Just Curious

Options
See I have made a couple of friends here on these forums and they are couples that play WoW together for isntance, so I am wondering.. I want to preface this with I AM NOT Desperate just wondering....

I know I will get the usual "get out of the house" replies here but I already do that. Its just hard to find a single woman these days that enjoys playing video games like WoW.

So has anyone here met their better half ONLINE actually playing the game and became a couple?

Have any of you EVER met someone from playing an Online game and actually ended up dating them??

Just Curious??

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband met through gaming, but the table top kind ;) So the only gamers I met in WoW and then later in RL was on a Friends basis.

I do however know a few couples that started dating through meeting in online games, some have not lasted but some have - probably around the same % as offline couples, or that has been my impression. Some of them hooked up because of joined passion for the game, but while it is a starter the ones I know have lasted started because of more chatting than just about the game.. but isnt that the same with offline couples anyway ;)

So yes, there is that chance of meeting a match online. But unless you are specifically on a forum made for matchmaking or joining a guild or event that is for that then it is a very large world online so will be allot up to chance and its also easier to come off as a creep or being misunderstood as just joking when hitting on someone online than when in person - something to do with the missing bodylanguage hehe :P
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It does happen. I know a couple who met in WoW about five years ago, met irl after a few months, and though one of them stopped playing (at least WoW) and they're still going strong in real life.
    I guess my own marriage doesn't count, since we met in the real world, but we did connect over mutual geeking out... :-P
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my husband met his last girlfriend playing everquest. they were together for 6 years, he even proposed. it didnt last of course, but it was a significant relationship...

when he and i met, i didnt know anything about wow, but got into it because of him. we would spend a lot of time playing together, i can honestly say it factored into us falling in love.
  • xjeanie
    Options
    A really close friend of mine met her now-husband playing games online when we were in highschool. They've been together for over 10 years now and have a 3 year old.

I met my current boyfriend, love of my life, over WoW. It's quite possibly the weirdest way I've ever met someone of significance in my life....but hey, we share a lot of common interests, right? It works!
  • tisonc
    tisonc Posts: 58
    Options
    Wow see I knew it was possible!! LOL now if I could only find the same.. LOL
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that did. But it seems like sometimes the wow can just cause friction like anything else in a couple's life. My husband and I have had a few fights lately over how many hours he's been putting in (and refusing to exercise because of it). I also have known a few couples where um ... *ahem* the lady friend is not very good and the guy insists on bringing her to raids and it causes bro-friction.
  • YellowSaturn
    Options
    My bf and I met, what ... 8+ years ago? Seems like I've known him all of my adult life. We met playing Lineage (1, not 2), and he lived in NY and I in IL. First he moved out to IL for a couple years, but now we live in NY. Since we moved in with each other all those years ago, we've played countless games together. There's rarely any titles that one of us plays that the other doesn't ... whether it's video games, tabletops, board games, whatever.

The internet was a much different place though, over 8 years ago. A lot of the personal experiences I've had online in the past few years have really made me glad I'm not single. I seem to have bad luck with attracting more than my fair share of creeps, way beyond the level of "playful flirting", and I'm a lot more tolerant of that sort of thing than some.

We've met plenty of other couples, though. I think it's a bit of luck.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I met my last boyfriend through EvE Online originally. We were together for about 3 1/2 years and played other games together too, including WoW (which I introduced him to). Neither of us had been looking for a relationship at the time but it just sort of happened.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I know someone who met his girlfriend in a game. His wife wasn't too happy about it though. :huh:

With that said, of course it's possible! I don't see how it would be different from meeting someone online any other way. :happy: