Holiday Challenge!!

Options
Hi all,
Just an idea. Most people put on weight over the holiday season. The adverts on the radio here in Australia, where I am, are stating that the average person nationally gains a whopping 2kg from Mid -d December through til after new Year's. Here's my challenge to you all - Let's maintain. That is - not gain, but not lose either if you don't want to. Of course most of us here will be aiming to lose, but don't feel defeated if you don't and you merely maintain!

Now the second part of the challenge. Post you menus! Provide the recipes if you can and challenge people within this group to try new ideas!!

For us here in North-Western Qld's, we are having a BBQ - so it will be a very nice cut of steak (about 150grams each), salads (usually garden [that's the one I chose to eat], potato, egg and pasta), a baked ham - but again, keeping it simple... I glaze it with brandy and honey and bake it in the BBQ. I also like to do a variety of baked vegetables - so carrots, potatoes, pumpkin (I think most Americans call this squash), sweet potato and the like. To cook these I peel them, then microwave them for 5 min or so, then spray the cooking pan with olive or canola oil, spread the vegies in the pan and respray the tops of them, add a small pinch of salt and baked them int he oven until they are golden.

Desert for us is a plain affair - I'm sure the mother in law will bring a cake, that's fine, I don't eat it! So for the rest of us it is likely to be fruit (all those delicious summer ones) and low fat ice cream.

So the challenge has been issued!! I will add other holiday meals I am planning over the next couple of weeks. If you want any recipes from me, I am happy to hand them over.

Good luck, happy eating

Erika

Replies

• I'm all for maintaining! Let's do this!!!
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Here! Here! I'm all in for maintaining as well:)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my new favorite holiday appetizers because they are soooooooooo easy to make, you can keep all the supplies on hand, very tasty and not a beltline buster:

Hummus Tarts

1 package frozen phyllo tart shells (usually 15 in a box)
    1/2 c hummus
    1/8 c olive tapenade
    1 tbl shredded parmesan

Thaw shells according to package. Fill shells with hummus and top with a bit of tapenade and a sprinkling of shredded parm and eat!
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my new favorite holiday appetizers because they are soooooooooo easy to make, you can keep all the supplies on hand, very tasty and not a beltline buster:

Hummus Tarts

1/2 c hummus
    1/8 c olive tapenade
    1 tbl shredded parmesan

Thaw shells according to package. Fill shells with hummus and top with a bit of tapenade and a sprinkling of shredded parm and eat!

ebr250: Thanks for sharing this!!! Okay, I've gotta try this! Looks too yummy!!!
  • Here is one of my new favorite holiday appetizers because they are soooooooooo easy to make, you can keep all the supplies on hand, very tasty and not a beltline buster:

Hummus Tarts

1/2 c hummus
    1/8 c olive tapenade
    1 tbl shredded parmesan

Holy cow, that sounds amazing. I have to try it!