Step 1: Shift your mindset (fake it 'til you make it)

Options
Here's what I know for sure:

I got fat by eating and drinking mindlessly.

I ate and drank mindlessly because I had a few years of extra-high stress. Doesn't matter why. Everybody has 'em. That's life.

When I made the active decision to take control of my life, I became deliberate about everything I chose to do. That included eating and drinking.

For awhile, that felt very awkward and contrived. But in the spirit of "fake it 'til you make it," I have done it for a year and lost nearly 55 pounds.

And now it's actually starting to become second nature to eat and drink and move with deliberation.

If you haven't made the mindshift yet, that's Step 1.

Nobody can do it for you. This step is all yours.

Peace,
Alice

Replies

• juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Alice,that is so true.We got ourselves into this situation and with self determination and the help of friends on here to support we can get ourselves out. It boils down to how badly we want to achieve our goals.
    This will be a good thing to remember especially during the holidays when life gets hectic.If you are going to be out shopping make sure that you take a healthy snack with you incase you don't have time to eat a healthy meal,(piece of fruit,energy bar,vegetable sticks,carrots, celery etc) otherwise you will be setting yourself up to:wink: grab something that you might be sorry for later.
    Sorry if it sounds like i am preaching,just want everyone to get through the holidays not feeling guilty.
    Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.There is so much to be thankful for.
    Have a great day.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    True that is, true that is.... My life story almost mirrors your's and I have made the 1st step for the last time. This IS my LIFESTYLE change for the rest of my life. :drinker:
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely correct. When I stopped smoking in 1984, my group leader said, "After today, you will never be the same mindless smoker as you were when you arrived." I have used that statement so many ways to illustrate the point - overeating, overspending, overanything! The same principle applies. When you pay attention, you get results!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    It is all in the daily discipline!
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I too gained weight due to a stressful situation, and I have been surprised at how difficult it is to shift now I am over fifty.

I had been doing well this year until life turned stressful a fortnight ago. My dad has had cataract surgery and I have been having to drive to his house several times a day to do his eye drops.
    I have found myself eating mindlessly again. I have decided to start counting calories, and if the quality of food isn't as good as I'd like and if I haven't got time to exercise I am still in control.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That is the most important aspect of a diet, an exercise program, or any goal you have in your life. You can pay for an expensive diet plan or have a personal trainer, but if you don't have the right mindset, it's all for naught!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - it gets easier and more natural as you go :)
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! For the first time in 52 years, I don't like the feeling of being "stuffed", I look forward to exercise and when I falter, I forgive myself and move on. Here's hoping I've finally figured it out!

Love the word "deliberate"...you're right, it's a conscious decision, it doesn't just happen.
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree...it begins with a determination to change from a direction that is not healthy or beneficial for you. Your mindset is such a key factor in making better choices in your diet, exercise and ultimately your lifestyle!
  • trugift
    trugift Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I too agree....I thought my mind was just working aganist me. I would leave work for lunch wanting a burger and fries and I would end up at Subway getting a salad....

So I really understand when they say this is a LIFESTYLE change, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I understand people wanting to form better habits and to not have to think about what they eat, logging, etc. I'd love that too, But the fact is I will ALWAYS have to be mindful of what I'm eating. Yes, I'm forming better habits, and I don't automatically grab some things anymore (like a giant Fast Break candy bar!), but it's something I will always have to watch out for. So yep, I agree - fake it till you make it!