advice on training program

Options
snarky
snarky Posts: 263 Member
Hey everyone!

I just was kickin' around on http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ and checking out their beginning programs. Anyone have experience with this program?

I am looking at an 18 week program with training equal across sports. I have a base built up in running already, but I am starting at close to zero in biking and swimming. I was thinking about adjusting the training in the running to fit my current level - keeping the spirit of the training just bumping up the numbers a bit.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• joyosplash
    Options
    I use beginnertriathlete too. And from what I've learned, it's best to stick with the plan. When you're adding in all that biking you won't need to run as much as you're probably running now. And your body needs time to recover from the difficult workouts. But give it a shot and see how it goes! I love that website.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    What distance tri are you looking at?
  • snarky
    Options
    Hi Joy! I am training for a Sprint. I am currently running 4 miles three days a week. The plan doesn't hit 4 miles until week 13, so it just seems like a "waste" to have worked up to 4 miles and then cruise for 13 weeks. You could be right about the recovery. It is hard to say without having much experience with biking.

Which program did you do? When was your tri? What are you working on now?
  • joyosplash
    Options
    It occurs to me that I wasn't looking at a beginner plan, how short were the running distances in the beginning? I think beginnertriathlete is fantastic resource all around.

I've done a sprint and an olympic. Currently training for my first half ironman in june! Right now I'm doing the 8 week maintenance plan with bike focus because bike is by far my weakest sport. Then I'll be launching into the 20 week HIM plan!
  • snarky
    Options
    Well, it starts off with 1.5 miles, but jumps down to .9 miles the second week. I was thinking about looking at the % change between the weeks in the BT plan and just apply that to the "base" that I already have. I want to keep with the intent of the program (building and recovery, etc. in the appropriate weeks,) but I just don't want to drop the miles since I am already there for a 5K. I thought it sounded good on paper at least. :)

Wow, a half ironman! That is going to be awesome. Hard work to get there, I can imagine, but a wonderful goal and achievement. Best of luck with your training!

Thanks for all the help everyone! <3
  • joyosplash
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea, as long as the math works out and you keep the recovery weeks, I think you'd be golden! Good luck with your training!!