The Assassin's Creed series

Textmessage
Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
I haven't touched my Xbox in a while, and figured it was time to pick up a game or two. Assassin's Creed 3 looks really nice, but I was wondering if it's worth it to play the others first or not.

Is there any plot that carries over between games at all or just references that link them that aren't too important? If I play AC3 first, will I be disappointed going through the others after (clumsier controls, visuals, etc)?

Replies

• Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    The entire series is one long story.... Though there is some catch-up done at the beginning of ACIII to catch you up on some of what's happening, I have a feeling a lot of newcomers will be quite lost during present day sequences (which is where the bulk of the continuing story lies). I'd strongly suggest start at the beginning.

I may be wrong... any newcomers to ACIII not get lost in what was happening in the present?
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    I have not played it but I heard it is not nearly as good as the first one.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    I've never spent more than an hour on an AC game up until 3. The controls were super wonky IMO, and it always takes several hours to really get into the meat of the game.

Having said that, I beat Assassin's Creed 3 in 2 weekends. I really (REALLY) liked the pre-revolutionary war setting, the character acting is good to great, the controls are more streamlined and reliable, and the story is good. They also give you a approx. 5 minute opening that runs down what matter leading up to this game. Yeah, there's no doubt bits and pieces that you won't get from it, but I also went and watched a primer video on Youtube that leads up to AC3, and it was fine for me.

I highly recommend this game, especially if you're a fan of U.S. history. No, it's not anywhere close to historically accurate in a lot of cases, but it touches on a lot of people from the time and does it in an entertaining way.

It'll still take you 4-5 hours to really get into the meat of the game tho, so be prepared for that.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Why not start at the beginning? The entire series is amazing gaming. :)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Thanks for all the input so far. I actually just picked up the first Assassin's Creed on my way home. The guys at the Game Stop said that the first game isn't that impressive, but 2 and Brotherhood/Revelations are much better.

Onto Brotherhood and Revelations - are those like side stories? Something along the lines of FF13-2 etc?
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    I would play them in sequence. The story is worth it, and if you skip extra stuff like grabbing flags, and treasures, and synchronizing with every eagle point, the games can go by quickly.
  • NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    I brought the first one and although liked the idea was not completly hooked. Brought Revelations last year and that was absolutly amazing! would of been my game of the year if not for Skyrim..

Recently got Assassins Creed 3 and am slowly getting into it although admit i am not quite hooked yet but give it time..

I would recommend starting at the earlier games to get to grips with the backstory and basic gameplay as they do add on quite alot of cool features and Ezio is just badass so you gota play him as the protagonist :)
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    I was totally going to pick this one up, but alas I barely have time to play the games I have and am still very interested in (Halo 4, Skyrim, MWF3, Forza 4). Too many awesome games and not enough time.