Pureed foods

Options
I am going to be starting the pureed diet soon and was wondering what suggestions you all had

Replies

• SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't really eaten too many pureed foods! I stick with protein shakes and greek yogurt for the most part. I have had some cheddar potato soup from Bear Creek that is awesome and also had some refried beans with cheese and sour cream. I also eat a piece of cheese every now and then. I tend to stick to one or two foods that I really like, even before surgery! lol
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I lived on instant mashed potatoes and stained soups for 2 weeks post op. I am so sick of potatoes (used to be my fav) that now I won't eat them at all. You can add sour cream and cheese to the potatoes to make then tasty. I tried the refried beans with sour cream but I didnt like the texture. I couldn't eat greek yogurt to save my life because I found the taste repulsive hahaha! So instant potatoes were my go-to. Ohh and sugar free pops!! I went through boxes of them!!

Find a good protein shake and stock up!! I love the Atkins shakes and Syntrax Nectar protein (get the sample pack for a good variety). You will do great :D
  • vdcthiessen
    Options
    I lived on Medifast, sugar free tropical Popsicles, Chicken soup, yogurt, sugar free pudding,mashed potatoes and smoothies (made with milk yogurt splenda and frozen fruit.
  • TheNewRenee
    Options
    There is a great ibook with a meal plan and recipes for the pureed food diet. It is called Bariatric Nutrition Essentials Recovering from Surgery. It is book two of a three book series which includes "Preparing for surgery" and "Healthy Living After Surgery" I was looking forward to using all of the meal plans during my process but my surgery center is pretty strict about the diet pre surgery and the two week liquid diet. Now that I am on pureed foods and have lots of flexibility I am doing the meal plan in the book and it is fantastic! I love being able to actually eat real food that I cook and prepare myself!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, cream of wheat and greek yogurt were my main foods. I also had some ricotta cheese lasagna (mixed some veggies with pasta sauce and ricotta and baked) and refried beans.

I also had a lot of protein smoothies which I mixed with yogurt and fruit and other mix in such as peanut butter, per the doctor's recommendation to add some more calories.

Just remember this phase doesnt last too long in retrospect lol.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One tip I learned that helped me....put a can of cream of whatever soup (I used chicken for most) in a Tupperware / Rubbermaid container. When you puree your meet, put a little of that in it. It helps you digest it better - makes it a bit more creamy and not a dry like. You can also use chicken broth or whatever. The cream just helped it stick longer.
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    I just finished the puree stage. I did a lot of chicken and cottage cheese. as posted above, broth or "cream of" soups are awesome for getting past the dryness of pureed items. I also would make some "runny" mashed potatoes with cheese or sour cream in them. Actually, if you puree cottage cheese, it is kind of like sour cream.