Push-ups

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
Can anyone here do pushups? I am trying and can't even do one. I work at it every day, but can only get half way down. What can I work on to finally be able to do just one. That's all I'm asking for, to be able to do just one. I am 51 years and 50 weeks old, lol I don't want to feel like a lost cause, I want to do it!

Replies

• joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Push ups are my nemesis! But I will get there, and you can too. Are you trying the full body ones like from a full plank? I can't do any of those right now, but I have when my body weight is not so heavy. To help build strength, I do pushups from the all fours position, and then as they get easier I move the hands out more forward so my body is inclined. Then when that gets easier, I have the lower legs on a step bench or stability ball so the legs are straight but off the ground. Eventually, I have done a few pushups from the toes , getting farther down over time. You also build strength just holding a plank position. Good luck; you can get there!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a single one! I have never been able to do one. But that is one of my fitness goals is to be able to do pushups! I will conquer it! =)
  • acogg
    Options
    I can do the plank with no problem. I can even hold side planks for over 20 seconds. I think it might be my arms and shoulders that are weak. I am doing a work out video that has three sets of push ups, every day I try my hardest to do a full push up and end up having to do the knee ones. If I can just do one, I can work up from there. It's that darn first one that I need!
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nah, I can't do a pushup. I don't think I ever could, even when I was younger/thinner (44 now/209). I have very little upper body strength.

Try the 'girl' pushups, on your knees, with your feet crossed in the air. Those are a bit easier.

I can't bench press much either. Maybe 20, 30 pounds at the very most. Hurts in my armpits when I do either of these things, as though there is no muscle there at all. Perhaps there isn't...

Good luck.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I reallllly want to be able to do a regular push-up. I have been doing the modified push-up's several times a week (except this week since I have a shoulder injury)
    I found this youtube video that shows how you can build up to doing regular push-ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiFdfDBY77g

I think its pretty helpful. :)
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    This is actually something I have been working on. When I first started I could only do one regular and maybe 10 knee pushups. I am up to 3 sets of 15 knee pushups, three times a week. When I get to 3 sets of 20 each of the knee pushups, I will start the same routine with regular pushups until I will hopefully eventually have 3 sets of 20 regular.

If you can't do them at all, one thing I have heard is to start out with pushups against a counter , then graduate to knee, then finally to regular.

I wanted to do them, and started because I read how pushups are the perfect exercise. They work arms, back, legs, core...so much all in one exercise!
  • acogg
    Options
    Thank your for the video. It is very helpful to finally find out what I can do to improve my strength so that I can do that one push-up. According to the video I am pretty close. I need to get to my half-way point and hold it as long as I can, several times a day. I can do that!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yes! Military style. I credit my workouts for getting me there though! I started on my knees, would do some throughout the day off a counter top or whatever, then came ChaLean Extreme.....push-up queen! First she has you lifting heavy and then you do a breakdown set of push-ups, but I've gotten better I do more on my toes than my knees now and they are all the way to the ground!

Edit to say, I'm going to continue to work on these and improve!
  • cloh72
    cloh72 Posts: 38
    Options
    I might could do one good push up...I had an assessment the other day and she had me doing push ups on my knees, I surprised myself by doing 17...where did that come from? I was told that I should be able to do at least 5 regular push ups but hmmm haven't tried that...guess that will be a goal I should work on.
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try doing push ups on the stairs. Feet on the floor and hands on the 4th or 5th stair. Work on them here until you can do 10 then move your hands down a stair. Before you know it you will be doing them on the floor!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I wil be 41 in two weeks. 2 months ago I started a Bodyweight exercise routine. When I started I could do 2 push ups. I can do 10 now. It's not a HUGE improvement. But I am pleased with it!

I can also hold a plank pose for 60 seconds now. It was 10 seconds when I started 2 months ago.

They will never be somethingI am great a, but I am much better now.
  • acogg
    Options
    What day is your birthday? Mine is the 14th.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    What day is your birthday? Mine is the 14th.
    16th.
  • acogg
    Options
    Darn, I was hoping for an online birthday party.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and I can do 4 push-ups, man-style, with a lot of effort. I can do 8-10 (on a good day), woman-style, with a bit less effort. Upper body strength is my weakest area. I do planks every morning now to work my upper body. It can be done! ...but it takes a concentrated effort, for sure.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Try doing push ups on the stairs. Feet on the floor and hands on the 4th or 5th stair. Work on them here until you can do 10 then move your hands down a stair. Before you know it you will be doing them on the floor!!
    What a great idea! I'm on it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You're not a lost cause! I was going to suggest starting on your knees, but the stairs are a great idea! I went from 0 to 40-50 regular ones over the course of a few months. I would give myself a goal every night. Once you do the first real one, the rest will start piling on! Good luck! 44 here.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I was gonna suggest this. ^^^ I can only do like 10 "guy" push ups, then have to drop & do "girl" ones, but a year ago I couldn't do any! Keep working at it & you'll surprise yourself one day!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    We did push ups in our Tabatas line up today. I did two 30 second sets the normal way, set #3 was poor form, set 4-6 were on knees and sets 7&8 were inclined..and on knees. I about died.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I saw this post and decided to see where I stood. I can do 5 before collapsing. It's all in upper body strength. Work on that the rest will come. My husband says that I'm "strong like bull" because I've always moved heavy furniture around and room to room without asking for help...mainly cuz I'm impatient to wait for anyone! Other than that, I'm in sucky shape so ---- I'll be working on upping my pushups now as well as everything else!! Thanks for the motivation!