Cold Climates: When do you put away your bike?

Options
2»

Replies

• indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was late getting started this year due to working abroad and it was my devout intention not to stop cycling this year just because its a bit cold outside. It is costing a bit though. It started in October, when the clocks went back, that I spent a bit on lights ( I ride unlit roads). Then I got some mud-guards for the hybrid so I could do rides a bit longer than comfortable on the MTB. It started to get cold then so next was a tights bib...then Roubaix tights bib and thermals, buff etc. Then after coming home with borderline frostbite in the toes from one ride, I got some fleece line MTB boots. I dont like to think how much I am investing but I will cycle. If I could rely on the snow to stay on the ground rather than come and go in 24 hours then I'd even get some studded tyres. Admittedly, its not as much fun as a glorious autumn afternoon cycling across the Dordogne, but I want to stay fit enough so that cycling across the Dordogne is still an option next year.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I am in Hong Kong. The weather is much milder - maybe just a couple of weeks under 40F. I rode little last winter but will keep riding this time. Need to sort out something for my feet though - already putting on shoecover but toes still get really cold & numb...
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What is this "putting the bike away" you speak of?

^^^this!

Editing to say I put it away untilled I'm able to walk again per doctor 's orders

Heh, go look at my pics. Broke my right wrist last week... :sad:
  • DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Up in Scotland, a lot of the roads aren't salted or gritted, and become sheets of ice with a thin layer of powder on top. Way too dangerous for road bikes. Mine's away until we get a thaw, probably about next May!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Up in Scotland, a lot of the roads aren't salted or gritted, and become sheets of ice with a thin layer of powder on top. Way too dangerous for road bikes. Mine's away until we get a thaw, probably about next May!

Where in Scotland? My DH spent 11 months in Aberdeen during his 3rd year of college. Amazing place!
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Washington State here. Bike is always ready...wish I could say the same about myself.
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The bike never goes away. Just switch to a cross bike or mountain and hit the gravel roads.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin ... and I'm planning on biking all winter. Might sit out snowstorms, though.
  • DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Where in Scotland? My DH spent 11 months in Aberdeen during his 3rd year of college. Amazing place!

Actually. not far from Aberdeen, about 35 miles South, near Lunan bay in Angus, just a little North of Arbroath.
    Beautiful countryside for cycling, but not in Winter!
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I plan on riding until there's a significant amount of snow on the ground, and resuming once it's gone :o)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I can't put away my bike because I don't have a car, and I need it to get to school. That means I have to dress warmly. I wear mittens, a windbreaker, and earmuffs. In the rain, I'll wear a hat and waterproof pants, and rain boots.

I cover my bicycle seat with a plastic bag when I'm not using it. Then I don't have to worry about getting a wet butt when riding!
  • TimmyTriedTooHard
    Options
    This is my first winter riding, in NE Ohio - and I'm loving it. I discovered there's really good clothing out there, and you can stay plenty warm right on down to zero degrees. Once the snow hits, I won't ride if it's covered the road, or if it's packed on the side... I'm hopefully getting some lights soon and can't wait to do some night rides to check out Christmas lights on the bike.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    -3 riding to work this morning, i wont put my road bike away until its a thick layer of snow on the road and its too dangerous to ride
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    -3 riding to work this morning, i wont put my road bike away until its a thick layer of snow on the road and its too dangerous to ride

This what I like to hear! :happy:
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Nice! 9F(-12C) on the ride this morning. Put the studded tires on this weekened so I'm ready for for snow and ice.