strength training?

Options
vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
How much strength training do you do in conjunction with triathlon training? Do you find it helps?

After talking with a friend, I decided I should do more strength training. I did a session with a trainer today, and I will do one next week. This is NOT something I can afford weekly, but I have "given" myself a few sessions to learn more about strength training. My 30 minute session today KICKED MY BUTT. Seriously. I think I need this, and I am hoping it will improve things like my biking. Thoughts? Experiences? I'm interested in what triathletes think about this because our workouts are so intense anyway.

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Strength training will almost certainly improve your triathlon performance, and definitely will help your cycling. I come from a cycling background, and the incline leg press and squat rack have long been my friends.

My current program is based around Mark Allen's 12 recommended strength exercises. Link: http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises

I've built it into a 15 week winter program; I lift three days per week currently. When I switch to a spring/summer program, I will likely drop down to twice weekly lifting, at a slightly lower intensity. Right now though, I'm okay with my interval and speed workouts suffering in exchange for building power.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Traditional triathlon logic will say no. The best way to get better at triathlon is to work at the disciplines. That you can build strength in the pool with various tools like paddles. That you can build strength on the bike with low cadence intervals. That you can build strength on the run with hill repeats.

I as a former powerlifter resisted this way of thinking for a long time, but for the most part it's true. Lifting works type II muscles. Longer course triathlons require more type I muscle. It honestly doesn't take that much power to maintain 20 mph on the bike. Now do you have the endurance to maintain that power over 3-7 hours? You won't get that from weights.

I still lift because I like to and because I find it easier to lose weight while doing so. Alternative strength training like pilates is better suited for this endeavor than lifting.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Traditional triathlon logic will say no. The best way to get better at triathlon is to work at the disciplines. That you can build strength in the pool with various tools like paddles. That you can build strength on the bike with low cadence intervals. That you can build strength on the run with hill repeats.

I as a former powerlifter resisted this way of thinking for a long time, but for the most part it's true. Lifting works type II muscles. Longer course triathlons require more type I muscle. It honestly doesn't take that much power to maintain 20 mph on the bike. Now do you have the endurance to maintain that power over 3-7 hours? You won't get that from weights.

I still lift because I like to and because I find it easier to lose weight while doing so. Alternative strength training like pilates is better suited for this endeavor than lifting.

This is really interesting. NO...I cannot maintain 20mph on the bike for 3-7 hours. Biking is my worst, so I am more of a 15mph biker. I really want to improve that area, but I am finding it hard for a variety of reasons. First, it is getting cold. Second, I just don't have the hours it takes. I only get time to ride long once a week. I guess I was hoping weights would help. I think I will try the pilates thing. I've never done pilates, but my gym offers classes.
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is not a pro cyclist or triathlete in the world that is not doing off-bike training, right now, in the off season.

Google image search Desiree Ficker, sexy yes, but strrrrrrong.

Just don't do 1 rep max of shrugs or curls with 10 minutes rest in between, LOL.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There is not a pro cyclist or triathlete in the world that is not doing off-bike training, right now, in the off season.

Google image search Desiree Ficker, sexy yes, but strrrrrrong.

Just don't do 1 rep max of shrugs or curls with 10 minutes rest in between, LOL.

Not that I don't agree but what a pro triathlete does has little or no bearing on what age groupers, especially beginners, should be doing. It's their job. They do this all day, every day. They have people plan their training regiments to the minute. They make sure they get in sufficient rest at the correct times. It's like when I see bb'ers try to mimic Arnold's or Jay's routines, silly. Again not saying strength training away from the 3 disciplines isn't fruitful, but the argument that the pros do is so we should too is a stretch.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There's a 4-phase weights plan out there somewhere: adaptation, strength, endurance, chiseling. Might be worth looking at the first three from a tri point of view. Yes, you won't get full on endurance from weights, but it's possible to improve the endurance fibres with weights and I'm guessing in less time than the equivalent time to that result on a bike.

The disciplines themselves, of course, increase CV endurance as well as muscle endurance. For me, my CV for biking & swimming is fine thanks to a running base and it's the musclar endurance I need to work on.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I was training for Sprint's and Olympics I was able to work in some strength training. However, once I stepped up to a half and then eventually a full there was no way I could figure out how to work a regular job, be home with family and find time to include strength training. I would agree that it would no doubt help you with your overall performance but figuring out where to fit it in is difficult for the typical age grouper. If I have a choice of 1 hour in the pool or 1 hour doing strength training, I believe the hour in the pool working on race specific skills is much more valuable.