Choosing an ortho when injured

Options
nermal6873
nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
So, according to Dr. Google there's a pretty good possibility that I have a stress fracture in my foot, which means I need to see a real doctor. I'm looking at the website for our local orthopaedic clinic where they have all of the doctor's specialties listed. I'm trying to figure out if I should try to see someone who specializes in foot and ankle or sports medicine? I realize that they may choose for me when I call on Monday, but was wondering which one you all would go for. Thanks!

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear your injured. I think the foot doc would be the best. Make sure they know you are a runner and they u don't intend to stop running (of course after you heal up!)

Good Luck!
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Hi I'm a med student who is currently working with an orthopaedic surgeon. Having heard other docs tell me to just stop running when I've been injured in the past vs. hearing what this doctor tells his patients. You want to find someone who either is an athlete themself or who commonly works with athletes. That's the question you want to ask the receptionist.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your injury :(. I agree with this
    Hi I'm a med student who is currently working with an orthopaedic surgeon. Having heard other docs tell me to just stop running when I've been injured in the past vs. hearing what this doctor tells his patients. You want to find someone who either is an athlete themself or who commonly works with athletes. That's the question you want to ask the receptionist.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I'll definitely be sure to ask if they specifically work with athletes when I call. I hadn't thought about it that way.
  • twentyquestions
    twentyquestions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would actually just go with "first available appointment" so you can get in as soon as possible and get a bone scan or MRI to diagnose the stress fracture (or lack of stress fracture). If you have a stress fracture, the treatment is pretty straight forward - no running for at least 6 weeks. The location of the fracture will determine which cross training you can/should do, and pain will be your guide for when to restart running. So in many ways, it really doesn't matter a whole lot who does the diagnosis. You just need to know what you're dealing with.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I'd be sure to find a doctor who runs or is at least an athlete of some sort or treats athletes. I am recovering from a fractured tibial sesamoid and my ortho is a runner who understands my insanity. She knew how to talk to me in a way that made me understand that I HAD to be patient.

It is very important to find out what it is. If it is a stress fracture, it might not show on xray so if it doesn't, I'd suggest you ask for a bone scan.

Best of luck and I'm thinking of you.

Cyndi