Vegan Xmas

Options
Hello all :D

What do you have for your xmas lunch?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This will be my first Christmas as a vegan. For Thanksgiving, I went to my parents, who are omnivores, and it was awful. She did not really know what to make for me(my fault, I should have planned better and helped). So I ended up eating raw veggies she had cut up, and some fruit.

I will be doing Christmas at home, and I am really excited about it. I am a member of a plant based Facebook group, and everyone there has been posting their Vegan foods that they tried for Thanksgiving and loved, so I have gotten some good ideas from there. I will be making the Engine 2 'meat' loaf, because I made it for the first time last week and LOVED it. I also plan on making a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie that I got recipes for from the Facebook group. And then probably just my usual holiday staples, like mashed potatoes and corn, etc. Oh, and I got a pumpkin yeast roll recipe that sounds divine!
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    a suggestion is if attending someone else's dinner, bring a vegan side than can be eaten as a main, if needed. one of the worst ways to promote any veg* lifestyles is to be the person munching on raw vegetables in front of a big tasty dinner :|
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ... on that note, I would also love to hear any good vegan christmas recipes, as I need to prepare something for a potluck on Saturday!
  • kristenherrera
    kristenherrera Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't started planning yet but I've been using a couple of very helpful blogs for recipes and meal ideas, Oh She Glows has a lot to pick from and even has her recipes sorted by holiday :) I made her lentil loaf as my main course for Thanksgiving and it came out really well and enough to feed an army....
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i always make a tofurky roast and a vegan dessert :)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    On Xmas, breakfast is always coffee, lunch is always cookies and candy, and dinner is always wine and salad.

I love Xmas.
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    It took me several years of feeling like an outcast before realizing my family just didn't know what to make me. So, as of last year, I make a trip to Trader Joe's and get myself some tofu (that my dad marinates) & general veggies. I'm wheat free as well, so can't do tofurky. My cooking skills lack, so I keep it basic. But, just being able to enjoy anything amongst my meat eating family is really cool.
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    On Xmas, breakfast is always coffee, lunch is always cookies and candy, and dinner is always wine and salad.

I love Xmas.

Ha! I may change my dinner to wine & salad this year, as well.
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well after a few years of EPIC fails on my in-laws side, where we often are stuck eating sides. By that I mean turnips and carrots because everything else has butter or milk... I am making a vegan mousakka.

I am quite excited to be honest.

At my family's , it's always amazing, my parents really support our way of life and really make the effort to make us welcome.

So this year, should be yumms!
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually bring something like a field grain co celebration roast, and if we are at my parents they are pretty accommodating about leaving veggies for me without butter on them. I just need to figure out something for dessert that will make the usual treats not as tempting! This is the first holiday season I will be vegan, I have been vegetarian for several years, it seems the desserts are the hardest for me
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well after a few years of EPIC fails on my in-laws side, where we often are stuck eating sides. By that I mean turnips and carrots because everything else has butter or milk... I am making a vegan mousakka.

I am quite excited to be honest.

At my family's , it's always amazing, my parents really support our way of life and really make the effort to make us welcome.

So this year, should be yumms!

Oh me oh my o. .I would Sooo love a Vegan Mousakka Recipe! !!..Care to Share?
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My family are great at ensuring that there is plenty of great food for everyone. Lst year my sister made smashed cauliflower using soy milk and dairy free margarine that was to die for. Loads of garlic and she veganised a recipe she got from the Internet. My roast potatoes ensured a definite conversion to nutritional yeast if not the vegan lifestyle. Par boil your potatoes brush them with olive oil and coat them in a mixture of vegan stock powder and nutritional yeast then bake. I also made a vegan Christmas pudding took soy ice cream and made a custard with coconut milk. As the idea of going hungry is far from my dream christmas I also made a roast using the recipe for chickpea cutlets from veganomican by isa moskowitz and terry romero. Also from the Internet I made a stuffed baked tofu that was amazing. Vegan gravy some steamed veggies and I was a very happy lady indeed.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i usually do ALL my cooking for holiday meals. this thanksgiving i brought a lentil loaf, my own mashed potatoes, savory mushroom gravy, and sweet potatoes. there was still stuff there i could eat, but i would've only had some fruit, wine, and a green bean salad.