snacking on junk food...

Options
Ok, so junk food has always been a vice, from ice cream to chocolate to chips...but it was usually in moderation, a little treat here or there, which as long as you eat healthy I don't see a problem with...BUT I am at the end of my pregnancy (37 weeks 5 days) and all of the sudden I cannot help but crave food (and junk) constantly.

I read about all these people who at the end eat less because the baby is taking up so much room and there's just no room for there stomach anymore, well I have the opposite thing going on. I have been really really good all pregnancy at eating healthy and keeping active and have been right on track with weight gain until this past week where I put on 4 lbs! In one week! If this continues I will be adding another 8 -10lbs before my due date which is only just over 2 weeks away! That is a very scary thought....

Any advice on curbing the cravings when pregnant? This is my second pregnancy but I didn't curb anything the first time around and ended up gaining a ton, so I have no real handle on what to do...I eat tons of healthy food too but am just ALWAYS hungry this past week...

Replies

• MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ok, so junk food has always been a vice, from ice cream to chocolate to chips...but it was usually in moderation, a little treat here or there, which as long as you eat healthy I don't see a problem with...BUT I am at the end of my pregnancy (37 weeks 5 days) and all of the sudden I cannot help but crave food (and junk) constantly.

I read about all these people who at the end eat less because the baby is taking up so much room and there's just no room for there stomach anymore, well I have the opposite thing going on. I have been really really good all pregnancy at eating healthy and keeping active and have been right on track with weight gain until this past week where I put on 4 lbs! In one week! If this continues I will be adding another 8 -10lbs before my due date which is only just over 2 weeks away! That is a very scary thought....

Any advice on curbing the cravings when pregnant? This is my second pregnancy but I didn't curb anything the first time around and ended up gaining a ton, so I have no real handle on what to do...I eat tons of healthy food too but am just ALWAYS hungry this past week...

You could always just give in and let the next couple weeks be your time to enjoy food till you have to get back to it! But I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to :) I'm trying to keep my weight down over the next few weeks! I think a major thing for me is making sure to eat before I leave the house so I don't want anything when I'm out..also not keeping any junk in my house really seems to help too
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am 37 weeks and 3 days and I just finished eating pumpkin cookies and vanilla ice cream (it was breyers carb smart vanila). I know how you feel and I am just embracing it I went early with my last one so I will probably go early with this one too. I have only gained 7lbs so hopefully I will be ok.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this is, but I will just share with you that at 36 (almost 37) weeks, I've kind of just given in to the cravings. I am giving myself permission to eat kind of junky food at a volume I never would have pre-pregnancy. That said, I am also trying to strike a balance. I just about always have ice cream every day (my weakness), but I also just about always have 5 servings of veggies too. It's my compromise with myself. :-)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You could remind yourself that sugar causes baby to grow faster and fatter, so if you don't want to push out a chubby baby, lay off the sweets.

Or just eat them, you are so close to the end. There is so little comfort at the end of pregnancy and ice cream might help. Make yourself happy :)
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is craving the junk food at the end! I guess indulging a bit this close to the end would be ok as long as I try to balance it out....
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I've always been a coffee drinker, but was fine with black or a little dash of cream. Now I am obsessed with the idea of those milky sweet fancy coffee shop drinks!

Triple bad because its junk, over priced and is caffeinated! (Although an single espresso shot in milk is better than drip coffee caffeine wise)