Starting Weights

Options
vmarie74
vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
I am so glad I found this thread - been wondering how to add weights without hiring a trainer. Thanks for all the valuable information. I do kickboxing 3-4 times a week and really wanted to add weights the other 3 - so I'll do 3/3 and one full rest day.

I haven't really ever lifted weights routinely - used to go to 24 fitness 10 years ago and dink around on their machines. My community has it's own little fitness center - I think I may have to use machines for some of these.

Where would you start on weights? I have about 54 pounds to lose - and I have a HUGE goal to lose as much as I can by April 1st.

Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Read tameko's summary of stronglifts, as that is the focus here, although a small fitness center is not likely to have the equipment you need for this program..

As to where to start.. . . .Pick up something. Can you pick it up 100 times? Then it's too light. 15 times? probably still too light. If you want to lift "heavy" pick up something else. If you can pick it up, but go, "OMG, I don't think I could pick that up again" maybe a little too heavy. Drop 5 lbs off of that and start there.
  • vmarie74
    Options
    Thanks - I have to make do with what is at the rec center. Probably will be a smith machine, if I remember - until I can get in the groove and get my own.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    One thing about the Smith machine is that the bar doesn't weigh anything, so when method says start with the bar, you need to put some weight on it. the regular bar weighs 45 lbs.
  • vmarie74
    Options
    I was wondering about that - thanks!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    One thing about the Smith machine is that the bar doesn't weigh anything, so when method says start with the bar, you need to put some weight on it. the regular bar weighs 45 lbs.

Depends on the smith machine. Mine isn't counter-weighted. The bar weighs 45 lbs.