when did you start showing and how tall are you?

Options
im 14+1 weeks with my 4th so i was expecting to show quite early! i never got big bumps with other babies but i was 65lbs heavier before my last pregnancy so thought this time id get a big bump!.

i do still exercise daily usually exercise bike or a long walk.

well this is me today...http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382141_10152337092560637_645875872_n.jpg

im bigger but no bump!

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread!

I am 5'7", and I feel like I started showing around 11 weeks, but just a little. Today I'm 16+1 weeks with my 2nd, and I feel like the past two weeks have made a huge difference, especially this past week. I feel like I can't possibly not wear maternity clothes now. (Follow that? :tongue:)

With my first I started out about 30-35 lbs heavier than when I started this time, so I was so heavy that my "bump" was never obvious. Strangers didn't ask me about it or make comments, I think because they weren't sure if I was pregnant or just fat (or, in my case, both).

This time is certainly different. I feel like I'm gaining a lot in my waist so that when a "real" bump appears, I won't be one of those women who looks like she's carrying a basketball. In other words, my belly is filling out from the top as well. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but there's not much I can do!

ETA: Don't you hate that period when your regular clothes are too small, but maternity clothes aren't really necessary yet - and it's not obvious to the world that you are pregnant?
  • speshell4
    Options
    ETA: Don't you hate that period when your regular clothes are too small, but maternity clothes aren't really necessary yet - and it's not obvious to the world that you are pregnant?
    [/quote]

I hate that stage!!! I bought a few shirts to wear to the gym that say things like Rock this bump, and Prego and Proud. Just to let everyone know:)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7.5 and with my first I started to show quite late. I started out as overweight/ borderline obese BMI 29.5 , and for a long time I just looked like I am getting fatter. I only started to wer maternity pants after the first trimester maybe 14-165 weeks, and most people dind;t realized I was preggo until I was like 20 weeks.

This pregnancy was totally different. I was a 15 lb lighter to start with around BMI 28. I had to start wearing maternity pant around 9-10 weeks, and I had a very hard time hiding this until the end of the 1st trimester, because it was so obvious already by 12-13 weeks.

My belly looks also looks different shape and seems to be much lower than first pregnancy.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I seemed to be stuck in that "twilight zone" for what seemed like forever! I'm 5'9" and I didn't really start showing to the point where people could tell until around week 20-21 (5 months in), and even then people were cautious because it still wasn't THAT obvious, until a little later. It wasn't until almost 7 months I was definitely showing pregnant. My mom was the same way.
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great thread -- I'm 6'0" and 16 weeks along with my first and am not yet showing. I can see a slight difference below my belly button, but it's not anything noticeable to the eye (more to the touch?) and I'm still in all my regular clothes.

I also haven't gained any weight yet (actually, I'm still down 6 pounds from the 1st trimester sickness) and started out at a healthy BMI with 21% body fat. I'm sure a lot of it is because this is my first, but also I have a theory that the taller you are, the more torso room the baby has to start with, and the less outward growth you experience at first.... or something.

However, all day yesterday my uterus felt achy - not crampy or painful, just a bit sore? - and today I do think my pants feel slightly tighter, so I'm hoping it's the week's 16-18 growth spurt!
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm not really showing yet, but I, too, am in that awkward stage where regular jeans are just too uncomfortable but I dont really *need* maternity pants. But I got some and they are just so comfy! I've also been wearing leggings a lot. I'm 5'11 and 15+3 today, so theres plenty of room in there for baby to stretch out! My most recent pic is my profile picture, I was 14+4 when that was taken, and I look pretty much the same now. My belly is getting a lot harder though. I've gained about 10lbs so far...started out with a BMI of 21.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is my first and I guess when my belly first started getting round was about week 16..and I am 5'1" :)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I seemed to be stuck in that "twilight zone" for what seemed like forever! I'm 5'9" and I didn't really start showing to the point where people could tell until around week 20-21 (5 months in), and even then people were cautious because it still wasn't THAT obvious, until a little later. It wasn't until almost 7 months I was definitely showing pregnant. My mom was the same way.

Same here. I hated the in between phase and couldn't wait to have a belly! I'm 5'9" and was 139lbs pre-pregnancy. I felt huge from about week 10 onwards (mostly bloat), but didn't look pregnant until week 22 and even then people were surprised at how far along I was given my belly was still really small. I think it finally became obvious to strangers around week 24-26. I had one coworker who didn't notice I was pregnant until 32 weeks, but in her defense I was sitting behind a desk every time she saw me (I was standing when she finally caught on).
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am 6' 0" and started actually showing around 20 weeks or so. I then had a bump spurt around 24 weeks and now he has moved up to under my ribs in the past couple weeks, so I am REALLY showing now (30 weeks). My amniotic fluid is on the high side and that's a contributing factor, so my doctor told me. Up until 24-25 weeks though, a ton of my friends kept insisting that I didn't look pregnant at all. They would joke that I just overindulged at the buffet, LOL. I have a long torso so he has loads of room to move around. The nurses and ultrasound technicians are surprised at how much he is still moving, he hasn't quite settled into a particular position yet.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am 6' 0" and started actually showing around 20 weeks or so. I then had a bump spurt around 24 weeks and now he has moved up to under my ribs in the past couple weeks, so I am REALLY showing now (30 weeks). My amniotic fluid is on the high side and that's a contributing factor, so my doctor told me. Up until 24-25 weeks though, a ton of my friends kept insisting that I didn't look pregnant at all. They would joke that I just overindulged at the buffet, LOL. I have a long torso so he has loads of room to move around. The nurses and ultrasound technicians are surprised at how much he is still moving, he hasn't quite settled into a particular position yet.
    Compared to my SIL who's 5'10", I have a longer torso so I'm in the same boat as you as far as the uterus having more room to expand before expanding outwards. She on the otherhand showed much earlier than me and she's 5 weeks behind! Difference for me is that it seems my little one has been settled into a position for almost 2 months now with no signs of changing (which made it difficult to get 3D/4D ultrasounds when she was sleeping as she kept turning away lol). Hopefully this doesn't change and she doesn't move into the wrong position right before L&D xD
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 weeks with my first baby and I finally started REALLY showing at about 18 weeks. Up until then I just looked portly and none of my clothes fit. Like tcrofford said, I also had a belly growth spurt about 3 weeks ago and went from still looking not so much pregnant as chubby to unequivocally PREGNANT.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Compared to my SIL who's 5'10", I have a longer torso so I'm in the same boat as you as far as the uterus having more room to expand before expanding outwards. She on the otherhand showed much earlier than me and she's 5 weeks behind! Difference for me is that it seems my little one has been settled into a position for almost 2 months now with no signs of changing (which made it difficult to get 3D/4D ultrasounds when she was sleeping as she kept turning away lol). Hopefully this doesn't change and she doesn't move into the wrong position right before L&D xD

I go on Instagram and look at women's third trimester pics (because it's fun and I think pregnant ladies are gorgeous!), and it's AMAZING how different it is for everyone who is in the same range as me! One lady was also 30 weeks and you could barely tell she was even pregnant, she was so tiny. Others look like they're about to explode. It's cool how it's so unique for everyone. I think what happened the past week is what you said - my uterus is moving "out" now.

My doctors are astounded at how much Brock moves, he's so active. He's my first so that's what I am used to and it's normal for me, but several friends have told me about their babies not moving much, not cooperating during ultrasounds, etc. My perinatologist said I have "a wild one" LOL!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and started showing around 16 weeks. It was slight, but my husband and I could see a tiny bump forming.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 weeks with my 4th, and I really didn't become noticeable until a couple of weeks ago. Even at work, though, you can't tell much. Granted, I work at a jail and we wear potato sacks I wear. And honestly, I just looked fat until I was already in the 3rd Trimester. I'm 5'1", btw.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I started showing noticeably at 20wks. I am 5'5. I started out at a lower weight, so in the beginning it just looked like I was putting weight on, but my belly popped out at 20wks. This is my 2nd baby.

16wk
    temporary-10.jpg
    18wk
    18wks.jpg
    20 wk
    20wks.jpg