I need HELP!!!!

Options
smitchum
smitchum Posts: 13 Member
I am sure you all can relate. I run to eat and the older i get it is not that simple. I am a coffee and sugar addict. I run marathons and am gaining weight. I cannot get a hold of my cravings and feel WEAK! my next marathon is in Jan and I am eating so much that my motivation and training is suffering. I am so tired of STARTING over. I have lost 50 pounds in the past of eating healthy. I am an RN and aware of what a healthy diet is... I have been running marathons for 8 years.... just need words of encouragement please and thank you!

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I find marathon training makes me hungry! Cravings I can easily ignore, true hunger is a different story. i am trying to drop about 5 kgs, the balance between eating enough to sustain long distance training and losing weight is a tough one!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Apply the same discipline to your nutrition as you do your training (easy to say, I know......) the fact that you run marathons tells me that you have it in you, it's a matter of resolve.

As an RN I'm going to assume that you work in a fairly stressful environment, you may find this article interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11070333
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Marathon training does crank up the appetite, that's for sure. Are you getting enough calories after your runs? You may need to shift when you get your calories. Can you graze on really low cal things like broccoli florets?
  • twentyquestions
    twentyquestions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also find it harder to lose or maintain weight when marathon training. My "sweet spot" for being able to easily balance calories and running seems to be around 20-40 miles per week. When I'm running 60-80+ mpw for marathon training, it's very easy for me to overeat. It's tricky, too, because you have to fuel the runs properly (before, during, and after) but not out eat your running. Or out drink it (I always enjoy eating a big dinner and drinking beer on long run days as part of the enjoyment of the process and that can add up quickly, too.) So for me, it's important to make sure that I find the right balance and timing of the eating I do so that I've eating the right things at the right times to fuel the runs so I don't bonk and can recover well without out eating my running overall. And so for me it seems to be even more important to track calories while increasing training volume and/or intensity.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Smit do not be so hard on yourself. You are making progress. You are in training so plan out your food. Coffee for me is 0 calories with sweet n low. Add a sugar free creamer and it may hit 80 cal. It is the quality of the food you are eating. Avoid the junk and stay whole food as much as you can. Water is my only other drink allowed. If the food you are eating can sit on a shelf for a year Stop eating it. I quit watching the food channel and all things triggering my cozy holiday food binge. Which most of this for you is the same. Christmas candy and cookies and hot coco with Bailey's Irish cream. Find the joy in your skinny jeans and new running clothes. Keep fresh fruit and nuts around if you need the sweet cookie eat it at a Bakery or coffee shop. Do not bring them into your home. Make your own healthy rolled oats nutrition bars.

You look awesome and healthy. You are in school and a full time nurse and Mom and you are an ATHLETE!! You are on my hero list. God Bless Merry Christmas keep your health.

Patsy
  • smitchum
    Options
    THANK YOU Brian! it's good to know that there is a reason behind the over eating and I just need to fight those urges... thank you for the compliments :)
  • smitchum
    Options
    oh patsy, your post made me CRY! thank you, you are right!!!! it's funny that i don't consider myself an athlete, even with all the running all these years. it's all mind over matter, you made my day, thank you.... I do know what whole eating is and absolutely agree with you 100%, I can do this!!!!
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    You absolutely 100% can do this and anything else you put your mind to...you've proven that...you're a marathoner AND an athlete!!

You rock!

Cyndi