Feeling stuck

Options
Collinsky
Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
I feel like I'm stuck WRT my running. I feel like I'm unbelievably slow, and can't break through. I'm so frustrated by how freaking slow I am that I almost have been toying with the idea of conventional running shoes, so I can go faster. (I can totally go faster in running shoes. For that whole 400 meters before I get shin splints. LOL) I feel like I'm stuck at a 16+ min/mi, and not able to run much farther than ~4 miles, and that's with a couple of 30-60 second walk breaks in there. I don't want to push too hard, and end up hurting myself, but I want to get to that next level.

This is probably just part of the normal progression, but any tips for improving my running would be appreciated. I just feel stuck at this level. Anyone else feel this? What did you do?

Replies

• Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/speedanddistance.html <-- coming across this was really helpful. I've been barefoot running "for over a year" but I took quite a long time off and just started up again with regular running 3 weeks ago. OF COURSE I'm not as fast or running as far as I'd like. I'm getting out of it exactly what I've put into it, and I should be pretty glad that I didn't have to start over from square one! LOL
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I run 4 min walk 15 sec and am at a 10:49 mile why don't you start a 30 sec run 30 sec walk program till you build up stamina? I started there at a 14 min mile 65 days ago
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Maybe try incorporating sprints? do your normal easy slow jog and then every minute throw in a 15 second sprint? should help increase long term calorie burn and speed.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i am finally at the point i'm getting faster barefoot than i ever was in shoes. And yes now no shin splints.
    But it takes time. I didn't do anything in particular to get faster. I don't even feel faster. I am still relatively slow compared to most people.
    Don't stress about it. One of the whole points of barefoot running is to get back to the joy of it.
    Does speed really matter? I can't imagine that you'll not get faster naturally over time, but even if you didn't would it be the end of the world? At least you'd be healthy and injury free and hopefully enjoying running for the sake of it.