IS WORKING OUT, WORKING OUT FOR US?

Options
I work out just about every day (6 - 7 days a week) for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. A lot of times I'm the only black woman there and there's very few black men there as well. I can count on 1 hand how many black women I've seen there since I joined a few months ago. I just hope we get our health on our minds and make a move! I have friends that SAY they wanna loose but still drinking sodas every day! :noway: I'm no fitness guru but at least I'm trying. I don't want my organs to stop working for me because I didn't do enough to keep them healthier; that's ridiculous. I am so so proud of me! I've lost 10 lbs since working out and let me tell you..it's not easy deciding to go to the gym everyday but I push myself to go E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y! It has become a habit for me now because when I don't go workout, I feel bad..like I really should go, if only for 20 minutes. 2 of the women I see at the gym smile at me and I smile back, like some unspoken code of approval. I'm proud of them, I hope their proud of me! ~~When you know better you do better -Maya Angelou

Replies

• thickmadame80
    thickmadame80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel you totally with this post. Keep up the good work.
  • loosegoose47
    Options
    don't feel like going today..but..I GUESS I'LL GO :indifferent:
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh so true! I have no idea why fitness isn't apart of our culture as is others. Quite honestly, when we change our diet and exercise practices we see changes faster in my opinion. No amount of booty curve will have me going back to my old habits. What's more important, as you point out, is the damage we can't see on the inside. Our blood vessels and organs are screaming for attention. Unfortunately they are only taken seriously once the damage is done. Stay strong! Keep it up. You never know who may become motivated from watching you!
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    YES....... I need to get back on track... I was in the gym 3 to 4 times a day but since it started getting cold. I lost my energy.. It's time for me to FOCUS...:yawn:
  • locstar22
    Options
    I agree with you! I use FB and 'check in' every time I go to the gym or use my treadmill..I also post about healthy topics/ pictures of healthy food etc. and respond to other status' talking about healthy things. I know for a fact that I've motivated some of my friends to start or continue their journey. So, we just have to continue leading by example and share our stories whenever we can.
  • fedgal
    fedgal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for your weight loss and motivation in regular gym attendance. I think our lack of gym attendance is "hair issues." I remember years ago when I attended the gym at work on a daily basis, they only talk was about my hair. Never a compliment about my obvious weight loss. Does anyone recall the negative comments about hairstyle of Olympic Gold Medalist, Gabby Douglas?

Fortunately I have an elliptical and a recumbent bike at home so this helps. Also, I have to walk slightly more than a mile from the train station to my jobsite.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Black people in general deal with more issues than non-blacks. Someone mentioned hair as being one. I know its a challenge to willingly sweat out a fresh $60 do. (not that I have this problem) Also, there are a lot of single mothers out there raising kids, working multiple jobs, and if they are like me a gym membership is simply not feasible. I know a lot of black males who manage to stay in shape by hooping or plain old manual labor....

Sure none of these things are valid reasons for not taking care of ones self. And of course I'm not saying that there aren't many people who are fit and in shape despite all of these issues, but for some its enough to keep them from a healthier way of life.
  • Applegondi69
    Applegondi69 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, although I am implementing WORKING OUT into the DAILY schedule like an appointment. Seeing results have made me more conscious of what I will continue to do.:)
  • amitchell039
    amitchell039 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. Keep up the good work!
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do we become a product of enviornment or is our enviornment a product of our behavior? When I went to college it was strange for me to see so many people running, going to the gym and being conscious of food choices. I went to a predominently white college and I wanted no parts of it. What's crazy is that in high school I was so physically active without truely realizing it. I was a cheerleader, played softball, volleyball and worked a part time job.
    Back in Philly, I rarely see people out running or exercising and get the strange looks when I'm running up the street at 5am. Hopefully, with out pressing to work out where ever we may be, we can inspire others to do the same...making our enviornment a product of our behavior!

30766175.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • cmadison381
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I think that people have other options besides the gym for losing weight. Not everyone can afford gym memberships. Some people use videos, parks, or school jogging tracks to get their workout in. Quite frankly, looking at the mass of people at the gym and some of their un-sanitary habits, I too am thinking about using the outdoors as a fitness resource. In addition, you may see less people in the gym with the rise of Zumba and other cardio classes that are now offered outside of gym facilities. We tend to give ourselves a lot of flack about exercise, but I think if we are doing things as simple as walking for 30 minutes a day, its a start. We must first start with a serious look at what we eat, how we prepare it and when we consume it. Keep up the good work.
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know I personally used my hair as an excuse not to work out...just didn't want to sweat out that 'do. In July, though, I said the heck with it because I was at my highest weight and just uncomfortable in my own skin. I had also began transitioning to natural back in March and was using weaves and braids to grow out my hair before I did the big chop. That made it a bit easier to workout and not worry about my hair and now that I did the big chop (yay!) I'm even more focused on exercising and less focused on my hair. It seems crazy now to value hair over something as important as my health!
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym for women of color, appropriately called Brick House Fitness. They have Zumba, CrossFit, urban line dance, pole fitness, salsa, belly dancing, bootcamp and other interesting classes. It's more expensive then a regular gym, but I appreciate the diverse community of women on their own fitness journeys. If I were an entrepreneur, I'd open gyms like these around the country.

But like cmadison381 said, I think that some of us can first start with walking around the block, taking the stairs and parking at the far end. My mother lost about 20 pounds just doing the Wii Fit. Now she's a crazy competitor and can kill anyone in Wii boxing or tennis.
  • Strawberryswing33
    Options
    I workout everyday. I hated it at first, but it's gotten easier. I think women of color are often caught up in the cultural aspects of it all too. I have friends who tell me, "Girl you look good, you don't need to lose no weight." They say this as I was experiencing high blood pressure and could barely walk outside for five minutes without getting winded. We have to shut all that out and just be healthy. I get jokes about what I'm eating too. I eat mostly vegetarian meals like Morningstar Farms veggie burgers etc. and everyone looks at me cross eyed. And guys are no better with all this "I like a girl to be thick. You better not lose your butt, etc." Um...what about diabetes, cholesterol etc.? We've got to learn to shut that all out and be fit.
  • I have a few friends, which feel intimidated, that because they are unhealthy that they don’t want to be made fun of by going to the gym, I always tell them if you’re going to the Gym, no one will laugh, they will be like here is person that is taking their health seriously. I hear all the time, I have too much to do, or I don’t want to sweat, my hair will get nappy, I like to eat, so it doesn’t do me any good and/or I don’t want to lose my curves. It’s like a losing battle, something major has to happen to us, before we even look to being healthy, I, myself don’t want to take medications because I’m too fat, that’s something I created. I have known a person who has died from being obese and that was a heartbreaker. Not too be judgmental or bias, if we can spend billions, yes billions on black hair supplies, we can spend billions to get awareness out, and healthy programs to combat obesity in our neighborhoods. It all sounds good, but in reality people will have to want it for themselves. There are a lot of people who are stuck in their ways as far as food choices are concerned, don’t want to forego taste. The one thing I dislike to see is an obese mother and children, especially little girls that are obese too. That hurts because that child is innocent to what is happening to them, and the mother either isn’t aware of food choices, or could care less.
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just like there is a "Take your loved one to the doctor" day, we should have a "take your loved one to the gym" day.