Half Marathoner Racers

I have finished 14 half marathons, done several full marathons and one ultra. I am taking a step back to eat better ,drop about 20 lbs, and create a level of base running to get back up to marathon training. Anyone working on a similar journey, let's go!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Pretty similar, although I am marathoned out (11) and more focused on halves. Tryin to eat better and drop 15. First 10 are gone, next 5 t hardest :)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    I am doing my first half this weekend (technically 2nd but the other one was almost 3 years ago) and hoping for many, many more!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Running my 2nd half (Jan 5. Mississippi Blues). Planning my first full next fall.
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Last half was last March, did a 10 mile in October, and after recently having a baby I want to get back to my previous speeds with some 5 and 10ks. Next half is in March!! You can see my races and times on my profile!! I might consider a full when a half isn't challenging any more, but currently that is enough for me:)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I just finished a marathon three weeks ago and have moved to a 12 to 20 week base building period. Essentially it is high mileage at low heartrate a la the Maffetone method.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Did my first half after a recent injury a couple of months ago. Looking for a better time in two weeks!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I LOVE racing halfs, my favorite distance for sure! I have a love/hate relationship with marathons, after 25 of them, the jury is still out..

I will say the best thing that ever happen to my half marathons was marathon training. Racing a half off a long run of 18 or 20 is much better (for me) than doing it off of 11 or 13.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    I'm working through some injuries at the moment so I'll be perfecting my half until I'm full ready again...wouldn't mind dropping a few in the process.
  • I've done 7 halfs and have 8 through 10 scheduled this coming spring. One full in the books and the second will be this fall (made it to 3 weeks before the second full and broke my foot the last long run before taper)....very similar journey sort of since I have to step back rebuild and regain my endurance again and drop the weight I gained over my injury period as well as continue to the weight loss I was doing pretty well on.

I'm in!

Cyndi
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I will say the best thing that ever happen to my half marathons was marathon training. Racing a half off a long run of 18 or 20 is much better (for me) than doing it off of 11 or 13.

Ditto to this! I ran my half-marathon PR this past spring when I was in the midst of marathon training.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    I'm with you! I just finished an Ironman and have been doing a strong of 1/2 marathons, marathons, and triathlons. I want to focus on weight loss rather than building endurance.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I try to run two or three half marathons each year. I'll echo what others have said. Once I started doing long runs of 12 to 16 miles and training for a marathon, the half marathon became just another race. I've seen dramatic improvements in my HM times over the last 3 years because of marathon training from 1:37:09 in 09/09 to 1:28:05 this past September.
  • You have summed up my relationship with the marathon...it is love/hate. I never thought of it that way, thanks!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    I try to run two or three half marathons each year. I'll echo what others have said. Once I started doing long runs of 12 to 16 miles and training for a marathon, the half marathon became just another race. I've seen dramatic improvements in my HM times over the last 3 years because of marathon training from 1:37:09 in 09/09 to 1:28:05 this past September.

thats a great time - id be happy to do 2hrs!
  • zenmama08
    zenmama08 Posts: 1 Member
    I've done 3 half marathons, my first was 5/2011. My best time thus far is 1:45! I developed a stress fracture during my full marathon training this past summer. I am currently MIA from running after finishing the marathon (Cleveland) and not realizing I actually had a fracture. So I am HOPING to be up and running by spring (I am taking so much time off because I returned to running too soon and re-injured, UGH). My birthday is April 28th and there is a half marathon in town (Glass City in Toledo, OH) that I really want to PR in!!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Interesting thread. I love halfs. I have only done one full marathon and it is so long. Might never do another. I train under 10 miles for the halfs so the race is a great extension. Running an hour or more at dawn is spiritual and gets my day set.

10.5 minutes per mile is about where I am stuck, but at 68 I figure I won't get too much faster.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Running my FIRST half this February :) so excited!
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    I am right there with you. I've done a few full marathons, got injured and am now prepping for three half marathons within the first six months of 2013. Then probably a marathon at the end of the year (Marine Corps or Denver RnR marathon). Hoping that by focusing on the shorter distances during the winter, I don't break my body down on the treadmill like I have in the years past.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    I signed up for my first 1/2 in June, the Rock'n'roll in Seattle. There is also a local one in the end of March I'm going to run, that will be a benchmark on my progress so far. I'm only up to 8 miles, so I have a long way to go.
  • You all are so inspiring!!!! I just did my first 10k in november and i am training for my first half - rock n roll in st.louis Oct. 27th. :))) Please add me if ya wish! Happy running!:)