Weigh-ins/Weight-loss Help

Options
Tempe729
Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
So I have a general weight-loss question to pose to all of my fellow Navy sailors & recruits on here...

I went in to get measurements done to see where I stand in terms of getting into the Navy.... Short story: despite doing everything I'm supposed to (eating clean 90% of the time), lots of cardio, & dropping 13lbs since last weigh-in in September, I have not managed to lose even 1/2" off my waist or hips.... Which is what I need.... Actually I have to lose either 34lbs or 3 inches (minimum), whether from my hips, waist, or combo of both in order to meet Navy standards. :noway:

I'm at a loss on how I can change up my workout routines even more when I've been specifically told to steer clear of any lower body weight lifting or any major lifting period, and do naught but cardio--(I alternate between high-intensity interval training to endurance weight/fat-burn; sometimes I'll do a session of each within the same day!)

As of today my measurements (according to my female recruiter) are:
Height: 63.5"
Neck: 13.5"
Waist: 31.5"
Hips: 45.5"
BF% ~ 40% (Need to be at 36%)

I've been bad at sugar consumption the past week, but even then I stay within my 1300-1500 cal limit and make sure I get in at least all of or most of my protein.

Do I switch my (already varied) "diet" to greens & protein shakes... or keep it the same?

The female recruiter suggested I do hips exercises to shed the inches, which back in September both she & my primary recruiter said to steer clear of. :huh:

IDK.... I'm frustrated & at a loss as to what the hell I can do to get in.... since I'm not in the DEP, I would have to find a new recruiter in Idaho and work with them... After a year of working with my current recruiter that's the last thing I want to do.....:explode:

Replies

• AEFidgets
    Options
    I'd lift and do cardio, just to be a fitter person in general. I'll take a look at your food diary layer and let you know my thoughts
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I'd lift and do cardio, just to be a fitter person in general. I'll take a look at your food diary layer and let you know my thoughts
    thanks! :ohwell:
  • hrls83
    hrls83 Posts: 46
    Options
    building muscle also burns fat.... do light weights with more reps rather than heavy weights with less reps.... my husband is always on me to do more core exercises and to use the core focused weight machines at the gym... hes my own personal trainer when i let him be... haha but he says i ***** too much
  • hrls83
    Options
    i asked my husband (AD Navy) too he says best way to lose weight is to run. best way to tone and lose inches is to do upwards of 500 crunches per day (and that will also help you when it comes to the PRT) he also says lots of leg lifts and swimmers!! when he tries to lose inches he will work out with one of those belly band things too.... just some ideas for ya!
  • Tempe729
    Options
    i asked my husband (AD Navy) too he says best way to lose weight is to run. best way to tone and lose inches is to do upwards of 500 crunches per day (and that will also help you when it comes to the PRT) he also says lots of leg lifts and swimmers!! when he tries to lose inches he will work out with one of those belly band things too.... just some ideas for ya!

I won't have access to weight machines for heavy lifting (other then normal upper body stuff) but I'll definently start upping the number of crunches I do and make sure I do them everyday). I've never heard of the belly band thing though but I do, do leg lifts and swimmers :smile:

Thanks to you and your husband!
  • hrls83
    Options
    its just a rubber band thing that wraps around your waist. it makes your core sweat.... he wore one all the time when he was trying to get in. He did that, ran and used some kind of exercise thing that attached to our door.... he lost 30lbs in 6 weeks to join back in 2010 - but he got in on BMI. now he just uses the band when it is close to weigh ins. you get it in the fitness section of walmart or target.

good luck and keep up the great work! you can do it!

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/12167842/golds-gym-waist-trimmer-belt-reviews/reviews.htm
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey! Sorry I have been missing in action...life is soo busy right now. I swear by protein shakes! I know some people are totally against them...but I think without them I would still be struggling. I pretty much eat whatever I want but keep it under 300 calories for lunch and dinner...and then have a shake whenever I feel hungry! I found that whey protein doesn't do it for me...casein is the way to go! It is a slow digesting protein and makes you feel fuller longer, where as whey is quick and wont keep you full. I honestly never feel hungry. And I have noticed if I stop drinking shakes and just try to stay under my calories I wont lose any thing...protein has to be playing a huge part in weight loss!
    Maybe a suggestion would be add 2 protein shakes in your day...they are usually about 100 calories. So find somwhere to replace 200 calories and see if upping protein helps a little? Worth a shot right?

Also, I found this workout called DDP Yoga... you might have found the video of a ex soldier who couldn't walk then did this and now he is healthy and what not. I got it and it totally pumps your heart rate up and makes you sweat. Not sure about long term use or if it is a gimmick, but for the moment I am doing something and I feel the burn during it. :)

OH, and on the waist trimmer thing...I also read a few studies while in a nutrition class for nursing school that compression suits are actually proved to help slim down the parts of the body they are compressing! I totally forgot about that until I read this! I am going to try to find the studies and I'll post them. I'm sure google will bring up some information but these were like actual scientific studies that said it actually worked. I'm not sure if it is the belly trimmer as stated above, but I assume it is the same concept. I might have to get me one :P
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I' ve found that I lose the most weight by doing a variety of exercises; cardio with intervals, long distance, short bursts, etc, weightlifting, kickboxing etc. How is your 1.5 mile run? Working on this will help you immensely in both losing weight and getting ready for your prts. While I know you are trying to get in quickly try and lose what you can without the bands and sauna suits. The more in shape you are the better and while they may allow you to join with 36% bf, once you are in yiu must maintain at the max weight for your height or 33%. And believe me it's been a struggle. I'm your height and I spend a good hour a day in the gym just trying to stay at my max weight. You'll lose a good amount in boot camp, but I just want you to try and stay away from quick fixes I've seen some recruiters try and use on recruits.

I typed this on my nook, so hopefully it makes sense.
  • hrls83
    Options
    I think this makes perfect sense! My husband did all the "quick fixes" and got in at max BMI. Of course he lost about 15lbs in boot but has since put it back on. He is always struggling to stay under max weight. He gets tapped and is fine but HATES always having to be tapped.
  • mtmom
    mtmom Posts: 13
    Options
    If you want to lose weight around your waist and hips, you need to cut carbs. Fill as much of your diet as possible with lean protein and vegetables. Try to go with low sugar vegetables (no carrots, but broccoli, cucumbers, bell peppers, cauliflower are great).
    Also, do not drink anything other than water (although I have a weakness for iced tea).
    Combine that with your cardio, and you should see some results quickly!
  • coyadix
    Options
    That is great advice mtmom, I got the same info from a former solder.