Newly Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Options
On Wednesday, October 3, 2012, I was told by a breast surgeon that I have breast cancer. Today is Sunday, October 7th, 2012 and I have cried everyday since Wednesday. Although I am horridly scared to have cancer at the age of 46, I don't cry for me. I cry for my 15 year old son. I'm a single parent and it's just us. It's always been just us throughout my pregnancy and since the day he was born. His life would drastically change without me and where would he go? Yes, my mind has gone there.

On August 31st I went for a mammogram along with some other doctor's appointments (gynecologist and dermatologist). I'd previously seen my primary care physician, the dentist, and a podiatrist. Something was just put in me to see doctors because I am one to skip years without going to one. Thank God He put the doctor idea into my head.

So on August 31st, I had an abnormal mammogram and was asked to take another. I made another appointment but skipped it being who I am. On Sept. 26th I actually went. No one stays in the radiologist's office for four hours...mammogram, sonogram, sonogram again, "The doctor would like to speak to you personally", "I'm calling your primary physician within the next 30 minutes so a biopsy can be scheduled". I went for a biopsy on the 1st of October and was told on the 3rd of October that I have locally advanced breast cancer in my left breast. It has spread to the lymph nodes under my arm. I will have an MRI and PET scan within the next day or two for staging and I pray that the cancer has not spread throughout my body. But, the breast surgeon said that surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation are definitely in my future.

I've been on My Fitness Pal before. But, I'm here now to live. I've been overweight my entire life. However, if changing my food choices and losing weight will decrease the likelihood of cancer. I have to and I will.

Sorry for being long-winded. The last few days have been overwhelming. I'll know more after my MRI and PET scan.

Replies

• survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey Survivor1966, I am survivor1952!!! I was diagnosed 12 years ago when I was 47 so I can relate to your situation somewhat. Mine was found on a yearly mammo, my left breast also. I had "invasive ductal carcinoma", stage 1 with 1 cancerous lymph node. I had a lumpectomy and removal of all lymph nodes. Did chemo & radiation. Mine was estrogen receptive positive so I did a few years of Tamoxifin and then switched to Arimidex. If you want to "friend" me we can talk more, I care!!! Good luck, you will be in my prayers!
  • Survivor1966
    Options
    All Systems Clear and Ready to Go!

Okay...not exactly CLEAR clear. But, On October 16th, I saw my breast surgeon. My biggest fear was the breast cancer spreading to other areas of my body and being a stage 4. As I was calm on the outside but anxious on the inside, the conversation started with the surgeon stating, "Your lungs are clear, your kidneys are clear, your ______ is clear...." Honestly I stopped hearing him for a second because a breath of fresh air went through my body. I am going to live!!!

Yes, I still have breast cancer. And, yes it did spread to one lymph node under my arm...making me a Stage 2B. But that's it! Maybe I shouldn't say that's it...because breast cancer IS breast cancer. But, I feel truly relieved and blessed. Blessed because I skip doctor's appointments, mammograms, and such. I am so grateful that God put it in my spirit to get physicals because my cancer is an aggressive cancer. My breast surgeon said the rate of growth is between 80% -90%. It's 3.8cm now. Today, I asked my oncologist what does aggressive really mean as in time periods. He said within a few months, the tumor would have probably doubled.

Okay then...that's good enough for me...I guess I'm off to chemotherapy. Which starts the 29th of October by the way. A little nervous...yes. Downright scared...no. I'm in good spirits because I've been blessed to have it found before it was too late.
    I'm scheduled for eight rounds of chemotherapy on a bi-weekly basis (ending in February), surgery (probably in March), and radiation (I'm estimating May and June). I teach elementary school so I'm taking a leave of absence starting at the Thanksgiving break. Too many absences in my future and I don't know about side-effects.

So, on this journey I continue to trod.
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Thank you for the update. Evertbody who experiences breast cancer has a different journey, no two of us are alike. Having been there, I can tell you its a long road. But the outcome...LIFE...is well worth all you have to go through. You will have good days, you will have bad days, you will have happy days, you will have sad days. Just try to keep the long term goal in focus and that is getting rid of the cancer & moving on with your life. I don't know your spiritual side but my faith got me through a lot of rough times. God loves you and He will be with you through this journey, lean on Him. I am here 12 years later & I care. Please write me anytime you need an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on or a survivor to share happiness with. God Bless You!
  • mblampton
    Options
    How is chemotherapy going?

I was diagnosed Stage 2A in 2010 at age 36. I did chemo, double mastectomy, and reconstruction. Last month, bone and CT scans found metastasis in my lungs and bones. So I started chemo again last week.

I've been on MFP since July and lost 37 pounds, but I'm struggling with staying motivated. I look at my boys - just 8 and 11 - and I know that I must fight this for them. My first chemo went well, so I just need to get my butt back in the pool and get my walking shoes warmed up again. I registered for the 2013 3-Day - my fifth one - to hopefully keep me going!

Feel free to friend me if I won't be too much of a downer. :)
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck, you are in my thoughts & prayers.
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Hey survvior1966!!! Haven't heard an update from you in awhile. How are you doing?
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi mblampton, I'm sending you a friend request.
    So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and return to chemo. I just finished chemo and will start radiation therapy in January. I've been wanting to swim -- I haven't done so far a number of years -- but I'm procrastinating now and blaming it on my lack of hair!
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Had my yearly mammogram yesterday and all is good!!! No changes from last years. I am now a 12 year 3 month survivor.
  • MovinonmomDawn
    Options
    So happy for you! I bet it was a nerve racking couple of days leading up to it.
  • survivor1952
    Options
    So how is it going for you? I am so proud of you all. Going through treatment is hard but you all are taking control of your health by eating right, good job! I did not have the will power for years to get where I am now. My wishes for a happy, healthy new year to everyone here. :heart:
  • fattoothfairy
    fattoothfairy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I was recently diagnosed with IDC in the right breast am awaiting a partial mastectomy and diagnosis of the sentinel node to confirm the stage and future treatments.
    How is everything goine survivor66?
  • survivor1952
    Options
    hello "tooth fairy". Hope all goes well with your surgery & treatment. If you want, add me as afriend. I have gone through this journey & its good to have support!