TTC with PCOS looking for friends in the same boat

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm a 32 year old with PCOS, I've been very overweight for most of my life and decided to get serious about losing weight in Feb of this year to increase my chances of conception. I've lost a significant amount of weight since then, but still have over 80 pounds to lose. If you are in a similar situation please add me, It would be great to get to know other people on similar journeys ;)

Replies

• crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed about a month ago as me and my husband have been ttc for over a year now. While I am relived to have a diagnoses now, I am still worried we may not be able to have children. I am working on getting healthier and will be put on Clomid soon to help with conception. Feel free to add me if you'd like!!
  • Karamelicious
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago and I would like to conceive next year sometime but I would like to get my body and/or hormones somewhat stable first. I don’t want to do it just to conceive I would like to do it for me as well. I would like to create the best environment for my baby to grow beforehand. I want to be as healthy as I possibly can be to give myself the best chance of conceiving and keeping a baby to full term. I'm not the best with my eating habits, so if you are looking for someone already on point it's not me. But feel free to add me. I'm starting my journey over so for now it's baby steps but I'll try and keep you motivated as much as possible wether I fall off my wagon or not. :o) Good luck hun. keep your head up!
  • BlondeNklutzi
    BlondeNklutzi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also TTC. I was blessed enough to conceive my first child fairly quickly (about four months of NTNP), but am having absolutely no success in conceiving a second time around. I've been working to lose weight, which is difficult, as I really like food and I'm kind of lazy. I know I need to, and I am determined to, but damn why does it have to be so hard!

My hubby and I have been TTC for about 16 months now. That whole time I have been having 15 day cycles, so my doctor has put me on Metformin, and we have done two rounds of Norethindrone to try to "reset" my cycles. No dice. Now, out of the blue, I'm on day 61 of my cycle. I'm not pregnant, just frustrated at this point. I should be having an appointment with my gyno soon, as soon as my insurance approves it. Last time I saw him he mentioned that if my cycles stayed short he might put me on birth control for a couple months to help my hormones level out. Anyone know if there is anything to help with extremely long cycles?
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Up until a few months ago I was completely in the same boat as many of you.

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years. The emotional roller-coaster is something I would not wish on anyone. They say living with infertility is like dealing with a loved one who has a terminal illness. As you all know, It's hard to say the least.

I only became overweight in my early 20's. I'm not sure how it happened... it just snuck up on me. I never really bothered to worry about it....Until I was 31 and still not able to have given my husband a child.

I decided to get serious. I had about 60 pounds to lose. I didn't take any medication even though the doctor prescribed it. I tried to but the pills made me feel terrible and I felt as though I was losing control of my body. I lost about 25 in 7 months and on month 8 I found out I was pregnant. I am now only (cross fingers....sticky bean) 10 weeks along..... but it's an amazing feeling to even know that creating life is possible for my husband and I.

I just wanted to write to tell you; every workout and vegetable is worth it. Even losing some of your weight can make the difference that is needed. It doable, it's achievable, and it's awesome. Keep going!!!! You are all amazing and doing wonderful. :flowerforyou:
  • ambers80
    ambers80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HI! I am TTC'n & have PCOS. Hubs & I have been TTC for 4 years now. 2 miscarriages. On metformin lost 32 lbs after being put on it in 2010. Was just recently told monday by my RE that I need to lose about 30 more before he wants to start treatments again. Good luck to all of you!!
  • vwchel
    vwchel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I was hoping I could join this group.

I was diagnosed with PCOS around September 2008 after nearly a year of TTC with no luck. I met with an RE and by February 2009 we conceived our son with the help of Clomid and Metformin. DH and I have been TTC #2 since September. Unfortunately we haven't been able to use Clomid yet due to scheduling conflicts, but I'm hoping January is our month. As for weight, I was over 200 when I got pg, gained 29, dropped about 50, then gained about 20 back. This summer I met with a nutritionist and got back on MFP. I have lost about 27 since summer. I am 5 lbs away from my first goal weight, then ideally I would like to lose another 20 after that.I was hoping that weight loss alone would be enough to get pg, but so far no luck. So far I haven't been working out, but I think it's definitely time to add that into my weight loss program. Feel free to add me.

Side note, someone mentioned they didn't like the feeling Metformin gave them. I agree with that, I stopped taking it for a while. Lately though I cut way back on carbs and suddenly the Met isn't so bad. If you want to try the Met, try adjusting your carb levels and see if that helps.

Good luck with your TTC, sending positive vibes!
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Me! Expecting the official diagnosis on Monday and hoping they start me on Clomid right away. I was underweight in high school and early college (no eating disorder or anything, just scrawny), so when I came off the pill after 8 years I thought my periods would be normal. First cycle after stopping the pill was 33 days, then 52, then 58, and then 64. Not a good trend! I work from home so have fairly sedentary days. My goal (other than to get knocked up, obviously), is to walk 30 minutes everyday in the afternoon, and ellipt or do zumba a few times a week. I'd like to get down to the lower end of a healthy BMI.

Good luck ladies!
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Up until a few months ago I was completely in the same boat as many of you.

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years. The emotional roller-coaster is something I would not wish on anyone. They say living with infertility is like dealing with a loved one who has a terminal illness. As you all know, It's hard to say the least.

I only became overweight in my early 20's. I'm not sure how it happened... it just snuck up on me. I never really bothered to worry about it....Until I was 31 and still not able to have given my husband a child.

I decided to get serious. I had about 60 pounds to lose. I didn't take any medication even though the doctor prescribed it. I tried to but the pills made me feel terrible and I felt as though I was losing control of my body. I lost about 25 in 7 months and on month 8 I found out I was pregnant. I am now only (cross fingers....sticky bean) 10 weeks along..... but it's an amazing feeling to even know that creating life is possible for my husband and I.

I just wanted to write to tell you; every workout and vegetable is worth it. Even losing some of your weight can make the difference that is needed. It doable, it's achievable, and it's awesome. Keep going!!!! You are all amazing and doing wonderful. :flowerforyou:

That's great! I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My husband & I have been trying to baby #3 for 18 months now but I've only been on metformin since September 2012. In the last 18 months, based on tracking my bbt I have ovulated 4 or 5 times. We are on our 4th metformin cycle, so hopefully this one is it. If not, we should be able to start a clomid cycle in March. (ob wanted us to try for 6 months on met)

I've lost about 30 lbs since July, but haven't done that well lately. I'm trying to get back on the wagon now, hopefully a little more weight loss will do the trick.
  • Lozx87
    Lozx87 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hi im 24 already have a 4 year old daughter for the last 2 years me and my fiance have been ttc no2 doctors kept sayin wait time will tell let nature take its course so i went to a different doctors and i am now getting sent for blood tests and she mentioned about starting me on clomid which i'm hoping for.

i was diagnosed with pcos while i was still in high school around about 15-16 years old please dont judge but i was reckless and fell pregnant but miscarried which led them to find my pcos. when i asked what i could do all they said was lose weight other people that i know have been ive metformin to help them lose the weight when i suggested it to my doctor he just turned around and said that it wouldn't help me with out giving me anything else so i have been on my own since.

But hopefully now i will get the right help and they ive me clomid to help us i know people have gone longer but 2 years feels like a lifetime.
  • lisainwestphilly
    lisainwestphilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I'm returning to MFP after being gone for a bit and am hoping to find some new friends. I am 36, PolyCyster, and I am TTC. The stress of treatments (Clomid, Ovidrel, and IUI currently) along with other issues helped me gain 20 pounds I worked really hard to lose last year so I clearly need support not only to deal with stress, but also to get my body healthier so I can actually conceive! If you are in a similar situation OR if you have been successful in getting through something similar I'd love to hear from you! Best of luck to everyone!
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also 32 with PCOS and have been TTC since June 2008. We tried on our own for 18mos before getting help. My OBGYN put me on clomid for 3 cycles with no success. Turned out my DH has low sperm count (2 million per cc/ should be 20 million or more). We then went to Shady Grove Fertility and went through two rounds of IVF with ICSI. Again no success. They did not put me on Metformin to regulate my PCOS during treatment which likely had a role to play in our failure.

We have taken the past 16 months off because I gained back the 50 lbs I had lost in 2010 while going through treatment. I am losing it again before I go for my third and final attempt.

I wish you the best of luck in your TTC and weight loss journey.
    Katie
  • littleemama
    littleemama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed with PCOS in October 2010 and started metformin 500mg twice a day (Dr wanted me to do 3x but my stomach said no way). I was able to lose about 15 pounds and by May 2011 I was pregnant. I had my first child Feb 2012 and just started back on metformin in October again and have not been ovulating yet. I just started this week to work out again though. I had actually lost most (all but 5 pounds) of my pregnancy weight until I went back to work. Now I'm up 10 more pounds. I'm hoping that by losing some weight again I will be able to ovulate with only metformin because my husband and I are unsure if we want to go the Clomid route. Good Luck Ladies!
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Me too! 32 years old, LOTS of pounds overweight, diagnosed PCOS in 2007, married in 2011, and finally getting around to taking my fertility seriously. Started charting BBT about 2 months ago, but so far no obvious patterns to observe. Started Metformin (500mg/day of extended release) a couple weeks ago, so it's probably too soon to observe any change. Anyway, I'm looking for MFP friends to keep myself motivated and inspired. Feel free to add me. :)
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I was here just a year ago. I am 23 and have been overweight since I became sexually active..I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. I always had insane periods that would last sometimes up to 3 months straight and sometimes i would only have one a year. my husband and i weren't necessarily TTC but weren't being safe. I was on 2000mg/day of metformin since 2010 and didn't notice it doing anything for me, i really didnt feel it necessary to be on it but stayed on it anyway. In May of 2011 I hit my highest weight of 236.6 lbs (I am only 5'1" so I was VERY overweight and unhealthy) I decided to join mfp and change my life. Right at a year later and 86 pounds lighter I found out I was pregnant. It was the most amazing surprise I'd ever gotten!

Today my son Jaxon is 5 weeks and 1 day old. I am certain it was due to losing weight and getting healthy so do not give up! losing weight will make you feel better in so many ways and could possibly increase your fertility!

feel free to add me :)
  • TheWildOne
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS after trying to conceive with my DH for 16 months. I am extremely overweight (280 lbs) but every time I tried to lose weight, it just wouldn't go. I was just prescribed Metformin and am starting the dosage slowly to avoid the side-effects. My RE says it should help with the weight loss and I was also prescribed birth control pills to regulate my period for the next few months. I told her I would try to lose weight for the next few months before trying again so hopefully this will be do the trick because I'm tired of seeing pregnant women everywhere but in the mirror! And yes, I do want to be healthy for my child and myself, but let's face it, I have a long time before I get back to that weight and my biological clock will only tick for so long! Feel free to add me!

Becky
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi new here! I was 200lbs when I found out I had PCOS. I lost weight naturally with a lot of dedication and was able to conceive my first son Isaac. He is now 20 months old and we've been trying to conceive and it just wasn't happening. Given I have let go of the things that got me to the point of conceiving Isaac in the first place. I have let myself go of far too long. I put myself in a back burner, I put my family on a back burner. I have put my foot down and said enough. I did it before and I will do it again. Though this time its very different I have a son who takes up my entire day. I am no longer just responsible for myself I am a full time mother too. I am not going to lie it is quite a bit harder. I too need encouragement and support. I am 182 I was 140 when I got pregnant! I was 165 post partum and I cannot believe I have gained nearly 20lbs from then till now. I nursed him up until two weeks ago. No nursing did nothing for my weight loss as you can see but I dont regret it. He is still very much worth every pound I have gained. What it comes down to is its crunch time. I need to be healthy for me, for my husband and for my son.

When I was down in pounds I was up in health and in control of my body and symptoms. I hate the feeling I have now of no control of myself, my body, my emotions.