Anyone Planning a Destination Wedding?

Options
My destination wedding in Canada is less than 6 months away--can't believe how quickly time is flying by! Anyone else planning a destination wedding? Are you planning everything yourself or have you hired a wedding planner?

Replies

• irishgrim
    Options
    planning one in Hawaii next fall! Hired a wedding planner!
  • marmar510
    Options
    Oh that's awesome, congratulations!
  • leilei543
    Options
    Congratulations. Time really does fly. I have a little over a year but am trying to get in shape so I can order my dress by the 12 month mark. We are planning our wedding in Puerto Rico Febuary 2014. Initially I was trying to do everything myself but after a few months of dead ends I decided to hire a planner. I was hoping to only have to hire a coordinator for the actual wedding day but things are going much smoother now that I have some help.
  • marmar510
    Options
    That's a great time of the year for a wedding in Puerto Rico, congrats! I agree, planners/coordinators make this process much smoother, particularly in the case of a destination wedding. Is your planner local to Puerto Rico or did you hire someone who plans destination weddings from afar?
  • leilei543
    Options
    She is in Puerto Rico so she has quite a few resources that she uses there. I considered using someone local that specialized in destination weddings but I figured someone local may be able to get better pricing since they probably do alot of weddings with the vendors. I am very excited about the wedding but I think having a destination wedding may be a little more difficult to plan...Are you doing multiple events for your guests leading up to and after the wedding?
  • irishgrim
    Options
    Thanks! Lei lei, what are the costs out there for wedding planners? Mine was over 5k.
  • marmar510
    Options
    Same here, I also hired a planner at my destination (in Montreal) because of her connections and the better pricing her preferred vendors offer. We are having a whole weekend of activities (the wedding falls over Memorial Day weekend so most of our guests are coming in that Thursday and staying until Monday). We have tons of activity suggestions for our guests to participate in (food tours, bike tours, pub tours, etc.) but the only non-wedding event we are hosting is the Rehearsal Dinner the night before (I'm actually calling it a Welcome Dinner since it's open to every guest, not just the bridal party). All other activities are at the guests' expense. What about you?

Irishgrim, are you having a whole week worth of events since yours is all the way in Hawaii?
  • leilei543
    Options
    Our planner charges 23% of the cost of your wedding so unfortunately as we spend more her rate goes up too..lol. I wasnt a big fan of this set up and would've preferred a set rate but she was one of the best in the area so I went with her. We are also only holding one hosted event and we are also calling it a welcome party. We rented a villa on the beach for the wedding so the rehearsal will be there with just the wedding party and we will have cocktails. After the rehearsal we will go to a restaurant for the welcome party. We are sending out the save the date cards this month which is exciting. Im hoping from there we will start getting an idea of who may come and how long they will stay. If people are going to be there for the whole weekend or longer, we may try to add in one more event.

Have you already ordered your dress? After my first attempt at dress shopping I knew it was time to go on a diet...lol. That is what brought me here. I have three months to order a dress without having to rush shipment.
  • marmar510
    Options
    Oh wow (about how your planner is charging). W ell the good thing is 1) she's the best in the area and 2) that set up will help keep your wedding budget in check! And your weekend sounds really fun.

Yes, I ordered my dress almost a year from the wedding date in advance--I finally have my first fitting next month (it'll be my first time seeing the dress in 8 months!) I wanted to lose a few lbs before the big day so I've actually lost 7 lbs since I first ordered the dress. Hoping that will be enough to see the dress taken in a bit.

Do you know which dress you like or will you go shopping again soon?
  • leilei543
    Options
    I really like the fit and flare styles. With it being a beach wedding I am looking at organza dresses so it will look light and airy. Which dress did you choose?
  • marmar510
    Options
    Ooh yes, that would be a great style for your beach wedding--finding the dress is one of the best parts of this planning process!

My dress is a strapless, drop-waist ballgown with a sweetheart neckline (the brand is Pronovias). With my first fitting coming up, I'm starting to think about the bridal undergarments. I think I'll wait to buy one until I can talk to the seamstress about what I need (whether it's a corset, strapless bra, etc.). So many things to consider!
  • leilei543
    Options
    They say you should do all of your fittings in what you plan to wear so you may want to get going on that soon if your first fitting is coming up. I love Pronovias dresses. Im sure its absolutely gorgeous. How many guests are you having?
  • marmar510
    Options
    Good point, I still need to get my jewelry (I do already have my veil and shoes)!

We're inviting 140 and expecting at least 100. What about you?
  • irishgrim
    Options
    I realized my comment never published! Yes, we are doing several events. Having the welcome/rehearsal dinner, doing a tour of downtown Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, and something else.
  • andonsmama
    Options
    hey there! i am also planning a destination wedding! we live in TN, my family is in WI and his is in FL.
    We are doing Las Vegas, NV. It will be a classy Vegas wedding, no Elvis! LOL the chapel in the hotel we picked is covering everything! we will have ceremony at the gazebo, they cover the flowers, video, photography, cake, dj, hall, minister, and limo. In a way i kinda feel like i am missing out on the "planning" but it's kinda nice not to stress. :happy:
    One thing i worry about is how to travel with my gown. Kinda nervous about that!

have a good day! :flowerforyou:
  • marmar510
    Options
    Welcome, that sounds like alot of fun!! I LOVE Vegas--I'm having my bachelorette party there :)

Did you get your dress already? I guess depending on the size there might be a few ways you can transport on the plane.
  • leilei543
    Options
    Congrats on your wedding...Vegas sounds like fun. There are days I wish that I had gone to an island with an all inclusive wedding package. Planning can be fun but it can also be a headache...lol. I have also been thinking about traveling with my gown. Our planner said that most people travel with the gown stored in an overheard or the flight attendants will store it for you in a closet in the front of the plane. My issue is I have to take a 8 passenger island hopper to get to our final destination. I'm not sure how this will work on such a small plane.

We are inviting 60 guests and expecting about 50.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im based in the UK. I'm having a destination wedding in Cyprus. 10th May wooohoooo! 21 weeks to go and about 20 pounds still to lose! 19 gone already though so I'm halfway there! Stating TurboJam on Monday!
  • marmar510
    Options
    Huge congrats to you (I especially love your wedding date because that's my birthday!) I've never been to Cyprus but heard it's beautiful :)
  • andonsmama
    Options
    i would feel much better if my dress was with me in the overhead. i hops the hotel can steam it for something. it is lightweight :)
    here it is:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Charmeuse-Side-Drape-Gown-with-Sash-WG3026

i love it :smile:

congrats to you all!!