The year in retrospect

Options
I lost and gained 20 pounds.

I gained and lost 2 boyfriends.

I started 2012 broke and will end it broker.

I started 2012 hating my job and will end it doing double of my job with the same pay and hating it even more.

I spent $3,700 fixing ONE tooth. So, technically I started the year with a lower right molar and will end the year with a lower right molar .. just one that cost $3,700.

This year has been one giant waste of time. Right back where I started.

How about you?

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    My weight stayed the same within 5 lbs.

Lost a 3 year relationship:sad:

Gained the knowledge, to think about me. FINALLY!!! :drinker:

Bought my vehicle ALL BY MYSELF for the very first time. I know right, I'm freaking 30!

We got paid 3 times in November and usually when there is a 3rd paycheck, something comes up or I don't watch my P's and Q's and I don't get to keep/save that paycheck....this year I DID!!!! ALLL OF IT! Huge Success in my mind. :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:

I'm gonna say it's been a good year over all, my friends have stuck by me thru the Good the Bad and the Ugly. And that's how I wanna keep it.

Chin up Jennifer! :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Same here sista!! I just gained 20lbs tho, lost it last year! Gained it this year! :grumble:

Kudos! I think I've had the driest year on record!! :ohwell: I'm working on it tho! :bigsmile:

I started 2012 hating my job and will end it doing double of my job with the same pay and hating it even more.

Ahhh, beat you here. Started the year broke, found a great company to work for, really enjoy my job :bigsmile: Perhaps next year you need to find another one honey??
    I spent $3,700 fixing ONE tooth. So, technically I started the year with a lower right molar and will end the year with a lower right molar .. just one that cost $3,700.

WTF!!!!!!!!!! And I moaned when a cap cost me £300! Don't you guys have dental insurance?

How about you?

Lets look at the positives: We're alive and healthy! (no diseases, medication for anything). Have legs to walk/run and arms to cook and cuddle with. We have friends and family that love us. We, at least HAVE a job in a bad economy, roof over our heads, food in our belly (albeit too MUCH food!! lol) And we are wonderful, kind, free spirited, fun and lovable people.

Things could be a LOT worse!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Gained back 30lbs

No boyfriends gained or lost but have gained numerous new friends.

Still hate my job but got a 12% raise, paid off all my debt other then car and house.

Ran my first half marathon

My mom was diagnosed with cancer, which has brought my parents closer together and I am for probably the first time in my 35 years seeing them actually expressing love to eachother.

After living here for 8 years have finally become content with living here and not continued dreaming of moving back to MN.

I am generally happy with my life at the moment.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Lets look at the positives: We're alive and healthy! (no diseases, medication for anything). Have legs to walk/run and arms to cook and cuddle with. We have friends and family that love us. We, at least HAVE a job in a bad economy, roof over our heads, food in our belly (albeit too MUCH food!! lol) And we are wonderful, kind, free spirited, fun and lovable people.

Things could be a LOT worse!! :flowerforyou:

I very much agree, Anna. While things may seem to have gone nowhere, Jen, I'm sure you've learned a lot this year and that's worth more than money or a boyfriend. :flowerforyou: Besides, you have all of us!!!! :tongue:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

How about you?

I lost 30 and gained back 10 :grumble: (will get this last 30 off of me )

I had 3 FWB and 1 BF (not at the same time)

I did not get a raise again this year.

I did learn alot about what I am willing to do for a friend.

I learned what I dont want from a guy.

Actually I'm pretty happy with this year. I partyed my *kitten* off, had a blast with friends, have a job and I am back on track weight loss wise. I'll take it :flowerforyou:
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

How about you?

My year was not great either...

I lost 20 pounds but fell off the wagon in October while I was working two jobs and now I am finding it incredibly hard to get back on the horse.

I ‘lost’ a boyfriend of 2.5 years. I could still have him but I finally realized I deserve better. I love him, his kids, and the dog but my needs trump that!

I am broke! I fought with the ex for 11 months to get child support change due to a change in insurance. It should have taken less than a month but because my ex and his lawyer are slimy they drug it out for ELVEN months. I finally saw the higher payment today.

I had some major health problems and owe major amounts of money to several hospitals including the mayo clinic. In the end it was my family doctor and I that “solved” the problem. So basically thousands of dollars were wasted.

I’m ready for the new year!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Started January 1st 2012 at 180 on the scale. Today I was 148, 9 pounds lower than my original goal.

Got a new job Feb. 6th 2012 after a 13 month unemployment - still ticking and loving it

Got my own place after 4 months of living with my parents - not what a 33 year old ever wants to do

Have financial freedom again

Met my boyfriend in the summer, found me a good one this time. He and his great dog moved in to make my apartment a home.

Turned 34 last Monday, pretty happy with where my life is going

2012 was WAY better for me than 2011. I'm hoping 2013 is even better.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 pounds put it back on and lost 36 pound.

Technically end of 2012 but got dumped by my ex (the most amazing person I have met, and only one to ever be interested in me) on 28th Dec, and spent the last year trying to get over it.

I went way off the rails and lost control of drinking.

I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and severe depression.

I was put on anti-d's and the dosage was increased.

I was knocked out, and saw everything green playing rugby.

My ex dated a friend of mine.

I ended up covering 4 jobs at work for no extra pay.

I got turned down for an internal promotion having made final 2.

My dad was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour, just waiting to see if benign or not.

My housemate from university and one of my closest friends was diagnosed with breast cancer, she is currently having chemo.

I realised I have some real true friends

I developed a really close friendship almost from nowhere with someone even though have known her for 19 years from school.

I have started to build a good friendship with my ex however slowly.

I have entered tough mudder for June 13 and have been regularly running 5k, and recently pushed up to 7.5k having also run 10k once.

Found a lot of good support, people and advice on mfp.

Thats about it, have tried to end on positives lol.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, meant to say bring on 2013 it has to be better!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    lost 20 lbs.

+1 GF

-1 micromanaging boss

..... However I feel my life gets more uneventful by the year, hopping to pic up some hobbies in 2013!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Honestly this has been one of the best years for me. I think I've grown a lot.

I've...
    lost 30 pounds

gained self-confidence and respect.

given up alcohol (one year on the 30th!)

gained and lost friends. and each time I realized that people were leaving my life to make room for new ones.

The only thing is that I've been having one hell of a time finding a new job... Maybe I'll get a good one in 2013!
  • Bassafrass80
    Bassafrass80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This year I have:

Lost 100.2lbs so far. From a size 26/28 to size 14/16

Just recently gained a boyfriend who is everything I ever wanted in a man and am so lucky to have found

Have a job that I finally got a great review and subsequently a great raise from. And even better, I love my job and what I do

Watched my ltitle girl grown from a little 4 year old to a KID who will be five in a little over a week.

This has been a FANTASTIC year for me and I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for me!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    2012 is not worth dwelling on, beyond saying that it has been a shocker for me, and for an awful lot of my friends, in one way or another. If 2013 isn't an improvement, I will want my money back!
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    2012 definitely had it's share of ups and downs:

Started on MFP and have lost a total of about 30 pounds. Not the 100 I was hoping for, but still 30 pounds gone.

Had 2 girlfriends this year (1 relationship I ended, the other I was dumped)

Gained a lot insight into some things I want in my future partner.

Got turned down for an internal promotion at work

Ended my sexual dry spell which was great.

Work has become exceedingly stressful and has me looking for new jobs.

Took a great trip out west and will be taking another to end the year to the deep south.

Lost touch with some friends, and gained some new ones.

Overall, happy to have this year done and over with. Hoping for continued success with weight loss and finding a new job and possibly new girlfriend next year.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all with such great weight losses!! :flowerforyou:

The struggle with the scale lives on (fluctuate about 5 lbs.), but continue to be consistent with my workouts. Have added weights to my routine and am seeing some progress there.

Few dates, no boyfriends, but my dog sure is great company!

Work has remained about the same. Did receive a small raise this year. Yay!

Have seen multiple close friends go through some really tough stuff this year (i.e. job loss, major illness, surgeries, etc.). I am extremely thankful to have my job and my health.

Very proud of my son and how well he is doing in his second year of college, especially after a change in major.

Look forward to a new year and hopeful that maybe there will be a little more excitement than this year. But overall, can't complain!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    All I remember about this year right now... is that I'm hung over. I'll have to try this again later.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    - Gained back 22 lbs. :(
    - Graduated college
    - Became a RN
    - Got my first real job
    - Bought my first Coach purse
    - Went out on more than one date with the same guy (and he never used a coupon)
    - Got my first cheek kiss from a guy
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    January started rough. I lost a boyfriend in the first week and a friend passed away suddenly in the last week.

The year has been one of self reflection and preparing for the future. No other major events, good or bad.

Next year will be a bit more eventful with knee surgery and some issues with my ex-husband coming to a head. Neither worries me as they are more a means to an end.
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

- lost 62lbs
    - started broke and still broke
    - moved to Florida
    - got a promotion, with no raise, and I hate my job
    - moved back in with my parents because of the move and can't WAIT to find my own place. It's taking too long!
    - still hate my job
    - my dog had surgery and his food has to be prescribed now
    - fair share of FWB's including my current "bathroom" guy

- hoping and praying for better
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    - I've lost 35 lbs this year. I did gain about 12 of it during the Summer of 2012. I went to San Diego to visit friends and go to Comic-con. Though I stayed active, I ate crap and didn't track )= It has also slowed down quite a bit. Ideally, if I kept the healthy weight loss rate of 2 lbs. a week, I should have been 250 before the end of the year but I still am in the 300's though I am very close to getting out of the 300's. Also, even though the scale says otherwise, I know I am making progress. At the beginning of 2012, 3XL sized shirts fit just a teeny bit snug. Now it's too big for me, 2XLT fit ok and in some cases I can fit into 1XLT

- Early in 2012. I discovered that I have broken bones in both ankles. One of the side effects from when I used to have diabetes is that you lose feeling in parts of your body. I didn't feel any pain for a while until I improved and my diabetes went away. Being nearly 500 lbs. for many years I wasn't doing any favors to my ankles.

-No dates, girlfriends, nada. I did have a few gym crushes. Almost every single one ends because, A) married with kids B) has a boyfriend :brokenheart: C) found out later outside of the gym that she is a smoker :indifferent:

- Job has been good. Got a pay raise and a bonus too. It has gotten more busy lately, which translates to less time to play on MFP while at work.:laugh: