The Hobbit

Options
How many times has this came up in conversation with you in the last couple of weeks?

7 for me.
Rather low, rather disappointing.

Replies

• AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Plenty. My wife and I are going to see it at the weekend, so we've had to arrange babysitting. This necessitates conversation. :)
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Also sadly on the low end for me. There was the phone call with the lady at the bookstore because my order came in (my Hobbit copy needed replacement desperately) then making plans with my dad and brother to go the the midnight showing and that's it.

So sad.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Pretty often, couple times a day. My son is reading it and we are planning to see it, so it comes up a lot. And I'm so excited it's ridiculous, that could be why it comes up too.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    A lot actually. We are going to see it with a large group of friends Friday. However the more we see the ads the more we think Jackson might have pulled a Lucas with this one. :/ we are hoping to be pleasantly surprised. (I don't see how he can make 3 movies out of one book.......) My husband I are skeptical.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    A lot actually. We are going to see it with a large group of friends Friday. However the more we see the ads the more we think Jackson might have pulled a Lucas with this one. :/ we are hoping to be pleasantly surprised. (I don't see how he can make 3 movies out of one book.......) My husband I are skeptical.
    My concern as well. And when did it become a trilogy?? Last I knew it was only supposed to be a two-parter and even then...
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Almost nobody I live or work with cares about it, so no chat on that front. Husband might sit through it with me, but usually only will do things like that on my birthday. I really don't want to go alone, so I might try to find some people on Meetup to go here in Richmond.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    luckily my boss is also a nerd and we've been watching videos on youtube for months now. she's also helped me print off full size wheel of time maps. she's awesome. we're both seeing it tonight.
  • ThePinupChef
    ThePinupChef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sadly, not as often as I would have liked.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it Friday evening, if they aren't sold out.

Nobody at work really cares about it and nobody in my family is going to see it.

I, however, have decided to be excited about it and as a result I grabbed my copy off the bookshelf and am re-reading it!! :)
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seeing it at midnight!

I'm also concerned about the three movie thing. That's like one movie per 100 pages of the book. Hopefully it will be good. they have such an excellent cast though!
  • AndyStanford
    Options
    The way they've spread it out is by including a ton of the stuff out of the Appendices of Lord of the Rings, detailing the build-up to the War, in particular all the stuff the Gandalf gets up to when leaves Bilbo & the Dwarves to it. That easily doubles the page count that's being adapted.

That said, I'm also dubious about them making it into 3 films, although as shown by the LotR trilogy, battles which Tolkien spent a handful of pages describing can easily run to 30 mins or more on film. I'm thinking the Battle of Five Armies will be much like that.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    The way they've spread it out is by including a ton of the stuff out of the Appendices of Lord of the Rings, detailing the build-up to the War, in particular all the stuff the Gandalf gets up to when leaves Bilbo & the Dwarves to it. That easily doubles the page count that's being adapted.
    Well then the Tolkien nerd in me is very happy to hear that the appendices contents will get some attention...they are often overlooked but they are so packed with wonderful, elaborate history and information.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Well then the Tolkien nerd in me is very happy to hear that the appendices contents will get some attention...they are often overlooked but they are so packed with wonderful, elaborate history and information.

I'm excited now. Especially to see that stuff told in a story context, and not just as a history. I read The Silmarilion awhile back, in the heigh of my lotr fandom days, and while there was so much good stuff, it was just so dry. It will be nice to see some non-book stuff told this way.
  • AndyStanford
    Options
    Yeah, the Sil does take a certain degree of determination to get through, although I think it'd transfer to screen really well. Plenty of conflict, drama etc. just a shame that no-one will ever get the rights to adapt it.
  • StarTrekkinDelta
    StarTrekkinDelta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Brother is seeing it as we speak! Super jealous. If I wasn't sick, I'd be there!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hoping to go and see this with my mother and husband on Boxing Day - just waiting to be able to book tickets. I'm concerned about how such a thin book can be extended to three films, but we will just have to see.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My kiddo saw it last night with friends - I would have seen it with her, but she got invited to go as a b-day celebration with one of her classmates - friends are more fun than mom. :tongue: And mom likes sleep. Haha. Poor hubby picked her up at 3am this morning. I hate weekend crowds that are not premiere crowds, so we're seeing it on Tuesday morning - looking forward to it.

Here's a couple of pics of my kiddo in her hobbit costume from last night:

8271821027_a06edce56c.jpg

And picking up a b-day card at Target on our way to the theater. :)
    8271841139_6dd4d80a6b.jpg

She didn't wear the feet to the movie because we were afraid they'd get messed up standing outside (brand new slippers, early Christmas gift). So Converse on a hobbit is what she went with.
  • ZL9685
    ZL9685 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I live in New Zealand - there is no possible way to escape The Hobbit for at least another few weeks, its even on the postage stamps on my mail lately. Though it is pretty hilarious. Sadly not from Welly so couldn't go to World Premiere :(
  • love her costume haha, it's great