Is it an idea to join Weightwatchers ?

Options
Well am thinking of joining Weightwatchers as I need some one to watch me step on the scales each week ! And to give me the kick to keep up the good work. What do you think ?

Replies

• slugkiller
    slugkiller Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't.

In the past I've paid WW for the privilege of watching me step on some scales, but then I read an article somewhere which said why bother with changing calories into points then working out how much you have had, just use calories. That's why I'm on MFP. I must have saved a fortune...

How about joining one of the many groups or challenges on here which have a common goal, like losing xlbs by Christmas, New Year etc? They are good for regular progress reports, motivation, support etc.

Good luck with your mission!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It's not that simple any more. The new pro points system gives calories a different waiting according to if they are from protein, fibre etc. you get daily points plus weekly but I could never find the correct level of weekly ones to use, in order to lose weight. Didn't work for me but does for loads of people.
    If you want accountability, use here. I also at one time had phone/ email consultations with a dietician. It was more personal and she was definitely more knowledgable than WW leaders who I find just make up answers to questions if they don't know the answer.
  • flipperflapper
    flipperflapper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat. My sister in law lost 7 stone on WW and I lost 7 stone with a mixture of this and seeing a dietician and Cambridge diet. if you want WW for dietry advice forget it but maybe a group is more your thing
    I now weigh once a week t the gym and that gives me a print out that can't be argued with.
    Good luck with your mission
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Personally i think its a waste of money. Back in the day it was popular because you had guidance, a little calculator and you felt like you could achieve something. Now you have free apps, easy logging and a regular weigh in. With friends on here you can support each other just as much as you could at WW.

Why waste that money
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    MFP does something similar for free....
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You could pay £1 a week to stand on one of those scales that print out your weight and body fat etc. they have them in most gyms, in shopping centres and Boots etc. Then join a group on here where you share your weight with others.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Why not do as others have said join a group on here weigh yourself and let us know. and put the money you would have sent on the class in a jar and when you reach a goal buy youself something.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well am thinking of joining Weightwatchers as I need some one to watch me step on the scales each week ! And to give me the kick to keep up the good work. What do you think ?

I'd say it depends whether or not you you are looking to join for the camaraderie or the weight-loss plan?

They do say you're more likely to succeed at losing weight as part of a group and MFP is one such group, but you might feel more inclined to keep on track with regular meetings and weekly weight-ins. As on MFP, WW's membership is about 90% female, but that's not to say you won't get encouragement from your fellow WW.

I've done WW in the past and with all the best intentions, I did find the whole points system just an added complication I could do without. Counting calories is about as straightforward as it gets and MFP has lots of tools and tips to help you find YOUR plan.

As auntiejack wrote:
    Why not do as others have said join a group on here weigh yourself and let us know. and put the money you would have sent on the class in a jar and when you reach a goal buy youself something.

I think this is a brilliant suggestion. With a bit of patience and digging you will find your own posse who will help and encourage you and try and keep you on track. If you feel however, that that's not enough, you can always join WW in the new year?

Good luck!
  • amybooj
    amybooj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As auntiejack wrote:

I think this is a brilliant suggestion. With a bit of patience and digging you will find your own posse who will help and encourage you and try and keep you on track. If you feel however, that that's not enough, you can always join WW in the new year?

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I agree with this personally. I previously did Slimming World as WW points confused me a bit, I lost just over 2 stone but due to personal goings on I started to struggle and found as my losses dried up the group became less interested in me which made me even less motivated :frown: having said that, i know people who swear by WW and have had great losses on it. I've been on MFP for 5 days, and lost 2lb, my group money from SW, plus an extra £ for every gym visit/lb lost is going in my wedding fund and my hubby is matching what I put in to keep me going. Good luck!
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No don't waste your money. I've done slimming world and weight watchers and didn't lose as much as I've done on mfp.
    I also do a weigh in with my friends every Thursday night. We put £2 in a week and who ever loses the most weight that month wins the money.
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've recently converted from slimming world to MFP, I find MFP so much better not only as its free, but I'm motivated to do exercise as its posted on my news feed what I've done I'm motivated to stay within my calorie allowance each day as that too comes upon on my news feed, MFP motivates me so much more that the money I've spent on slimming world was a waste plus when I get to goal calorie counting and exercise will be the best way for me to maintain.