Grocery list activity

Hey guys here is an activity i would like you to do.

Post a balanced grocery list for this up coming week. Include the prices of each item and tell me what food group each item falls into. Then we will go through and see if there are any items that we can replace with something more affordable or nutrient dense.
Please post this by saturday.
Let me know if you need help. :) have a great week!

Replies

• Hey Tiffany! Here are my grocery lists from last week and from today:

LAST WEEK:

VEGETABLES
    3 frozen vegetables, 12 oz. package - $3
    Organic spinach (prepackaged) - $3.50
    Organic red bell pepper - $2
    Organic whole carrots - $1
    Cucumber - $2
    Raw sweet potato - $1
    Vegetables Total - $12.50

FRUITS
    Organic Bananas - $2.50
    Strawberries - $3
    Kiwi, 4 ea. - $2.50
    Fruit Total: - $8

NUTS, NUT BUTTERS, AND GRAINS
    Whole-grain bread - $3.50
    Oatmeal - $4
    Almonds, roasted and salted - $6
    Peanut butter, 1 lb - $6
    Nuts and Grains Total: - $19.50

OTHER
    Soy and Almond Milk - $7
    3 cans of beans - $4
    3 cans of vegan soup - $10
    Hummus - $4
    3 frozen meals - $10
    Other Total: $35

Overall Total: $75.00

THIS WEEK:

VEGETABLES
    Fresh Spinach or Greens, 12 oz. - $6
    Red bell pepper - $2
    Organic carrots - $1
    Squash - $3
    Total: $12

FRUITS
    Organic Bananas - $2
    Strawberries - $3
    Pears - $3
    Total - $8

NUTS, NUT BUTTERS, AND GRAINS
    Whole-grain bread - $3.50
    Total: $3.50

OTHER
    Soy and Almond Milks - $7
    Dried beans, 1 lb - $1.50
    Hummus - $4.50
    Total: $13

Overall Total: $36.50

Whoo hoo! This is a pretty drastic cut. A LOT of my costs came from foods in the "Other" section. However, I won't be eating any less -- I still have lots of leftover food (canned soup, oatmeal, fruit, etc.) to get me through the week. What do you think?
  • This is awesome! Great Job! Great balance between the different categories. Its great to see your price cut too! It makes a big difference when you go from pre packaged foods (Canned beans) to bulk foods (Bagged beans). It does take a little more time to prepare but I think its worth the savings! Also, what type of oatmeal are you getting? Just wondering.

You did a great job but I have a challenge for you to help lower your cost even more and have a little fun!

Here is your challenge: We talked a bit about this:

Try to make your own hummus. It will be a bigger investment at first but in the long run it will save you some money. (Also, its allot of fun to try and make your favorite hummus.) So try it out. I will be posting a discussion board topic about recipes and I think this would be a good one for you. (So I suggest using it!) :)

Great Job again! Also, I will bring you the coconut oil tomorrow!
  • All right! See you tomorrow! I'll let you know when I'm at the Rec Center to pick up the coconut oil.

I like the idea for the hummus. My mom has tried it before, so she and I can work together on it when I go home in a few weeks.

I eat Kroger Old-Fashioned Oats. I microwave it with either soy or almond milk nearly every morning. It's GREAT with cinnamon and strawberries.

See ya!