What Time Do You Typically Work Out?

Options
EconMama
EconMama Posts: 10 Member
Hi guys,

What time do you all usually work out? I'm a PhD student, so I typically have flexibility in my day to go to the gym during the day. But now that things are beginning to seriously crunch as I work to finish my dissertation, I'm realizing that I might have to switch to early morning workouts in order to get it in. But I *hate* getting up early (though I feel 100% better when I do…it's just those first 5 minutes!).

Two things I've realized really help me get the work out in, regardless of time:
1) Planning the exact time I'm going to go (it helps to take a class at the gym or meet w/ a friend)
2) If I don't have a lot of time, accepting that even a half-assed 20 minute workout is better than nothing (instead of just putting it off until I can do a "real" workout)

What about you all? Morning, midday, lunch? How do you squeeze in your workouts between working and taking care of the fam? How do you motivate? And, if you're an early morning worker-outer, how do you do it!?!?!

Replies

• msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    During the week, I try to go to the gym or work out at home Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at about 8 (after the kids go to bed) and on the weekend, I try for 9 when I put the little one for a nap.
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    During the week I am lucky to do a class during the lunch hour. So Monday-Thursday I get in at least a 45minute to a 60minute DVD, right now we are doing P90X and Jillian Michaels. And Zumba once a week.
    So midday is when I get a majority of my workouts done, however I'm trying to find the time to add in treadmill time. I'm afraid its going to have to be mornings before the family wakes up, so 4:30?
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    In the evening after the kids are in bed, at 7pm. I find it hard to work all day then go home, supper, homework then workout. But I do feel a lot better after doing my working, it's just the kick in the butt to get started.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am done with work at 4:30 and try to hit the gym right after work. I workout anywhere from 30-40 minutes just depending on the day. This allows me to still get home at 5:30 and start supper while my super awesome hubby has already started the homework chore with all the kids. LOL
  • MrsRC
    MrsRC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    econmama I'm just like you - been trying to get up at 5.30am to do an hour zumba in a morning and when I do I feel great and cope so much better at work, but really not a morning person and it is so hard to drag myself out of bed at that hour!!! went for a run a couple of nights last week and really enjoyed it when I did, but been working long hours at work so again finding it difficult to drag myself out of the house after a long day at work...
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I grab 10 to 15 minute chunks of time during the course of my day, then I take 30 to 60 minutes after I've had supper. I may not get all of the goals I want, but at least I'm moving.
  • gininar
    gininar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to go at 5am. Two kids that are young, no gym daycare (I had that last year and could attend classes, but they closed), and my husband works in the evenings. I HATE waking up that early, but I have a friend who meets me 4 days a week! I always have a better morning after this workout too!
  • Sophiel000
    Options
    6am workouts otherwise it doesn't happen for me, everyone in the family is so used to it now, the kids know that when they wake up Mummy is either doing a DVD or outside on a run or walk.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I go anywhere between 7:30 and 8:00 pm. I don't have cable in my house, so I catch up on some shows while working out. Which is much better than being a couch potato and watching them on my butt I guess!!