Kudos on Strava?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
What do you give Kudos for on Strava?

Personally I don't give Kudos for rides under 20km and I don't give Kudos for running (as it isn't something I do...)

Just wondered what made you click the Kudos button?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    well - it kind of depends on my knowledge of the rider...

Generally, I don't give kudos for summer commutes under 20km unless they're executed at over 25kph. Winter commutes are different - we know about rule #5 and #9, but it it's still nice to get a pat on the back for going out in bogging/freezing conditions...

running - well - anyone who CAN run impresses me, so they can have a click.

Anyone who does over a hour (or a specifically detailed heavy session) on a indoor bike trainer gets a thumbs up too...

and, frankly, knowing some people from on here, and being aware that they are targetting 100 miles in a month and perhaps struggling to get that far, reminds me of where I was 18 months ago, so they get the most heart-felt well-done's I can give!

In short, it's certainly NOT just a case of working my way through my entire activity feed going click, click, click...

...though, as most of my contacts on there are fairly awesome, there is quite a lot of clicking going on...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    As I haven't been posting outdoor rides I haven't been very active as of late. Y'all can HTFU, but the dangerous back roads of WV are a risky enough when its light and dry. Anyway, that aside, I give kudos to a newbie for consistent riding 3+ times a week. For you seasoned folks you have to work for my praise. I look at the ride time, elevation, speed, KOM, etc. If you kicked some tail, I'm impressed.

I'll occassionally click a run, but only if I know your goals and where you are. If you are showing improvement or getting close to a goal I think that's fabulous. If I don't know you and you post a 2 mile run @ 10min mile I pass because that could just be a cool down for you.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Lol you guys are hard core. I think anyone getting their *kitten* out the door and has the desire to track their activities deserve kudos. Comments? Maybe not as much. Kudos are encouraging for people desiring to get more fit. Just my 2 pennies.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I hand out Kudos like candy. I figure if they get their butts off the couch, they're doing more work than most people, so I hand them out for everything.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I give them out anytime someone went above and beyond, getting a PR or a KOM or going out in nasty weather.
  • TheGeordie
    Options
    I think kudos are earned for going above and beyond, however sometimes just making the consistent effort deserves it. Also occasionally I give kudos to people for inspiring and motivating me to make an effort!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Not really any specific criteria, if you're out there turning the pedals that's good enough for me!

I have given runners Kudos, because it's hard and they deserve it.
  • indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've probably been a bit meagre with the kudos up to now. Multiple trophies should definitely be worthy, and as many other people have said, if you can drag your *kitten* off the couch and go out into the teeth of the winter weather then fair play to you. click.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I hope no one gave me a kudo on Sunday for my first time on Strava. I don't know how it happened, but our family bike ride some how turned into a flight to somewhere in the ocean by Africa for 14,000+ miles. I have no idea how that happened. I went to MapMyRide and put it it in and we actually rode 22.2 miles in 3 hrs and 30 minutes. That's with a grumpy 9 year old who for the first 45 mintues wasn't feeling the beauty of a 65 degree day on Dec 2. He just wanted to go home after 5 miles and I said 'no, get over yourself.' He finally heard the words 'the choice is yours - ride and be angry and hate this day, or ride and enjoy it and have good memories." And it did in the end. I'm not sure I'll use Strava again. I wasn't impressed.
  • cccorlew
    cccorlew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hand out Kudos like candy

Me too. They're free.

Except I admit I think it's weird when I get them for my daily 8 mile bike commute.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Me too. They're free.

Except I admit I think it's weird when I get them for my daily 8 mile bike commute.

I give them out every time I see a friend get out there and go for it, whether it's biking or running. I don't know what personal obstacles they had to overcome to get out and do their exercises.

Even if it's their daily bike commute! Ha.

Isn't consistency the key? And since it's too cold for wimpy me to get out there right now, I'd give them double kudos if I could!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    As I see it, there's no point being stingy with the kudos. Everybody needs an atta-boy or -girl now and then... especially friends.
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree Kudos are like candy.... free candy for everyone!!!!
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have only a few people on my strava. I check it daily; partly because I cycle daily and see their rides.

I mostly check out the profile of the ride or distance, trophies and give kudos on that basis.

Most people on there as well are people that have had to work hard to get there as well.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    For myself, Yea, large distances/times, personal record and achievements are the biggest determinations, but think sometimes a kudos goes a long ways to help push someone to keep it up that someone notices. Kind of nice to get the email.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Me too. They're free.

^^^This.

I give out commute kudos especially for those dealing with urban/suburban commutes...fighting traffic is a well-known battle and deserves a pat on the back to play with the steel beasts as a daily occurrence.