what are you doing for exercise during the colder weather

Options
BIRDIEBL8
BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
Wondering what other NWA people are doing for exercise now that the weather is changing? I'm addicted to outdoor activities but need to change up now that I'm being driven indoors. Thinking about weights & those dreaded work-out videos. So what is everybody else doing?

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well....this may sound goofy, but it works for me. I go to the Wally across the state line during slow hours grab a cart (cheap, redneck walker) and go as fast as I can down every single isle. Believe it or not, it is more than a mile and I usually burn around 200 cals per my HRM. And, the BEST part is I get to see lots of people from other planets..those Walmartians!

Also, I saved up for so long to get my recumbent bike, that is working very well.

And, I still workout with Suz...but I won't go into too much detail for the sake of propriety!

I feel like you..I love the outdoors...Suz is doing Zumba with light weights and loving it. She borrowed some DVD's and basically memorized the moves and I put on MJ or some other funk and she goes to town while I ride.

Whatever works...
  • sngglebune
    sngglebune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a bargain hunter and on my bargain hunting adventure(s) we pickup a HUGE amazing treadmill during one outing, a spin bike on another quest, and just yesterday a fabulous elliptical from the Goodwill in Bentonville! I'm so proud of my investment of $330 for all 3 pieces - cheaper than a year's gym membership. So I spin, I run and now I've got my elliptical to play with too. Burned 200+ calories on it this morning so I'm set for the winter - and the really hot days in the summer. :happy:
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How many calories does shivering burn???
    But I like BigD's idea at Wally World :)
  • BIRDIEBL8
    Options
    Wow great find sngglebune! I've been stalking the goodwill in springdale & fayetteville & haven't found anything yet! I'm going to the fitness center today but really need something for home as I have my granddaughter most days & can't take her. I'm gonna keep looking- had a treadmill years ago & wore it out.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    Options
    Shivering burns between 400 to 500 calories per hr HOWEVER if you hold your purse out in front of you while shivering ( like a shakeweight) the burn increases to 1098 per hr so ladies shiver on!
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Shivering burns between 400 to 500 calories per hr HOWEVER if you hold your purse out in front of you while shivering ( like a shakeweight) the burn increases to 1098 per hr so ladies shiver on!

LOL..... Nice
    Don't carry a purse, I'd have to hold the candy bowl or my plant while I'm at work. The candy bowl could be disasterous... Maybe I'll hold the phone? hehehe
  • sngglebune
    sngglebune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The Springdale Goodwill has a better selection of name brand purses and shoes, but the Goodwill in Bentonville has a better selection of household goods and furniture. The Salvation Army in Rogers has a great selection of household goods and furniture too. I've yet to get to the one in FY but I will this weekend. I'm guessing with the college kids it'll have more trendy clothes - which I'm into now that I can fit into most of them! :smile:

Craigslist is another good resource. That's how I got my spin bike, but it's definitely a first-come first-served deal so act quickly if you have the cash and it's what you're willing to pay. Also, at this time of year would think more people will be stalking Craigslist for used workout equipment because of new year's resolutions. With that being said, I would also think more people will be willing to get rid of their equipment because they'll know this is the time of year there is a demand for it, especially after they've not not stuck to their resolutions or maybe looking to upgrade.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness over off Weddington. I typically find myself getting in exercise when I am obligated to pay a membership fee. I also try to walk my dog as much as possible but here lately it's just too COLD!
  • in4profit
    Options
    I am being forced to use the dreadmill forest of my workout efforts until the sun starts shining again.
  • AnotherDreamer2013
    Options
    The Fayetteville Public Library just started free yoga classes on Mondays at 5:30 pm. Check their website for a sign up sheet. St Paul's Episcopal Church in Fayetteville has free yoga classes on Tuesday at 5:30 pm.

Me, I'm too big to do yoga at this point so I'm doing stretches and weights at home and walks around the neighborhood as weather permits.