Introduce Yourself...

Options
When did you graduate, and from where? What sort of practice are you in these days? Anything special you want to share?

Replies

• zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I graduated from University of Tennessee in 2008. I am currently the 5th doctor in a soon-to-be-6-doctor practice. We do general small animal medicine, although I will see pocket pets, reptiles, and even birds on rare occasion. I've also seen a goat or two wandering our halls.

I love what I do, even after 14 years in the industry, and would never want to do anything else. But I get heartache and burnout with the best of them, so you'll probably see wide and varied opinions on here. :smile:

I have a 5yo son and twin 7yo step-sons that keep me busy outside of work. Their sports and activities force me to neglect our 1yo mixed breed (anyone wanna chip in for a Wisdom panel?) dog, and the 9- and 10yo cats that allow us to share their living space.
  • khsdvm
    khsdvm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1996 "The" Ohio State grad. Currently doing ER in a specialty hospital. Married but no kids. Currently have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Trying very hard not to accumulate any more pets.
  • zophiel67
    Options
    1996 "The" Ohio State grad. Currently doing ER in a specialty hospital. Married but no kids. Currently have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Trying very hard not to accumulate any more pets.

Is that any easier in emergency medicine than general practice? I would think it was harder to avoid... maybe.
  • khsdvm
    khsdvm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My ratio right now is 3 pets from ER practice and 2 from general. So I guess maybe its a little harder to avoid in ER but not much.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi, another "The" Ohio State grad, '95 (so KHS we probably know each other). I'm a relatively new practice owner of 2 1/2 years, married just shy of 25 years, and have two sons, 10 and 7, with ADHD and dyslexia. With the economy, 45 minute commute each way, and the extra effort my sons require, I feel like I've had my foot to the floor boards the past 10 years, especially the past 5 years. My husband was laid off for the 3rd time a year ago. He's in night school now doing his MBA and slowiy taking over the management of the practice (no prior vet experience and the pace as which we need things done/fixed was a huge surprise to him and frustration to me).

My health (wasteline, cholesterol, etc.) has suffered from the stress, but that's why I'm here on MFP. It's been an interesting rode the past 8 months getting to know me again. I went to a dressage show today and realized I've only ridden 4 times in the past 17 years. This needs to change. Right now. So, I'm working on that. Typical mom thing -- who am I and where did I go? I know we probably all go through this to some degree or another.

I'm vegan (not vegan police material however) and currently also trying gluten free eating to see how I feel. So I cook. A lot. But mostly on Sundays, because who has time during the week to cook? Heck, so many nights I fall into bed near midnight fully clothed (OMG, can't believe I'm admitting this) and wake up around 3am to put my PJs on. Then the alarm goes off at 5am and we do it all over again. And apparently I've thought I was made of some kind of titanium that I could take this and not have it affect my health.

Thank you for starting this forum. There are few who understand the issues we face every day, so it's nice to have someone here who does. Cheers to you.
  • zophiel67
    Options
    Holy cow - You certainly do have a couple challenges. :smile:

Good for you keeping up the cooking and the willpower to maintain a vegan lifestyle. I keep trying to convince myself to go back to vegetarian, but I never made it past ovo-lacto even when I was vegetarian for 5 years back in school.

Good luck with making some changes - start small and stick with it! :smile:
  • jvendramin
    Options
    Hi everyone! Im a new grad (2012) from Illinois and I am currently working in privat epractice (some day, some ER) in the Seattle area. I lost a lot of weight in the early years of vet school, but 4th year rotations and the challenges of moving cross country have wreaked havoc on my eating habits. Im back on the wagon again and here to make some MFP friends!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am a 2008 grad from Washington State University. I have been working at a dog/cat exclusive clinic for almost 5 years. I have a 3 yr old and 9 month old daughter. I managed to lose the "freshman 15" from all those free vet school lunch lectures but now have the last 10 lb or so of post baby weight to lose. Due to my schedule I get very limited time with my girls and I am having a hard time chosing to sacrifice time with them in order to exercise. I am mainly focusing on diet now and when my youngest one weans I will plan on starting to exercise on my lunch break.
  • mcwdvm
    mcwdvm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a 1993 WCVM grad (U of Saskatchewan) currently in a mixed animal practice- about 50% large, mostly beef cows, and 50% small. Prefer the cows! I run to stay in shape and do strength training. I am here to shed about 25 pounds as I tend to think I burn off more than I eat (not the case, unfortunately).
    I really like meeting people from the veterinary profession. It is a challenging and rewarding way to make a living but also has it's share of difficulties. It's nice to share the ups and downs with others experiencing the same challenges.
  • zophiel67
    Options
    Welcome!
  • yogakitty2014
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm a 4th year student at the University of Missouri and I'm planning on a career in shelter medicine. I'm new to MFP, but I've been working on my health and weight for a while... Lost 40 lbs between May -October 2012 but then I started clinics and things got crazy. I maintained my weight for a while and then it started creeping back. Then I had to have disc surgery in June this year (pretty much a Hansen type 2 disc, but the human docs don't call it that), so the exercise restrictions while I recovered really didn't help. Anyway, I've just gotten back to my pre-clinic weight loss weight and I'm excited to continue losing this time. Also getting ready for the NAVLE on Dec 12, so send some good vibes my way please!

Thanks!
  • Jeannieclark84
    Jeannieclark84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Jeannie. I am about to graduate from Western University of Health Sciences and start an internship in Wisconsin. I have lost almost 70 lbs since April of 2013 and have another 75 lbs to go. I was hoping this group would allow me to give support and receive support to continue on my path to a healthy me. I have been a member of MFP since 2010 but until the last year and a half I had failed at losing the weight. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing tips to manage our healthy lifestyles!

3153899.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Jeannieclark84
    Jeannieclark84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HI! I just wanted to say hi and see how you are doing? How did you do on your NAVLE?
    Jeannie