Rationalizing Between "Meats"

Options
SleepySin
SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
I just came across something on my Facebook page applauding James Cromwell for becoming vegetarian after filming the movie 'Babe', which is great but what disturbed me was someone else's post saying, " I don't eat pork. It's not a religious thing. I just feel pigs are too intelligent to eat. Just like dolphins, dogs, cats, primates, and horses."

I don't understand how people can feel they have the ability to make that distinction between what is "too smart to eat" and what's "not intelligent enough". How would that person justify the treatment of the mentally challenged or those who are in a coma? Technically speaking, the typical level of brain function isn't apparent so should they be on the menu tonight? Obviously not..

It's just frustrating when I read things like this.. does anyone else feel the same? >.<

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah it bugs me too. This is how most people rationalize eating cows, and not dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are cute and cuddly, and are pets. Clearly cows are stupid and just meant to be tortured and eaten! UGH!!!!
  • SleepySin
    Options
    Exactly!! Every specie has made adaptations for their own needs and so much of the existing "intelligence" out there isn't taught to the general public so how would they know who to deem as intelligent? But seriously, if that's how some people think.. it just makes me wonder about their other life choices.. *shudders*

If you've ever come across the TV series "Mutant Planet" (http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/mutant-planet), you can take a peek into the world's of other animals! I love this show!!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree but I have to say that before becoming vegan I used to use the same types of rationalisations that now sound nuts to me. I hope that the rationalisation is the first step on a path towards an awareness and a caring that is impossible to step back from. one doesnt rationalise if one is not thinking and suspecting deep down that what you are doing is not right
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    All the time..saw the same post today actually.

Do people have any idea how intelligent cows are..I doubt it.

But then they will say anything to justify their eating habits and not feel guilty.

My other favorite is when they go on about "humane slaughter" that makes me laugh...the only one who feels better in that case is you...the poor animal ends up slaughtered regardless :(
  • SleepySin
    Options
    All the time..saw the same post today actually.

Do people have any idea how intelligent cows are..I doubt it.

But then they will say anything to justify their eating habits and not feel guilty.

My other favorite is when they go on about "humane slaughter" that makes me laugh...the only one who feels better in that case is you...the poor animal ends up slaughtered regardless :(

Exactly!! I used to do the same when I first stop eating cows and pigs so many years back. I rationalized that chickens and fish were "ok" but the more I thought about it, I came to realize I was just bs-ing myself. A life is a life.

"Humane slaughter" is another thing that irks me. Yes, I suppose it's the lesser of two evils but that's like justifying if I killed someone nicely, it's acceptable in the eyes of the general public.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yeah it bugs me too. This is how most people rationalize eating cows, and not dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are cute and cuddly, and are pets. Clearly cows are stupid and just meant to be tortured and eaten! UGH!!!!

Dogs and Cats ARE raised and sold as edible protein --and not looked upon as cuddly pets in other parts of the world

Just like in some parts of the world---cows are considered sacred.
  • naffito
    naffito Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i see this alot with vegetarians who eat fish

what can you do other than smirk and shrug your shoulders this is just the way people are
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, seriously. Even if you are ethically okay with eating meat, it is a very silly way to rationalize it, since it is not actually rational.

People have many ways of rationalizing many behaviors which allow for cruelty wherever they feel it is profiting them -- look at history and politics!