Classes at on-base gyms

Options
johloz
johloz Posts: 176 Member
Hey, all! I was wondering -- how many of you have a job outside of the home? I'm asking because all the fitness classes at the gyms on post that seem to be catered to women (like Pilates, Yoga, etc) are scheduled during the workday. I have a 9-5 job, which means that most of the classes I would LOVE to go to, I am not able to.

Of course, I understand that I am not the only person in the world, and if this schedule is better for the other people who would like to attend these classes, then I suppose they are at the right time.

So -- do you have a job, or other scheduling conflict with the gym classes that you would like to attend? What are your favorite on-base fitness classes. I would love to know!

Replies

• brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a job but it's only from 6:30 am to 12:30 pm and it doesn't really conflict with the classes, BUT there are so many wives on my base that they only accept the first 50 people that have been waiting in line for an hour, the rest are doomed. Zumba is the busiest class but that's my favorite.
  • kaserz
    kaserz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are there any other bases near you? The base my husband is attached to here has zumba during the day but there's another local base that offers it later in the early evening.

I've been wanting to try out zumba but I couldn't find the gym (was given bad directions) last week and now I've developed some dizziness/balance issues and have to wait.

I wonder if you could convince the gym to add another zumba class in the evening? Maybe there's a way you could contact the zumba instructor to try to get them on board...I'm sure there's many other women wanting evening zumba too!
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Our base gym has tae-bo and just added belly dancing after work hours but all of the others are during the day. When I first saw the schedule I told my husband I forgot this was the 1940's and I was supposed to stay at home and somehow pay off my student loans and live on just his paycheck. I just don't do the classes. I've gone to tae boe a couple of times but even it is right at 5:00 so i can only make it if I leave work at 4 which for me is doable but not for everyone.
  • mstissa02
    mstissa02 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-5 job, but the navy base where were are located have a turbokick class on Mondays and Wednesday at 6 P.M. Since the holidays are coming up as well as stand down, the classes are going to be canceled for two weeks. In addition, the schedule is going to change as well. I prefer base classes because they are free and work out with a group of people.
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Our classes are not free....only $2 bucks per class, but it is a pain for me to drive on to post all of the time. The rooms they have are huge so they don't turn anyone away either. Wish they had child care though....