Introduce Yourself

Midnigh
Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
I'm fairly new to message boards but it looks like there are 24 members in this group however I don't see very many posts.

Anyway, it looks like most of us do need help with motivation. I live in the Portland, OR area and I've been up and down on the scale. My current goal is to lose 10#s....and my greatest downfall is lack of motivation and laziness too I think.

Replies

• freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Hi Midnigh. I just joined this group yesterday. I live in Ohio. Dreary cold rainy day today. I need to loose alot more than 10 lbs. But its going to be one day at a time. Started logging into MPT 4 days ago. Doing great so far. It really helps to see what you are taking in as far as calories. When I see the numbers it really makes it real in my head what I am eating.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Hi, Midnigh,

Two reasons for the lack of activity here. First, groups have a difficult time staying active at MFP. Lots of new people join up when they first join MFP, then lose interest in the groups and just hang out in the general forums. Second, this group is only a couple of days old.

I went to your profile page. Sad to hear you DH has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Hey! Me too! But that was 60 pounds ago. My sugar levels are now normal. And I was taking two different hypertension meds. Taking zero now. Weight loss does wonders.

The other thing I noticed is that you're hoping to quit smoking. NO, YOU ARE NOT HOPING TO QUIT! Quitting implies giving something up, losing something out of your life, maybe even missing it after you quit. Instead, what you should be hoping to do is to BECOME A NON-SMOKER. No more stinky clothes, no more expense, no more having to hurry out of the restaurant and leave your friends just so you can light up. I was a pack-a-day smoker most of my life and became a non-smoker this past August 29th just from reading the book. No regrets, no urges, no shakes, no weight gain because I'm not substituting food for cigs. Instead, I'm FREE of the addiction. Period, end of story.

Another MFP peep directed my to Allen Carr's book, "Easy Way to Stop Smoking." I'm just passing on the favor. Amazon, Kindle, check your library, or ask a local book store to get it for you. The author was a five-pack-a-day person and knows of what he speaks. Please do this for yourself and then pass it along to someone else who wants to become a non-smoker.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Hi everyone, Sherri in Wisconsin.

I've needed a swift kick in the behind for months now. I'm starting to feel more motivated this last week or two even though the scale hasnt been moving but I'm getting more consistent with my exercise and I like it!!

I'm glad to be a part of this group and look forward to us all dropping the lbs!!

Feel free to friend me if you like
  • Midnigh
    Hi Midnigh. I just joined this group yesterday. I live in Ohio. Dreary cold rainy day today. I need to loose alot more than 10 lbs. But its going to be one day at a time. Started logging into MPT 4 days ago. Doing great so far. It really helps to see what you are taking in as far as calories. When I see the numbers it really makes it real in my head what I am eating.

Your weather sounds like ours here in Portland....lots of rain. Welcome to MFP! It's amazing to see how many calories I consume in a day when I post it here. I sure binged on Friday, I wish I would of been more thoughtful about what I was eating....oh well! I did better on Sat and today after binging bladly on Friday.

I agree with you: one day at a time! As long as we can stay motivated, we'll make it. I'm glad this group was started.

Have a great week,
    Midnigh
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Renee, from Texas. Currently waiting for the cold weather to hit!!!!! Finally!!!

I lost over 110 pounds about 3 years. Major life changes, divorce, job stress, etc and I fell off the wagon. I've gained about 40 lbs. Reverted to prior eating habits and not near enough time in the gym.

I need all the help I can get!
  • Midnigh
    Hi, Midnigh,

Two reasons for the lack of activity here. First, groups have a difficult time staying active at MFP. Lots of new people join up when they first join MFP, then lose interest in the groups and just hang out in the general forums. Second, this group is only a couple of days old.

I went to your profile page. Sad to hear you DH has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Hey! Me too! But that was 60 pounds ago. My sugar levels are now normal. And I was taking two different hypertension meds. Taking zero now. Weight loss does wonders.

The other thing I noticed is that you're hoping to quit smoking. NO, YOU ARE NOT HOPING TO QUIT! Quitting implies giving something up, losing something out of your life, maybe even missing it after you quit. Instead, what you should be hoping to do is to BECOME A NON-SMOKER. No more stinky clothes, no more expense, no more having to hurry out of the restaurant and leave your friends just so you can light up. I was a pack-a-day smoker most of my life and became a non-smoker this past August 29th just from reading the book. No regrets, no urges, no shakes, no weight gain because I'm not substituting food for cigs. Instead, I'm FREE of the addiction. Period, end of story.

Another MFP peep directed my to Allen Carr's book, "Easy Way to Stop Smoking." I'm just passing on the favor. Amazon, Kindle, check your library, or ask a local book store to get it for you. The author was a five-pack-a-day person and knows of what he speaks. Please do this for yourself and then pass it along to someone else who wants to become a non-smoker.
    Hi Gerripho,
    It sounds like your weight loss has really improved your health, that's awesome. My hubby has lost 50lbs since receiving his diagnosis. He's pretty motivated.

Thanks for your imput regarding smoking. I ordered Allen Carr's book from Amazon tonight and I should have it within 5 days. Good timing as I plan on quitting 12/28/12....I'm having foot and knee surgery that day and won't be able to get out to the garage which is where I smoke so it makes sense to stop "thinking about it" and "just do it"! I know two other people that have talked about quitting so I'll pass it on to them when I'm done.

You are correct: "Hoping" won't ending smoking. I'm reading a book right now by Augusten Burroughs called "This Is How" and he talks about dealing with the discomfort of any kind of change. Pretty insightful. I'm going to copy some of the pages in his book before I take it back to the library. Insight to refer to while recovering from surgery and struggeling with various discomforts.
    Have a great week,
    Midnigh
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Hi everyone. I definitely could use some support. I'm 34 years old, married, work full time and go to school. Sometimes it's hard to stay on track. I have two step kids who are 15 and 20 so it's not like I'm running around after little ones. But sometimes I just can't seem to pull myself together and exercise. I know I could shed these last 14 pounds if I exercised. I'm trying new things in order to find something I enjoy doing. I like walking, but living in New Hampshire means it's way too cold and dark after or before work. I need motivation friends! Fell free to add me if you do too :)
  • Nmthor
    Nmthor Posts: 36 Member
    Well, my name is Nanette, and I've been steady on MFP for about three months. My problem isn't sugar, it's snacks. At night time, a good day can go down the drain with salty chips (Doritos Sweet & Chili Nachos, to name it.)

After a month of snacking on Doritos and not seeing the scale go down (even though I met my calories and exercise 5x a week), my MFP buddy said to me, "Hey, what are you doing?" That woke me up and I tossed the Doritos in the trash (it killed me) and went shopping for fruits, vegetables, and Special K cracker chips.

Since then, I've been eating healthy, and seeing the scale move again. :) I figured that since I needed that extra kick, maybe other people would need it too. Therefore, that's how this group was created.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Hi everyone. I'm Debbie. I know I have already messaged to some of you already. This is a great board. Thanks for the invite Nan.

I live in Toledo Ohio. I am at least 50 to 60 lbs over weight. This is my 5th day being active on MFP. I joined last year but wasn't serious about it yet. Well things are changing. I need to be accountable for what goes in my mouth. Seeing it in black and white how many calories I eat is really helping.

I know what I have to do. This isn't my first attempt at weight loss. I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago. I joined a gym and worked out 3-4 days a week. Then for what ever reason I just quit going to the gym. Well now I'm right back where I started 5 yrs ago. I know I can do it. With MFP and your friendship and encouragement I know I can do and stick with it.

I have to do this not just to feel good about myself. I know I have to do this for my over all good health. My family has all kinds of heath issues. From heart to diabeties and most of my siblings are over weight. I hope that seeing me work hard and watch my calorie intake will make a difference in their lives.

Thanks to all have made me feel welcome here. Lets keep up the good work uplifting all.

Debbie