Passion and purpose

Options
So.. my..boyfriend!.. mentioned last night that it was clear I was someone desperate for purpose (we were talking about careers and life goals). I have pulled it out of context so it doesn't sound nice..but he isn't wrong. I am not fulfilled in my career and I don't seem to have more than a vague idea of what would be fulfilling at this time. It has been a very tough year also.. he isn't getting me at my best!
Unfortunately I'm not the kind of person who is happy enough to just do a job and enjoy life afterwards. I yearn to be inspired, enthusiastic, passionate and live with purpose.

So.. what drives you? What is your passion, purpose? What gives your life meaning and context? Anyone else struggle with that?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Right now it's my fitness and health. I'm not perfect diet wise and I take unplanned days off occasionally from working out. It's my main focus at the moment. After a good workout I feel happier with myself and I end up having just a good day overall.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I have never been one to want my career to be the most fulfilling part of my life. To me life was the stuff after work that I wanted to be the good part. I was the same way with school .. i was there for the boys and for my friends and for cheerleading .. I could not have cared less about my grades or learning or trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Now as I am getting older I can see where that may not have been the best plan. I wish I would have taken college more seriously. I always just wanted to be married and have a family.

So now I am stuck with no real career and no family. I am not sure what the answer is to this either. I think a lot of people struggle with the same thing.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My career interest me but its not what fufils me. My kids and my friends are what fufil me. Life outside of work is whats important to me
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Does beer and Powerball count?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I hate my job, but have been in the industry since I graduated college 13 years ago. I am trying to get to the point where I can take a pay cut and have a job I actually enjoy. I have a very active life outside of it that keeps me happy and fulfilled right now but would like to have a job that does that as well. I some times still fell like a freshman in college that doesn't know what they want to do with their life.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    So.. what drives you? What is your passion, purpose? What gives your life meaning and context? Anyone else struggle with that?

I totally struggle with this. I didn't take the traditional route in obtaining my college eduction and it took me nine years of working full time and going to school to get it. So, now I have a job I like and is fairly easy but I don't feel like I'm doing "enough" with my life just working and raising my kids. I know that it should be enough, but in my mind its not. So, I've just decided to make the kids and myself my focus, my passion. I definitely don't live to work....I work to live. It's the living part I struggle with so you aren't the only one!! :flowerforyou:
  • shamrck44
    Options
    I am not happy unless I have goals that I am working toward. Career, personal, fixing the house, whatever. Last year was all about buying a house, this year I plan to focus on my job and get more training. Fitness is also on my list again. I really want to do a warrior dash this year.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I don't suggest that purpose can be found only through a career. But I don't have kids..and apparently nothing that really drives me outside a career either!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Animals drive me. Animals and fitness are my passionate pursuits. I work to pay the bills until I get into the program so that I can have an amazing career working with animals. In the meantime I busy myself with my cats, puppy, volunteering (weekends I work at an animal rescue), running, lifting and yoga.

I'm pretty happy overall, but I know it'll be even better when I don't have a receptionist job and get to WORK with animals!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Success and the idea that I'm going to carry myself and make a difference one day is what drives me. When I go past something that I set my mind to, whether it be lifting heavier or running an extra mile, or acing an exam. Just pushing further and succeeding.
    As far as carrying myself... My dad did it. My mother never had to work a day in her life... I don't want that. I want to be able to say, "I did this. I built this life."
    And making a difference... Whether it's donating blood or PBJ outreach or volunteering at The Friendship circle, I love the feeling of making a difference in someone else's life. Even if they don't know that I did.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Watch this short clip...sit down and decide what you would do...do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siu6JYqOZ0g
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Not all jobs give us a sense of fulfillment and purpose. However how active are you in your community or your church. Church may not be for everyone, but what about your community?

I am and have been an active duty Marine for nearly 21 years (yes I get a great sense of fulfillment from this) but this my current and last duty station is the first time I have gotten to be a part of the community I live in. I am on the board for various non profits and am currently seeking an appointment to the state education delegation and a review board for foster care reveiw. These things fill me with purpose and make me feel as though I am making a difference.

Just look around you and see what things seem to not work right and get involved.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Constantly. . .
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Watch this short clip...sit down and decide what you would do...do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siu6JYqOZ0g

I'd pick the same exact that I'm going to school for... I remember being 6 or 7 and telling everyone on career day what I wanted to be. It hasn't changed since then, either. :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I, too, have to have purpose in my life, so I totally understand being "desperate" for passion/purpose.

My passion really is to make it to Heaven and have fun helping as many people as I can along the way.

Everything else I do contributes to that goal. Career contributes by providing income, health and fitness make me more useful (both from looks and the physical strength/stamina). When I find myself engaged in something that contributes neither to my entrance into Heaven nor my helping other people achieve their best, I try to cut it out of my life.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    This is going to sound cliche... but until I had my daughter, I was just lost. I had gone to school, got an Associates degree and had been working in the field that I Thought I had wanted to be in. I loved my job, but was so messed up with my ex (my daughter's father) that I had given up...turned to drugs and alcohol. Ran up debt and just didn't care.

When I got pregnant, something inside my head swiched on. I left, got out and found a way to stand back up on my own two feet. What drives me today isn't so much my work (I love the people, but drawing pipes in dirt is vastly different from designing multimillion dollar homes...lol. But it's a secure job, therefore I love it.), and isn't solely my daughter. It's more the act of being a good example and believing in myself. Proving to myself that I can do what needs to be done, and have fun while getting there.

Somewhere along the way I stopped searching for happiness, or rather, that 'thing' I thought was going to make me happy... I looked around and found happiness in my day. Began living for now, and learned how to set goals (something I was never very good at prior to my 30's).
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    This sense of finding fulfillment is something I struggle with constantly. For a while I had a feeling that once I lose the weight I want that my life wouldl be so much better. In a sense that is true but in a greater sense the weight has just been an excuse and realizing that losing more weight won't help with what I ultimately want has me feeling kind of lost. It's also contributed to a plateau/weight gain. On a day-to-day basis, my job isn't rewarding. It has days and weeks where I feel like I make a significant contribution to the public policies of the state but for the most part it is mundane and just arguing the same points over and over and over. I really have no clue what I'd like to achieve or what would make me feel happier. I know that when I've spent time around kids I have a sense of happiness. Some of it is watching kids experience something for the first time. A lot of it is just feeling a sense of giving something back and not feeling so selfish and hedonistic. I've thought about volunteering but am not sure what causes I could help with.

This may sound odd but I also spend a lot of time being thankful that I feel a lack of fulfillment. As much as I would like to find a purpose to my life, it is a great luxury to be in good enough physical and financial health that I have the luxury to seek out a greater purpose to my life.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I have no idea...is that bad? I just live my life day in day out, punch the clock, come home, work out, sleep. Repeat the next day.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I have no idea...is that bad? I just live my life day in day out, punch the clock, come home, work out, sleep. Repeat the next day.

No hun your a little younger than most of us. You have plenty of time to find your passion and purpose.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm truly blessed because I love what I do for a living and make an insane amount of money doing it. I'm lucky to be challenged and also to have the autonomy I so desperately need to be happy. I spent many years in so many jobs that drained my spirit so I know the value of what I have now. I was lucky because I always loved the field of work I was in, I just hated the places where I worked. It's much harder if you don't actually like or enjoy what you're doing.

I also find a lot of purpose in my personal life but no matter how great my personal life may be, I wasn't as happy until I found this job. For me, I spend a lot of time at work (50-60 hours a week) so if I'm unhappy there, it does tend to spill over into the rest of my life too.