HOW TO ENJOY GOING TO PARTIES WITHOUT BLOWING EATING GOALS?

Options
I LIVE IN A SMALL VILLAGE ON THE MAINE COAST AND THERE ARE MANY OPEN HOUSES, PARTIES, RECEPTIONS ETC, ETC. I WOULD JUST RATHER NOT GO BECAUSE THEY ARE SUCH FOOD EVENTS. BUT I DON'T WANT TO MISS ALL THE GATHERINGS. ANY SUGGESTIONS, HELP? DOROTEXAS

Replies

• chris3368
    chris3368 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well this may seem like a dumb idea but it always has helped me at events . I normally will drink about 16 oz lemon water prior to going to the event and then I will either grab a small dish of veggies or fruit ( normally all parties have little appetizers like that ) and hold it in my hands and walk around with it so when the bad (good) stuff comes around like cookies etc. I already have something in my hand. Or the second thing I tend to do is grab a diet coke .. it tends to put the cravings to rest and I still feel like I am part of the party .. hope that helps :)
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Always offer to bring a dish of your own, especially if it is a potluck-style gathering. That way, you can control at least part of the menu and will have a go-to if the rest of the fare doesn't fit your lifestyle. Plus, people will think you are SUPER GENEROUS and POLITE...even if you are secretly doing it for yourself :)
  • BBRenae43
    Options
    One thing that helps me sometimes is to decide what I am going to eat and then get only that. When I am done I chew sugar free gum. That way I am not tempted to pop something in my mouth on impulse. I don't drink so that doesn't interfere with my judgement. When I find it just too tempting I bow out. Say my goodbyes and head off for a workout.