Don't know the type of pcos I am..

Options
heena1228
heena1228 Posts: 29 Member
Hi all....
I have been diagnosed with pcos few years back however I don't know which category I fall into.
Although the doc said that its a mild one that I face.
Jus to share some information...
I get my periods regularly but I get it at an interval of 45 days... And sometimes 34 days...
Does anyone know which type I belong to?

Replies

• andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by type? Everyone is a little different, but as long as you have a certain set of conditions you can have the diagnosis of PCOS. I am not aware that there are any actual categories within PCOS.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    There are two types of PCOS - insulin-resistant and non-insulin-resistant. If you are insulin-resistant, eating a low carb diet helps with symptoms. The other type is more difficult to pinpoint the underlying cause.

http://thepcosfactor.blogspot.com/2010/07/know-your-pcos.html?m=1
  • heena1228
    heena1228 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I guess il have to check with my doctor... :)
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm not really aware of 'types' per se, but it does seem to be the case that there are a number of things that could underlie PCOS, and that's why treatments don't work for everyone. There are a few things that you should definitely find out about that will help you figure out what is most likely to help you:

1. Are you insulin resistant? Your doctor will need to test for this.
    2. Along the same line, there is a blood test called hbA1C that can give a pretty accurate picture of your risk for prediabetes/diabetes
    3. You need to be tested for thyroid dysfunction. Some people have both thyroid dysfunction AND PCOS, but some people seem to be misdiagnosed with PCOS when actually their thyroid is the problem.
    4. Are you overweight? Most people with PCOS are, but some are not (like me). Treatments like metformin do not always work as well in people with PCOS who are not overweight, but they don't really seem to know why....might be related to the insulin again.

So, while there might not be recognized 'types', you need to have a clear picture of what is dysfunctional in your body (and what you can rule out). If your case is mild, you might be able to avoid meds, which is great! Have you tried a low GI diet? Still, don't neglect finding out about your risks for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and endometrial cancer just because your symptoms are mild....make sure you get checked out!