Dilemma

Options
Not sure if sugar addicted.... or my body is compensating for having NO junk or treats in the house by devouring a pint of Trader Joe's chocolate coconut ice cream.......

I need to learn how to eat with modest cheats. Because if I eat 110% clean, ^^^THIS happens.

Replies

• BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you cant manage to do clean all the time perhaps allow a treat once a week? It wont do your body any harm but mentaly it might be great for you to still have treats :D and it could be called damage limitation in case not having them at all causes a binge
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard that before, and I have tried to do that. What happens is I either eat clean but don't really cut back calories, so I don't feel like I deserve a treat, and/or I eat the treat, and it triggers a small binge anyway. .... :-( I was doing so well last year, I was doing a mandatory fitness class at my university and running on my own, had gotten down to a very fit and lean 134lbs. But I was over-working myself, got an injury, and still haven't recovered, and have subsequently gained like 7-8lbs and fallen back into the disordered eating of my high school past.
    *sigh....
    I can only stay motivated for like 3 days before I just want to eat everything. Even if I'm not really lowering my calorie intake. So this has got to be more of a psychological thing. I can't figure it out.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    figured another bunny had to reply! what's your definition of eating clean? are you meeting ALL your nutritional needs? it would help to see your diary...perhaps you're missing something that could help keep cravings under control.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I find that if I supress cravings for chocolate, etc. I go crazy and eat a lot of it! So, what I do is make my own "healthier" deserts.

I eat 4 meals a day, 300-400 calories. about 4 hours apart. I know I crave chocolate around 4 PM, so for my third meal(around 4 PM) I have a mini chocolate cake sweetened with stevia (recipe on my profile. Add me as a friend!)

I bake a lot of my own deserts to make them healthier. Don't supress, just find substitutes! 400 calories is 400 calories, whether it be from cake batter or a veggie wrap. If you know you're craving chocolate, make healthier substitutes( you can make your own chocolate with coconut butter and stevia) and add that into your daily calorie amount. Or eat the real thing(in moderation!) and add that into your daily calorie intake as well. If you supress it, you're just going to binge!

chocolatecoveredkatie.com has amazing vegan, healthier desert recipes.

Also, runsforcookies. com is a blog made by a woman who lost a bunch of weight with a massive sweet tooth. See how she did it!
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yes I recently discovered chocolatecoveredkatie! :) her stuff looks delicious, I have to try it.

I'm not missing anything, I'm very careful to get all the protein/carbs/fat that I need, and now I'm even tracking my calcium and iron here since I turned vegan. My diary was open, but then I closed it...maybe I should open it again. Peer motivation. :-P

Thanks for the tips!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat." I allow myself to have a sweet little something and factor it in. I adore dried ginger and will usually have two pieces after a meal. It's something I love and it has a satisfying sweetness for me. I will occasionally buy a good quality dark chocolate bar and will indulge in a square. I find that hot tea helps - I love tea and have all sorts of flavored teas, some black, some herbal, and will sweeten it with Truvia. Sometimes a little bit of a healthy cereal with unsweetened almond milk hits the spot. Some hot cocoa with whipped coconut cream. It's nice and rich and fills me up without overdoing it. If I'm REALLY craving something sweet and feel like I will overdo it with something "bad," chances are I need something more substantial and will have an apple and a nut butter - almond and cashew are my favorites. I have found that the less I "forbid" foods, the less I crave them.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Eating 100% clean is hard not to mention, mentally, its rather restrictive. For some its maintainable, but for most, it is just a set up for giving up and/or binge eating. i used to be a clean food obsessor and 100% on top of my macros, but there came a point where i just couldn't handle it any longer, which meant anytime sweets were around, they were devoured, not logged and i had sabotaged my hard-work for the week in seconds. SO what do i do differently now? I'm relaxed about my diet, my macros and generally don't obsess with what I'm eating. If i want a muffin instead of a tofu scramble for breakfast, gawdamnit i'm eating that muffin or i'll be eating a plate of cookies when they just so happen to come by me later. Give yourself a break, allow yourself to eat what you want and eventually these crazy urges will slowly dissipate. I always have something sweet,everyday. Its a matter of budgeting it into your calorie allowance. Don't say no to yourself or you know you'll be saying yes to everything that is junk.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I find that if I supress cravings for chocolate, etc. I go crazy and eat a lot of it! So, what I do is make my own "healthier" deserts.

I eat 4 meals a day, 300-400 calories. about 4 hours apart. I know I crave chocolate around 4 PM, so for my third meal(around 4 PM) I have a mini chocolate cake sweetened with stevia (recipe on my profile. Add me as a friend!)

I bake a lot of my own deserts to make them healthier. Don't supress, just find substitutes! 400 calories is 400 calories, whether it be from cake batter or a veggie wrap. If you know you're craving chocolate, make healthier substitutes( you can make your own chocolate with coconut butter and stevia) and add that into your daily calorie amount. Or eat the real thing(in moderation!) and add that into your daily calorie intake as well. If you supress it, you're just going to binge!

Also, runsforcookies. com is a blog made by a woman who lost a bunch of weight with a massive sweet tooth. See how she did it!

You just made my day! Thank you!!!! :laugh:
  • _timothy
    Options
    I don't really deprive myself of the things that I want when I want them. I just try not to eat them too often, and to only have a small amount. I don't guilt myself over them either. I eat them and move on. I don't count calories either. If I eat really bad, I just hit the gym harder than usual to try to make up for it. I think as long as you are mostly eating unprocessed foods, whole foods, lots of veggies, not much sugar, then when you *do* have a vegan cupcake or some dark chocolate or whatever, then you really truly enjoy it, and a little is all you need. Also, if I'm craving junkfood, I drink a couple glasses of water, and half the time the craving goes away. Good luck!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't really deprive myself of the things that I want when I want them. I just try not to eat them too often, and to only have a small amount.

I agree with Timothy - I don't really deprive myself if I'm having some major craving for it. I eat "clean" on most part but I also have a bag of chocolate chips in my work drawer (among other treats) - if you get on the right track of thinking and knowing how to control yourself, you'll be fine. I think it does more harm if you're making yourself miserable from not allowing the occasional treat.
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar situation myself. What I try to do is to not have unhealthy food in the house. When I do, I eat it all at once! So when I do treat myself, I try to keep it small.

My biggest downfall are the coconut milk fudgsicles - they are so delicious and when I buy them I eat them in a day or two all by myself! So... I try not to buy them. When I pass them in the vegan ice cream aisle, I look the other way. When I DO buy them, I justify it by saying that I have been deprived of such delicious food for so long (I've been vegan for 10 years) that I am allowed to eat these delicious treats. It's just gotten out of hand. Now I'm only going to buy them if I've had a really good week of working out.

It's figuring out how to use treats as a reward rather than a common occurrence. At least, for me it is. If there are other issues in there, it can be even more difficult. As long as you're getting all of your required nutrients, then you should be doing ok.

Oh yah, another thing that you could do is eat a banana or apple instead of a sugary treat. That helps a bit too. :)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!! I have been on Katie's website for the past 30 minutes with saucer eyes drooling over all the lovely healthy desserts. I am making myself some flourless chocolate chip cookies when I get home!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE baked goods too but just remember that even though vegan desserts are usually healthier than the non-vegan counterparts, it's still largely carbs/sugar.

Says the girl with bags of home-baked chocolate chunk/coconut/craisin cookies, Trader Joe's Jo-Jo's (it's like Oreo's with broken up pieces of peppermint candy in the frosting) and bags of chocolate chips in the pantry.. -.-