I Feel Like a Real Gamer Again!

Options
So it's been a while that I have taken my focus less from video games and more to music. I haven't played on xbox live in about a year (I really need to renew it), I haven't shot up noobs in Halo in a few years and the only thing I have been doing is achievement whoring in Skyrim.

But today, today I got an Anonymous comment on one of my old blogs that makes me feel like I am once again apart of the female gaming community:

"if your gonna b---- about it you should stop playing video games and get back in the kitchen."

It was in regards to this old blog where I complained about how MK vs DC universe turned Sonya into a tit monster. Clearly the guy came for the boobs and stayed for the troll comment, he had so much balls that he posted an anonymous. I found the whole thing very amusing, but really felt like I was back in that old gaming community once again.

http://anex-unnecessaryblogage.blogspot.fr/2010/02/mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-tits-and.html post from 2010

So many clichés regarding gender roles, and video game players (for girls you are surely fat and without a boyfriend for instance)

So ladies? How many times have you heard "get back in the kitchen?" (if you can remember)

Guys, have you ever heard something cliché from females while playing? (Something cliché about males or gaming)

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I get the Cliché comments about being an older gamer! In a gaming lobby I can be talking to friends about my kids or wife or job etc and some 12 year old will be like 'hey grandad you shouldnt be playing COD, you're too old!'

I'm 28....

And by the way little kids, i've been playing COD since COD3 and I can school your *kitten* from here to china town. K/D is usually between 1.8 and 2 on all FPS games i play on all game modes.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    No one should be playing COD...COD died after COD4!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When I played Battlefied 2, I'd get all kinds of comments. Or would just hear guys insult each other with gay or female slurs...until they knew i was female (and gay). Would also get some age comments (I was in my mid-30's at the time). It was funny the mix of flirting and "protection" I'd get from some guys. They'd go after the ones insulting women.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

COD killed halo.. COD killed COD ... !!! Xbox is dead to me atm till something good comes out i do like to kill zombies in COD when family comes over tho.. thats it.. got rid of xbox live.. .. one day games will be good again.. like when i was a kid : /.... lol :)
  • sky3z
    sky3z Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Currently playing Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition & Fallout New Vegas on PC, they're good!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That's been going on for a long time ... Happened to me a lot back in the days of Halo 2. Guys like to talk trash until you beat them at something and they find out you're a girl, then you're their best friend ... LOL

Brandi is right though once some of them find out you are a girl they will defend other girls, it's pretty entertaining.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Halo 2 is how I met some of my clan mates :) (PMS Clan). Sometimes you get those girls who trash the other girls in the room because they are attention *kitten*, those girls suck.

But yeah, it was funny to get told the same old thing again.. it had been a while xD
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Currently playing Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition & Fallout New Vegas on PC, they're good!

What is prepare to die edition?? Because it truly is not needed, I did enough dying in that game as it is.

And sorry galletakeks, but they will never get there :/
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options

True words.

I still play cod4 tho :)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

What is prepare to die edition?? Because it truly is not needed, I did enough dying in that game as it is.

And sorry galletakeks, but they will never get there :/

:( sad day indeed,
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Think I've been lucky in my online gaming overall. I see websites like notinthekitchenanymore or fatuglyorslutty and realise that I've not had anything near as bad as some of that! I've had one guy stalk me through several vent channels simply because I was female, and others that just wanted to hear me sigh :huh: , but I just laugh it off.

The only nastiness I've encountered has been from other females really. I think they were only playing because their husbands / boyfriends were playing, and as I was a single female playing because I wanted to myself, they seemed to decide that I was a *kitten* that was only on there to steal said husbands / boyfriends. It made things very awkward as they were part of the same clan, and some of the guys that I'd previously been fine with and had a laugh with suddenly stopped talking to me. I guess they figured it was easier to freeze me out online than to get an ear-bashing IRL :laugh:
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've never really had these comments about getting back to the kitchen or any other nastiness, either. I don't really make a point of telling everyone I'm a woman, anyway, so the only reason people would know would be through voicechats, or if it for some reason comes up in a conversation. I guess the only people I've used vent or other voicechats have been guildies or generally people I've either known or played with for a while, which makes it a bit less likely they'd start any abuse. There's been the odd young teenage boy who's been a bit tiresome, but never really in a nasty way.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I don't usually let on that I'm female, so I have never heard that. They only find out if I talk in voicechat, which I don't do often.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The only comments I hear are the ones we are screaming over BLOPS 2 matches! (high fives another dude).
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    I get the Cliché comments about being an older gamer! In a gaming lobby I can be talking to friends about my kids or wife or job etc and some 12 year old will be like 'hey grandad you shouldnt be playing COD, you're too old!'

I'm 28....

Ahhhhhh believe me, I can sooooooo relate to this... I'm 43 ;)