amazon, and I think Tesco and ASDA sell them too.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Another one for Salter here. Got mine from ASDA for £20?. The body fat % i think uses the input height and weight data as it only really reflects the amount you lost. I've been gaining muscle so its becoming innacurate.

The actual weight measurements seem to be dead on though. I've checked their validity to the good old balance scales at the gym and they have the same reading to within 1lb (i've done this 5 times and weighed in on both within an hour to test it).
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i use salter ones too :D
    above person is right it uses the height input and weight data !

I;'d heard of the salter brand so made the choice to go for them... they were also an expensive set reduced lots made them all the more attractive. They seem to be pretty accurate against others :)
    x
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Salter again. Both for weighing me and my food. :happy:

I don't bother with body fat scanner as it varies wildly like someone else said. Calipers are more accurate if a bit of a faff.
  • sarouk
    sarouk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I replaced some ancient scales with a digital set (Omron KaradaScan) which are a bit easier to see and which are pretty accurate (though it was disappointing to find that I was actually a kilogram heavier on theseI).
    These are multifunctional and will also give you BMI (provided you tell it how tall you are) and they have a way of estimating body fat by testing your conductivity. As I also have the old fashioned fat caliper things as well I can say that the Omron is consistent in measuring body fat % but gives a result that is 1-2% less than the calipers. It also estimates how much of your bodyfat is visceral rather than subcutaneous but I have no idea why you might want this information. Anyway I've had them for three months and am pretty happy. I reckon I probably got them through Amazon.
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Weight Watchers ones (a pressie), They are supposed to work out BMI, and body fat and all kinds of stuff. In reality all I ever do is weight myself on them. I think OH uses the BMI calculator, but I don't want to do that until I lose a bit more weight - its too depressing!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    MIne - Weight Watchers - just weigh me. Not so much to go wrong [but then my "Nokia Brick" just makes phone calls - so what do I know?]
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I swear by my weight watchers ones and love ho they measure in 1/4 lbs too
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    We have some salter ones from Argos. We thought the bf % was a good idea but it fluctuates wildly depending on you water % so I ignore that now

Thats because water content is considered differently on different scales, some consider it part of fat mass some lean mass.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love my Withings ones, they are an investment but they do everything and are pretty consistently accurate.

http://www.withings.com/en/bodyscale
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone i am going to stick with Salter as my old ones are these!
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    with your digital scales make sure the load cells on the underside are on flat lever ground; carpets/vinyl flooring are pretty pants for repeatability.

i find that if i stand with my centre of gravilty primarily on the rear loadcells i weigh about 3KGS (yes 7 lbs less!!)

i now only use the calibrated pallet scales in work...

knowing what i know about weighing equipment i would say you definetly get what you pay for. if the advised products have excellent figures for repeatability go with them but do not confuse its smallest counting unit (the resolution) with its accuracy.

saying that nothing will be as good as a calibrated instrument... EEEEKKKK i am turely a geek