CTL Newbie

Options
Dot2Dots
Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
Hello all ! I am new to the Carb-cycling process. I heard about CTL and decided to see if my local library had the book, they did and I put my name on the hold list ( I was #5)...well, it finally came up for grabs and I picked it up on Friday. I read through it very quickly and decided to start yesterday.

I have been on MFP for since May. I lost weight from the start then came to a standstill (plateau) for almost 6-8 weeks. (I also follow the Eat More to Weigh Less & The Road Map approach) . I still felt like I needed to change something else, my routine (food & exercise) was basically the same day in and out. I read somewhere else about carb-cycling & thought this might work for me.

So, here I am. I would love to have some CTL friends to root on and support as well !

Dot

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's nice to shake things up a bit. :) Welcome to the group!
  • ChristinePechulis
    ChristinePechulis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started this week myself. Still trying to figure it all out ..... it seems very manageable so far, though!
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have had the book for several months and I have never sat down to try to figure it all out but I think I'm ready.

If anyone has any advise on how to make a weekly menu I would be greatful for advise. This seems to be the hardest thing for me to figure out with this and I'm probably makeing it way more complicated that it needs to be.

I'm very excited to get going on this, I have a mini vacation planned for the beginning of April (2013) and I would like to lose some serious weight. I need to lose over 50lbs.
  • SlimmerJolea
    SlimmerJolea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am new to the CTL also. I am actually starting today and do not know at all what I am doing. I am getting off work in a few minutes armed with all the reading material and I will be making my menu and store list and starting fresh in the morning.
    I am very happy to have found this with the help of my friend Susan. I really want to lose this unattractive weight I have gained.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any advise on how to make a weekly menu I would be greatful for advise. This seems to be the hardest thing for me to figure out with this and I'm probably makeing it way more complicated that it needs to be.

First off, re-read the chapter on the 7 day carb cycle (#7), print off the "smart foods guide" found on Chris's website. I posted a link to this here in the discussion group. Then, figure out what days will be your low carb days, and what ones will be your high carb days. Get several pages of notebook paper, and divide each one into 5 meals.

Take a look at your calendar for the week (or 2) and determine if you'll have any events that will make eating self prepared meals a challenge. I'd put those in your calendar first. Then you'll think about breakfast. To start things off easy I would suggest that for your first two weeks you pick only one or two different breakfasts that you'll have every day. I've had the exact same breakfast almost every morning since July... and I thought I'd get bored with it, but quite frankly it has helped me not have to "think" about what I'm going to eat until I've fully awake.

Then you'll only have 4 meals a day to think through. Look through the recipies in the back of the book. You're first week (or 2) I'd plan to eat at least 2-3 of your meals from one of Chris's recipies. Plan these out next. Then, fill in the blanks with recipies or snacks from your regular eating habits (that follow the CTL plan).

For example:

Sunday: Funday
    B: Morning shake: 1 serving protein shake, 1/2 c milk (almond milk makes me feel funny), 1 c frozen fruit, 1 c water
    L: Grilled Cheese w/ turkey sandwich, tomato basil soup
    D: Potluck at church.
    Snack 1: Running errands, so take 1 string cheese, 1 oz of turkey jerky, and a serving of carrots
    Snack 2: ice cream & popcorn with a big ol mug of tea. Maybe some turkey breast & some steamed veggies depending on what I had at the potluck.

Monday: LC
    B: Morning Shake
    L: Sunshine Omelet p 184
    D: Lemon-Pepper Tilapia p. 183
    S1: Caprise Salad (Tomato slices, 1 string cheese, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and low sodium turkey breast
    S2: Chocolate-Peanutbutter shake p. 181 (w/ coconut milk... almond milk makes me feel funny)

Tuesday HC
    L: Turkey Veggie Medley p 175
    D: Steak & potatoes p. 177
    S1: Greek Yogurt & Bananas p. 173 (or subsitute any other fresh fruit)
    S2: Sunshine Omelet, subing a whole grain/sprouted piece of toast (or 2) for the cheese

Wednesday LC
    L: Chicken Cobb Salad p. 182
    D: Homemade chili, pulling my serving out before adding the beans. Eat w/ cheese sprinkled on top & a side salad.
    S1: Running around to all the appts: Celery, no salt added peanut butter, low-sodium turkey breast lunch meat
    S2: Cottage cheese on the border p. 180 (I don't care for avocado, so sub cheddar cheese)

Thurs HC
    B: Breakfast shake
    L: Chicken Stir-fry p. 176
    D: Neighborhood potluck... don't know what'll be served, bring a side salad because we're usually lacking there.
    S1: Greek Yogurt w/ homemade cinnamon applesauce, and celery/carrots
    S2: Chocolate Strawberry shake, like the breakfast shake, but w/ chocolate shakemix

Fri LC
    D: Chicken stir-fry p 176, subbing cheese for the rice. (Don't knock it until you've tried it!)
    S1: Sunshine Omlet
    S2: Chocolate pb shake

Sat HC
    Weigh today!
    L: Spicy Tex-mex turkey p 179
    D: Spaghetti & meatballs (my recipe)
    S1: Tuna sandwich p 179
    S2: Chocolate Strawberry shake

Then, when you are all done, make your grocery list based on what you'll need. :)

After you've been on the plan for a while, you'll decide which things you like making more often, and you'll get into a routine. My snacks are almost always the same, because I like them. I'll have an omlet several times a week on LC or HC days, and same with the stir-fry. They are easy, fun, look like a ton of food, and are pretty on my plate. :)

Hope this helps!
  • Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options

First off, re-read the chapter on the 7 day carb cycle (#7), print off the "smart foods guide" found on Chris's website. I posted a link to this here in the discussion group. Then, figure out what days will be your low carb days, and what ones will be your high carb days. Get several pages of notebook paper, and divide each one into 5 meals.

Take a look at your calendar for the week (or 2) and determine if you'll have any events that will make eating self prepared meals a challenge. I'd put those in your calendar first. Then you'll think about breakfast. To start things off easy I would suggest that for your first two weeks you pick only one or two different breakfasts that you'll have every day. I've had the exact same breakfast almost every morning since July... and I thought I'd get bored with it, but quite frankly it has helped me not have to "think" about what I'm going to eat until I've fully awake.

Then you'll only have 4 meals a day to think through. Look through the recipies in the back of the book. You're first week (or 2) I'd plan to eat at least 2-3 of your meals from one of Chris's recipies. Plan these out next. Then, fill in the blanks with recipies or snacks from your regular eating habits (that follow the CTL plan).

For example:

Sunday: Funday
    B: Morning shake: 1 serving protein shake, 1/2 c milk (almond milk makes me feel funny), 1 c frozen fruit, 1 c water
    L: Grilled Cheese w/ turkey sandwich, tomato basil soup
    D: Potluck at church.
    Snack 1: Running errands, so take 1 string cheese, 1 oz of turkey jerky, and a serving of carrots
    Snack 2: ice cream & popcorn with a big ol mug of tea. Maybe some turkey breast & some steamed veggies depending on what I had at the potluck.

Monday: LC
    L: Sunshine Omelet p 184
    D: Lemon-Pepper Tilapia p. 183
    S1: Caprise Salad (Tomato slices, 1 string cheese, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and low sodium turkey breast
    S2: Chocolate-Peanutbutter shake p. 181 (w/ coconut milk... almond milk makes me feel funny)

Tuesday HC
    L: Turkey Veggie Medley p 175
    D: Steak & potatoes p. 177
    S1: Greek Yogurt & Bananas p. 173 (or subsitute any other fresh fruit)
    S2: Sunshine Omelet, subing a whole grain/sprouted piece of toast (or 2) for the cheese

Wednesday LC
    D: Homemade chili, pulling my serving out before adding the beans. Eat w/ cheese sprinkled on top & a side salad.
    S1: Running around to all the appts: Celery, no salt added peanut butter, low-sodium turkey breast lunch meat
    S2: Cottage cheese on the border p. 180 (I don't care for avocado, so sub cheddar cheese)

Thurs HC
    L: Chicken Stir-fry p. 176
    D: Neighborhood potluck... don't know what'll be served, bring a side salad because we're usually lacking there.
    S1: Greek Yogurt w/ homemade cinnamon applesauce, and celery/carrots
    S2: Chocolate Strawberry shake, like the breakfast shake, but w/ chocolate shakemix

Fri LC
    D: Chicken stir-fry p 176, subbing cheese for the rice. (Don't knock it until you've tried it!)
    S1: Sunshine Omlet
    S2: Chocolate pb shake

Sat HC
    Weigh today!
    L: Spicy Tex-mex turkey p 179
    D: Spaghetti & meatballs (my recipe)
    S1: Tuna sandwich p 179
    S2: Chocolate Strawberry shake

Then, when you are all done, make your grocery list based on what you'll need. :)

After you've been on the plan for a while, you'll decide which things you like making more often, and you'll get into a routine. My snacks are almost always the same, because I like them. I'll have an omlet several times a week on LC or HC days, and same with the stir-fry. They are easy, fun, look like a ton of food, and are pretty on my plate. :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting this wonderful information !!
  • Ssumner2001
    Options
    Yes thank you for all the information, I managed to make my menu for the week and got my groceries. So no excuses. I'm ready to go.
  • SlimmerJolea
    SlimmerJolea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did get groceries and the things I thought I already had so that I did not rebuy, my children ate. Off to the store again.
    Ordered my book and a make over book also. i am so excited to plan the new Jo.
  • Ssumner2001
    Options
    What make over book did you get?