Newbie: Very overweight --is SL okay for me?

Options
jeenak
jeenak Posts: 21 Member
Hi all!

I've spent some time reading through the posts, and this seems like a great community!

I am a short (5'4) and very overweight woman (~150lbs to lose). I was doing a daily 5k for about a year, and before that I was working out with a trainer before at home, lifting dumbbells, doing ball squats, and I loved it. But I think I'm ready for a bigger challenge. I want to lose a lot of weight, obviously, but everything I've been reading seems to point out that lifting heavy is the way to go. I'm ready to join a gym with a squat cage and olympic bars, and everything. I'm even willing to invest in a trainer again to help me get my form right.

I found Mehdi's StrongLifts, and as you guys know --it's very geared towards guys. It seems inconceivable to me that I could increase what I'm lifting by 5x every session! That seems insane to me!

Also, another really dumb question--he emphasizes that you cannot miss a single week during the 12-week program. I have a holiday vacation planned, where I won't have access to a gym for a week. Should I wait to start after I get back, or can I just skip a week? (He seems adamant about not skipping even a single week.) And if I can skip--do I just repeat my last sets when I get back?

I love the Excel sheet and that you have very clear cut 'assignments' for each session. I love that there's an app. And I love that it seems like the exercises themselves are very straight-forward, if challenging.

To boil it down: Would you recommend this program for a woman who has 100+ lbs to lose? Any other tips? I'm sort of scared, but so curious at the same time!

Thank you for any help!!

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    i don't see any reason you can't start now.

you can miss a week. when you come back deload 5-10 lbs your fist session back, and you will be back where you were in no time.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Go for it! If you're worried about the 5lb increments you can buy fractional plates on amazon and increase by 2.5 each time though you may not need them right away. Good luck!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't start, either. The benefits of maintaining lean body mass will start right away. Bonus.

Also, take your break. Life happens. Sometimes we get sick, kids (for those of us who have 'em) get sick, whatever. If you miss a workout, or a week, you just start back again when you can. If you have to deload slightly (decrease the amount you were lifting) it's not so bad. He's just being gung-ho 'cause it's his program and he wants to be all rah rah rah about it. Don't worry about it.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Just get to it!!
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

Jackie
  • jeenak
    Options
    Thank you guys SO much for the feedback and encouragement!!

After being totally inspired by your posts here, I went to the gym, met with a trainer to talk about my objectives with SL (he's totally on board!), and will be starting with him on Monday.

The awesome thing about my gym is that it has the squat cage and all the things I need--but they even have fractional weights!! I was talking to the owner who said, "I've got women who come here to work out--I know they need those!"

I'll post back as I go. I'm both terrified and really excited!! So happy to meet you all!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys SO much for the feedback and encouragement!!

After being totally inspired by your posts here, I went to the gym, met with a trainer to talk about my objectives with SL (he's totally on board!), and will be starting with him on Monday.

The awesome thing about my gym is that it has the squat cage and all the things I need--but they even have fractional weights!! I was talking to the owner who said, "I've got women who come here to work out--I know they need those!"

I'll post back as I go. I'm both terrified and really excited!! So happy to meet you all!

I am jealous that you have such a good gym!

good luck and keep us updated on the check in thread!
  • jeenak
    Options
    I feel lucky to have it! And I will definitely post on the check in threads! Thanks!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! That's so great that your trainer sounds good :smile:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    If you feel fit and strong enough to do something then go for it...a lot of it is confidence as well...best of luck and have fun, it is so satisfying getting stronger...I find it a better focus than weight/fat loss, keeps me motivated...
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    And one thing to remember about Mendhi...he's somewhat of a douchenozzle. Tameko's breakdown of SL is fabulous reading, and Mark Rippetoe's YouTube vids on form have been really helpful to me. It's great that you have a supportive trainer...and it sounds like the gym might order some fractionals for you and the other ladies that lift. Whoop!