training plan advice - new here :)

Options
snarky
snarky Posts: 263 Member
Hey everyone!

I just was kickin' around on http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ and checking out their beginning programs. Anyone have experience with this program?

I am looking at an 18 week program for a Sprint - with training equal across sports. I have a base built up in running already, but I am starting at close to zero in biking and swimming. I was thinking about adjusting the training in the running to fit my current level - keeping the spirit of the training just bumping up the numbers a bit (starting at 4 miles rather than 1.5)

Any thoughts? Better suggestions?

Replies

• Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My training for my first 3 half-Ironmans was structured around there free and purchased plans. I recommend putting down the money and printing off any number of there plans. They are great references for you and friends.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with training programs, but eep!! I didn't know you were doing a tri! I'm so excited for you :)
  • snarky
    Options
    Maddy, how did you do it without a training plan? oh wait, I forgot you're bada$$ :)
  • snarky
    Options
    Thanks Drudoo! It seems like a really good site. A little overwhelming at first tho'. I tend to think that anything new and worth pursuing usually is, so it must be the right place.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This summer I did 4 sprints, 1 international, and 1 "sprinternational" (distance in between sprint and international) and didn't use a plan. Several times I tried to, but none really fit for me. I talked to several people I know who do triathlons, and they all suggested just doing all three sports and doing bricks. The best piece of advice I got was to ALWAYS run after a bike ride. I try to run each time I bike, though sometimes that is literally just a one mile loop around my house. Just that effort really helped me with teaching my body to move from bike to run more often. For me, I am weakest in the bike. Right now I am training for a 70.3, so I am trying to bike more. I find that a challenge since it is getting cold, but it is my goal. I am not really following a plan, but again, I try to get in enough of all three. Most weeks I swim before work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I run on Monday, Wed, and Friday after work (Wednesday with a group). I bike on Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes through in weights or a class at the gym. Saturday is my long run day (with my marathon training group). Sunday is my long bike day. It's not a plan, but it is working for me. Just my 2 cents!
  • snarky
    Options
    Thanks Vtate!

I like the idea of always adding a mile after the bike ride, regardless of what plan I am doing. I was interested in following a plan mostly because there is a disconnect between what I think I can do and what my body can actually do. and I don't want to hurt myself. :) I found that the C25K program helped me through this issue with running. I was looking for something similar until I figure out what I am doing.

Good luck on your 70.3!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    BT's free plans are great if you goal is to complete the race. If you're looking to compete look at their paid plans or the plans for sale at Training Peaks.
  • snarky
    Options
    oooh! great advice Scott. I will file that away for the NEXT race. This one I suspect finishing will be enough of a challenge.
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Next stop: COACH!
  • scott091501
    Options

Best decision I ever made.
  • vtate75
    Options

That I want!!!...but cannot afford. :(
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    There are some great books out there that I used my first tri. Slow fat triathlete and your first triathlon. I combined plans and then after four weeks was so bored that I just started doing my own thing. I was new to cycling so I rod three times a week and one of those was the distance. I grew up swimming and no fear of open water so I just logged some lap time in the pool the first timeand the second one I would just go to the lake and by week three was swimming the distance and just worked on form which brought up my speed. It's weird not really kicking. I generally rode after a swim because I was out at the course so :). My run is so damn slow so I'll work on that this year. Best part was the weight program I found free online called 12 weight training exercises for triathletes. I really feel that helped a ton this past one. Best of luck and welcome to this crazy addicting world called triathlon
  • scott091501
    Options

That I want!!!...but cannot afford. :(

Mine is good and free. Yes I know how lucky I am.
  • snarky
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful tips. Not sure about a coach just yet. Do you think it would be helpful even if my goal is really just finishing and not being awesome... well, finishing would be awesome for me so strike THAT part, but do you know what I mean?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You can finish without a coach I've done two without and got faster. Just do it and feel free to friend. I'm going to do three next season.
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful tips. Not sure about a coach just yet. Do you think it would be helpful even if my goal is really just finishing and not being awesome... well, finishing would be awesome for me so strike THAT part, but do you know what I mean?
    Besides technical knowledge, besides accountability, besides MPOO (the motivating presence of others), coaches let you not think about all the kind of things you are thinking about now.

Get a coach then try and be 100% compliant with his or her workouts. The most I have had to think was recently when coach wanted to know what events were a priority for next year.
  • vtate75
    Options
    Besides technical knowledge, besides accountability, besides MPOO (the motivating presence of others), coaches let you not think about all the kind of things you are thinking about now.

Get a coach then try and be 100% compliant with his or her workouts. The most I have had to think was recently when coach wanted to know what events were a priority for next year.

I think the coach thing all depends on your financial situation. My husband and I are both teachers and we have four kids, so the finances do not allow for a coach...they barely allow for a bike and gym membership! If you have the money, I am sure a coach is wonderful, but triathlons are expensive in general, so if you do not, don't stress it.
  • snarky
    Options
    I think that I would love a coach. I respond well to "peer pressure." I am certain that it would help my performance as well as help me through the confusion of figuring out what I am doing. Unfortunately, finances are a little tight right now, so it is not an immediate option. :frown:

I appreciate the input, tho' Thanks!

I love that term "motivating presence of others"
  • scott091501
    Options
    I think that I would love a coach. I respond well to "peer pressure." I am certain that it would help my performance as well as help me through the confusion of figuring out what I am doing. Unfortunately, finances are a little tight right now, so it is not an immediate option. :frown:

I appreciate the input, tho' Thanks!

I love that term "motivating presence of others"

In that case is there a local tri club you can join? I joined one about a year ago and it's where I found the core group of folks I train with.
  • snarky
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I just found a MEETUP group that is forming in the next town over. They have a run scheduled at the beginning of January. Looks like there are quite a few people with previous races in the group. It should help. THANK YOU!!!